Now playing March 2007

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brmc - baby 81

i'm not sure if i like this or not... i really liked howl a lot... but i'm only on the 4th song so we'll see...

On first listen, I think it might be their best yet. But its early days.

Really like it though.

gotta disagree there :)

Rise Up In The Dirty, Soft & Warm, and the title cut are my 3 favorite Voxtrot songs still to this date

it's close though. like i'd give MSDW a 9, Wolves an 8.5, and this new one a 7-7.5

i also think that the production & sound on Mothers is better than anything else they've done too (especially the full length). the sound on Wolves leaves a bit to be desired at times.

Thermals,%20The%20Body,%20The%20Blood,%20The%20Machine%20kl.jpeg

Really enjoyed these guys with the Hold Steady the other night. At the show I don't think I understood a word they said, so listening to the album I'm like "Oh, so that's what these songs are about!" :lol

d7195303724.jpg

I'm revisiting old R.E.M. that I shelved years ago and haven't really listened to since ... yesterday it was Automatic for the People, today it's this. This one has aged far better than I would have expected. Twenty years ago, to me it sounded nothing like the band's earlier albums (and I resented it for that), but now it strikes me as being much closer to its predecessors than its successors. I never thought I'd like this one very much, but I'm really enjoying it today. :)

gotta disagree there :)

Rise Up In The Dirty, Soft & Warm, and the title cut are my 3 favorite Voxtrot songs still to this date

it's close though. like i'd give MSDW a 9, Wolves an 8.5, and this new one a 7-7.5

i also think that the production & sound on Mothers is better than anything else they've done too (especially the full length). the sound on Wolves leaves a bit to be desired at times.

Ramesh seems to have substituted guitar with all those strings on the s/t. I enjoy the new album, but where did those kick ass guitar fills from MSDW (title track) go? That is my absolute favorite Voxtrot song.

NP: All Smiles - Ten Readings of a Warning

Jim Fairchild, Grandaddy guitarist, solo album. The song "Moth in a Cloud of Smoke" is fantastic, but I'm disappointed to find it's the strongest cut on here.

Twenty years ago, to me it sounded nothing like the band's earlier albums (and I resented it for that), but now it strikes me as being much closer to its predecessors than its successors.

:yes That's always been one of, if not my favorite REM album. (tho that might be because it came out at a time when I was just starting to become aware of bands "under the radar", and I remember feeling like I was in on a secret because I knew about this band before these songs started showing up on the radio)

I can see how the long-timers might not have liked the shift in direction, but in retrospect, you're right that it was much closer to its predecessors than what was to come later.

Managed the first couple of songs from Voxtrot before I got bored... sorry... think this is going to be my Midlake for 2007 :)

no, the difference is, most people on here LOOOVED Midlake's last one... i think it's a pretty big consensus so far that the new Voxtrot is a letdown, even if enjoyable ;)