Now playing March 2007

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surprised how much love the new LCD got from Pfork today.

i love it, but 9.2 is a bit high. but at least they agree it blows the doors off the first actual full length (ie: the first disc)

surprised how much love the new LCD got from Pfork today.

i love it, but 9.2 is a bit high. but at least they agree it blows the doors off the first actual full length (ie: the first disc)

I thought that too - however, that album does rock... it's the first truely essential album of 2007 along with the Arcade Fire I reckon...

I thought that too - however, that album does rock... it's the first truely essential album of 2007 along with the Arcade Fire I reckon...

it's just shy of my top faves (Andrew Bird, Wilco, Arcade Fire, Dinosaur Jr.)

that said, there's still yet to be a record that has blown my mind this year, as good as those are

s1468247.jpg

such a great album.

Somedaaaaaay, I will treat you good! :dancing

I'm still amazed every time I hear somebody talk about that record. I truly used to believe I was the only person in the world who owned that record. :lol I haven't listened in years, but "Heart of Darkness" was always one of my favorite tunes. Such a bizarre album--sometimes pleasant, sometimes noisy, sometimes just strange...but almost always beautiful in a fragile and awkward kind of way.

Thermals,%20The%20Body,%20The%20Blood,%20The%20Machine%20kl.jpeg

Really enjoyed these guys with the Hold Steady the other night. At the show I don't think I understood a word they said, so listening to the album I'm like "Oh, so that's what these songs are about!" :lol

when they first announced THAT tour, denver was on the list, only to find out later that the hold steady were NOT coming to denver... :ohwell but i still get to see the thermals on thursday. :w00t

when they first announced THAT tour, denver was on the list, only to find out later that the hold steady were NOT coming to denver... :ohwell but i still get to see the thermals on thursday. :w00t

Bummer, those two bands do somehow "fit" together and seem to enjoy touring together. I thought it was kinda cool that some of the Thermals came out and jammed with the HS during their closing song. Good times had by all.

just finished the new voxtrot. i like it quite a bit. maybe not as much as the ep's (now listening to MDSW!) but i still like it.

Just finished the two EPs and the album, only one run through yet but I am kinda underwhelmed. I mean it's ok in it's own way but it just seems like every North American indie band these days sounds like every other North American indie band. It all seems to blur into one big indie hodgepodge. Like how a hundred bands wanted to sound like Oasis back when they were flavour of the month. Maybe it is just me.

Uncut gave away a cd last month with their pick of the "New North American Indie" and that sounded the exact same. The only things that stood out for me on that cd were Tapes 'n Tapes and TV On The Radio and that Fire Eye'd Boy single from Broken Social Scene. Actually, just looking at the tracklisting I notice Voxtrot on there too with M,S,D&W and I didn't even notice it.

Oh The Dears track was pretty good too.

Maybe I am just getting old or losing my attention span.

Just finished the two EPs and the album, only one run through yet but I am kinda underwhelmed. I mean it's ok in it's own way but it just seems like every North American indie band these days sounds like every other North American indie band. It all seems to blur into one big indie hodgepodge. Like how a hundred bands wanted to sound like Oasis back when they were flavour of the month. Maybe it is just me.

Uncut gave away a cd last month with their pick of the "New North American Indie" and that sounded the exact same. The only things that stood out for me on that cd were Tapes 'n Tapes and TV On The Radio and that Fire Eye'd Boy single from Broken Social Scene. Actually, just looking at the tracklisting I notice Voxtrot on there too with M,S,D&W and I didn't even notice it.

Oh The Dears track was pretty good too.

Maybe I am just getting old or losing my attention span.

thing is, Voxtrot sound more like a UK britpop band than they do American (Belle & Sebastian + The Smiths), etc.

Yea I see where you are coming from with that and I have even heard shades of New Order in there but still I am kind of iffy on the whole thing. Maybe with another few listens it might reveal itself a little more.

it just seems like every North American indie band these days sounds like every other North American indie band. It all seems to blur into one big indie hodgepodge. Like how a hundred bands wanted to sound like Oasis back when they were flavour of the month. Maybe it is just me.

Casting a pretty broad net there, but by and large I agree with you. "Indie" can mean so many things anymore, and yet so much of it sounds pretty much the same to my ears. I guess I tend to gravitate to the bands more on the fringes. Meh, I liked it better when "indie" sounded like Pavement and Pavement sounded like everything. :thumbup aging geezer rant>