Any lyrics on the new album in particular stand out to you?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"oh i'll side with you if you side with me" reminded me of "and if you don't underestimate me i won't underestimate you."

no lyrics have really stood out.

not yet.

edit: although i like that one llynn, haha.

Consider this an experiment. To everybody not enjoying the living piss out of Wilco's best song in years ("I Hate It Here"), are you guys fans of soul at all? Y'know, John Ellison, Quincy Jones, Stax/Volt, Motown, all that? I'm guessing probably not, but I'm curious.

Haven't spent as much time listening to the lyrics yet. i'm getting there.

But the song the some have mentioned as sappy...Hate It Here...I can relate to it.

As a divorced guy, the song hit me. I was that guy a few years ago.

I already posted this in another thread, but in On & On & On, when Jeff sang 'I will live, and you will live in me', I went 'wow'.

That whole song is definitely a favourite.

:yes

its been stuck in my head for the last few hours today

The line 'Drunks are richocheting'...I can't help but feel that I've heard that line before...even from Tweedy? Or mabye it was Elliott Smith...somewhere, someone had Drunks are richocheting through the streets in a song or poem and it's driving me nuts! :lol

I trust no emotion, I believe in locomotion

I've turned to rust as we've discussed

but I must have let you down too many times

in the dirt and the dust...

-you are my face

'

:music

Consider this an experiment. To everybody not enjoying the living piss out of Wilco's best song in years ("I Hate It Here"), are you guys fans of soul at all? Y'know, John Ellison, Quincy Jones, Stax/Volt, Motown, all that? I'm guessing probably not, but I'm curious.

Jeff Tweedy is a soul singer

Yeah, Hate It Here and What Light, despite being great songs, sport some pretty cheesy lyrics. Hate It Here's aren't so bad, even as straightforeward as they are, but What Light is taken down a notch or two once you know the words.

huge stax and northern soul fan... :thumbup

i think the whole second verse in "what light" is awesome...i always think of jeff and his feelings about sharing art encapsulated in a single verse.

'you are my face' is the other song that is really hitting me hard right now in the lyrics department.