Icky Thump - New White Stripes album

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Icky Thump"? Seriously? That's what they're calling the album?

Also: they're now on my shit list for re-sizing my browser window without asking. I fucking hate that. When I'm king, people who do that will be sent to the dungeons.

I thought it was Ecky Thump, from The Goodies TV Show - it's a martial art from the North of England. :lol

Correct spelling. Change the thread title Welsh Rich or I will be forced to By 'Eck you. I'm a black belt in ferret wrestling y'know.

Unsurprising that a new White Stripes album was imminent. They recently signed a one-album deal, which kinda suggested that the one-album would arrive soon.

all reports i've read about it have icky, ecky

Yeah, the report says they misspelled it on purpose for "kicks" and "metaphors" and to avoid a potential lawsuit from Billy Eckstine.

mojo-announcement-1.jpg

And from whitestripes.com:

Hello to all the Candy Cane Children in the land,

The White Stripes have completed the recording and mixing of their sixth album. It is entitled:

"Icky Thump"

and is their first album to include a title track, which curiously (and not ironically) has the same words in it's name. Though some residents of northern England might almost recognize the title, The Stripes stress they are spelling it wrong intentionally just for "kicks" and "metaphors", and to avoid a possible lawsuit from the estate of Billy Eckstine.

The record was recorded in Nashville at Blackbird Studio. And word around the sewing circle is that many of your favorite White Stripe type songs may not be your favorite (pronounced favaright) White Stripe type songs for long.

Some song titles include:

Catch Hell Blues

Little Cream Soda

Monkeys Have It Easy (discarded)

Rag And Bone

Clicky Bump (retitled into something pleasant)

Blue Orchid (relocated to previous album)

and

You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)

It was the longest time the delightful duo have ever spent in the studio, totaling almost three weeks. Jack and Meg were said to have been looking like they were "into it almost". And even Meg herself was quoted while leaving a local Nashville laundromat saying that the record was, in her best estimate; "finished", "musical in nature" and lastly, though slightly muffled, "good".

The Stripes will be releasing a statement soon saying: "we are doing our best (whatever that is) to release the album as soon as corporately possible. And though we are tired, worn, weary, hungry, cold, and left without an ounce of nutrition amongst ourselves, we are in the midst of planning performance type shows aroundst the world."

Here now is a short film clip of The Stripes working on a thoroughly rough and ghastly early version of a track from the new album entitled "I'm Slowly Turning Into You"... HI | LO

(the actual music has been replaced with mid eighties sampling keyboard technology to prevent what industry analysts are now calling "song poaching")

By:

Kitayna Ireyna Tatanya Kerenska Alisof

Reporting for the

MOSCOW BUGLE

:dancing :rock :dance :wub

I thought it was Ecky Thump, from The Goodies TV Show - it's a martial art from the North of England. :lol

I have never seen my brother laugh so hard as he still laughs at any mention of "ecky thump". :lol

I will admit that it did grow on me but to have that much talent and to not have something mind-blowing is still a disappointment. I was really hyped up about it because I loved the Stripes and Benson a lot. The end results just wasn't as great as it was on paper.

Haha! :D

After The Raconteurs album and their last one, I kinda feel the same way. I loved the Blue Orchid and My Doorbell, but the rest didn't excite me.

Maybe it's just me. The WS do pretty much nothing for me musically. I would totally shag Meg but that is hardly the point.

Have you seen the Stripes live?

I was absolutely floored when seeing the Stripes live in KC a couple years back. That they can procuce so much sound with just 2 people is amazing. And White strutting around with his guitar....especially on a song like Death Letter...is mesmerizing. And I love the passion and expression of White's voice...especially live.

I agree that Blue Orchid wasn't super great, but I think the Raconteurs is a super solid rock album. "Blue Veins" alone is worth the cd price.

I never reall liked WS, and everyone told me I needed to see them live. Fair enough, i tried...i missed a show, but I caught a live performance from a DVD. It was worse. :hmm

Black Keys, anybody? I know the comparision is tired, but still...