Icky Thump - New White Stripes album

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with those lyrics?

I just think they're naff. I normally believe him to be quite a good lyricist alot of the time, but this sounds like something (as someone pointed out on another forum) Rik from The Young Ones would have written. Plus it's an over-simplification. Plus it's just trite.

1104502521_cturesrick.jpg

I finally downloaded it...I'm thinking the fade-out's probably not "single only," considering there are several other White Stripes songs that end that way: The Air Near My Fingers, Hello Operator, Forever For Her...to name a few off the top of my head.

wow definitely not what i was expected but it fucking rocks... gotta get used to the little electronic bagpipe part in the middle

It's actually just a primitive synth from what I understand. The same one used on "Telstar," in fact. I think I read that on pitchfork, maybe?

I've heard bagpipes referenced for some other songs, but not this one. I still haven't heard it, so I can't judge for myself, but I can believe it's a bagpipe, I can believe it is a guitar, but there is no way chance that it is a synth. I am certain of this without hearing it.

it's not bad, but it so doesn't fit the overall vibe of the album and as a result sticks out like a sore thumb (ie: obvious single). shoulda been held over for a diff album or released as a b-side imo.

plus like i said above, the lyrics are lame imo... musically it's fine

but it so doesn't fit the overall vibe of the album and as a result sticks out like a sore thumb

Yeah, I guess you're right now that I'm listening to the rest of that record. It would have actually been a good candidate for a non-album single (remember when bands used to do those?) that could have come out a couple of months before the new album.

I've heard bagpipes referenced for some other songs, but not this one. I still haven't heard it, so I can't judge for myself, but I can believe it's a bagpipe, I can believe it is a guitar, but there is no way chance that it is a synth. I am certain of this without hearing it.

"Apparently, there's no piano on the album, but there is a synthesizer on the song "Icky Thump", which happens to be the same synthesizer used on the Tornados' legendary "Telstar"."

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news...humpi-tracklist