Icky Thump - New White Stripes album

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crow, that's a great single. Can't wait for a proper leak!

Also, the band has announced their Canadian tour, for those interested. There are some pretty interesting dates scheduled, too, in a lot of places that don't normally get big honkin' rock shows. I just about pooped my draws when I saw that they'd be playing not only most of the Maritimes and east coast, but also Yellowknife, Whitehorse and Iqualuit. They'll be flyin' 'em in for that last one. And even then, I bet it'll be the most intimate show they've played since they were unknowns.

The Nurse and marimba is probably what got me interested in the band. Honestly, before I didn't get into the hype and guitar/drum setup, but when I read some reviews and they mentioned the different instruments it got me to listen to clips and I liked them enough to buy the album. I didn't think they were horrible or anything, just nothing made me want to look any further. GBMS did. Never crazy about Blue Orchid either.

I agree that Take Take Take is killer, too.

Friday afternoon (or tomorrow afternoon whilst taking a break from studying) I'm going to learn me that riff in Icky. I can't get it out of my head. The weird little blips in the studio will translate into some sweet, sweet soloing on the road. Who's coming to Iqaluit with me???

This single is sooo good. And I got nothing but mad respect for the stripes for playing the territories. They're playing right by my school in Burnaby, sadly, I'll be back in Prince George for my birthday that week. Sigh!

pretty sure it's just processed guitar :)

I think it's a processed bagpipe, made to sound like a guitar, which really makes no sense at all. I've heard this a few more times now, and I don't like it much. It sounds to me like someone working out some guitar parts that they are going to put into a real song, but have yet to get round to doing so - it's just a bit too stop/start and also show-offy for me. The lyrics are pretty shocking too: "Well Americans - what nothing better to do? Why don't you kick yourselves out - you're an immigrant too. Who's using who? What should we do? Well you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too!" Saying that, I didn't like Blue Orchid and ended up enjoying the sound of the rest of GBMS a lot, so I still hold out hope for the new album.