Son Volt - The Search

Okay, so I've downloaded the new album (or maybe I haven't) and listened to it a couple times, and I'm pretty sure I like it. I definitely like the second half better than the first at this point. I'm glad to hear something different, but I do miss the Boquists an awful lot. Some of it sounds like he's trying too hard to me, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Anyone else?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reviews I see seem to be very positive on the whole, but I stumbled across his website yesterday and a couple of songs were streaming. I don't know; it didn't do anything for me. I had a similar reaction to caliber's -- it seems that he is trying to hard.

I will reserve judgment until I hear the whole album -- maybe tonight -- but at first blush I wasn't all that impressed. FWIW, I really liked Okemah.

Great record. The first side is airtight, and side two has its share of gems, too (notably "Methamphetamine" and "L-Train"). It's one hell of a lot better than what we've heard of the new Wilco, anyway, which isn't a side of the fence I ever thought I'd see myself on.

Stangely enough, I have almost no desire to hear this record.

OK. but what did you think if American Beer? at the time of it's release, I didn't care much for it, but I've recently revisitied the album and I must say, it's not too shabby.

For the record, I think Okemah was Son Volt's worst record, but it's still got some really good stuff on it. The new album has some of the same elements of Okemah (the dreaded whine), but includes some stuff (horns?) that I wouldn't expect to hear on a Son Volt album. Lots more piano than any Son Volt stuff ever had, but I guess that's to be expected, as they have added a keyboard player. I still need some more time on this one, I think.

I really like what I have heard of it so far. I do think that Jay is straining at times to hit the higher notes and I don't see why he needs to go there anyway. The album kicks off a bit weak but it does grow stronger as you journey through it. Circadian Rhythm, Methamphetamine, Adrenaline Heresy and Highways&Cigarettes are top drawer stuff.

I haven't heard the album yet, but from what folks are saying about it (e.g. horns, piano, etc.), I'm thinking that maybe The Search is similar to Jay's solo stuff. Would y'all agree?

In fairness, the horns are only on one track and I think it kinda works. It was a bit strange at first but it works for the song. Some of the songs towards the end of the album are brilliant.

I am not a big fan of them myself either, or the saxaphone come to think of it. I hate this Jay vs Jeff thing. It smacks of high school triballism. Isn't there enough manufactured pop shite out there to rail against rather than bitch and moan about two decent musicians and their work? If you don't like one or the other, fair enough. No need to denigrate and deride their work if it is not to your taste though.

Apropos of nought....the nicest musician I ever met was Willy Vlautin from Richmond Fontaine. He sat and drank and chatted with us at our table after their gig a week or so back. Top notch dude.