Any lyrics on the new album in particular stand out to you?

Not too excited about the lyrics on Sky Blue Sky to be honest, but then I only like really dark depressed sick lyrics anyway (thus my love for "Via Chicago" :lol). I think the lyrics on the new album fit the mood of it perfectly though.

Oh, you sick woman.....might've expected this from you. :P :headbonk

:cheekkiss

Perhaps there will be a hidden bonus track with really dark depressed sick lyrics! :cheers

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea how this happens

All of my maps have been overthrown

Happenstance has changed my plans

So many times my heart has been outgrown

Those lines just do... it. whatever the hell 'it' is to me.

Double amen!

:thumbup

i love lots of phrases and songs on the disc, but SwS particularly stands out to me as beautiful in terms of imagery and sentiment.

Tires type black

Where the blacktop cracks

Weeds spark through

Dark green enough to be blue

When the mysteries we believe in

Aren

The only thing that stands out, to me, is how much the lyrics generally suck...
Jeff does read this stuff on occasion, just so you know....
Not too excited about the lyrics on Sky Blue Sky to be honest, but then I only like really dark depressed sick lyrics anyway (thus my love for "Via Chicago" :lol). I think the lyrics on the new album fit the mood of it perfectly though.
After a couple listens only I was sort of shocked at how dark some of the lyrics really are. Frankly they are darker than I was expecting in a way. Clearly they are not as dark as earlier Wilco material, but there is a certain resignation to some of the songs and something of the singer (not necessarily Jeff) trying to have a good attitude in the face of day to day life. I love the laundry song, whatever it is called (sorry I am not up to speed on all the titles yet.)

LouieB

Guest Rufer
Besides those couple lines from What Light these are my favourites.

I am looking forward

Toward the shadows chasing bones

My face is stitched and sewing

Our houses hemmed into homes

My too but it's with the next part that gets me:

Trying to be thankful

Our stories fit into phones

And our voices lift so easily, a gift given accidentally

When we're not sure we're alone

Actually........I really really really like this (probably one of the parts you meant, Lou?):

I survived, its good enough for now

Exactly. While that isn't "dark", it is resigned. I have always said I don't believe that these songs entirely represent Jeff's state of mind exactly, because I do think he is certianly happy, but I am sure like all of us, as we get older, we take the small things to be thankful for and try and look at things as positively as we can, even in bad times.

LouieB

I have no idea how this happens

All of my maps have been overthrown

Happenstance has changed my plans

So many times my heart has been outgrown

Those lines just do... it. whatever the hell 'it' is to me.

Yeh they're great. I also really love in the middle of On and On and On, which initially seems like a heartfelt if pretty simple song comes these lines:

You can

what's up with people talking about the "dark" lyrics? I just don't get it. The lyrics are not any darker than any other album and not nearly as dark as the lyrics on Summerteeth. (was, have since been drinking, having a really downer day and have listened to it 4 times today and haven't listened to it in about a year. Feeling lonely and had to listen to "how to fight loneliness". Didn't help)

As compared to other albums that have come out recently or are coming out, SBS lyrics are much better. Couldn't stop laughing at some of the lyrics on the new Arcade Fire, and the lyrics, plus the music, is so bad on the new Bloc Party that I can't get through the first two songs. So I will continue listening to SBS, Tuvan throat singing, and Do Make Say Think.

Hi Donna,

Rocky

Hi Rocky! :wave

I was just thinking of you last night when we were in L.A. (saw Ian Hunter & the Zombies)....I was thinking it's been a long time since we've seen each other at a show. Let's plan something soon, ok? Send me a pm when you get a chance!

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled dissection of lyrics....me, I'm crazy about "the band marched on in formation...." and "the drunks were ricocheting" and pretty much all the lyrics surrounding those lines :)