Nels Cline is GOD

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can all agree to blame Jay for AM though, right?

Do I get booted out of here for loving AM then? I think it is a top three album from the band.

What?

anatomy of a dumb joke:

caliber66 - "no need to blame Jay for Wilco's perceived engineering shortcomings of the past."

me - "We can all agree to blame Jay for AM though, right?"

the "joke" being that AM was recorded before Jay Bennett was in the band, and to blame him for its shortcomings (I happen to love the album, many here don't) would be rather dumb. like me.

...and scene.

Apparently, that's somehow Jay Bennett's fault. :)

I agree, though, that the arrangement has matured over the years, which is to be expected, since Jeff's been constantly evolving and becoming more comfortable in the creative process. Nothing unusual about that, and no need to blame Jay for Wilco's perceived engineering shortcomings of the past.

Again, that Jeff decided he wanted his music to sound different (not discounting the fact, of course, that much of the music was at least partially Jay's) is a personal choice by Jeff and not an indictment of Jay Bennett. I'm sorry that you don't enjoy the previous albums as much as you might. Personally, I can't even begin to imagine how "I Got You" would have sounded with the current lineup in the studio, or if (God forbid) it might not have made Being There at all.

You latched on to the only song that is the exception for me. Though I would like to hear from this lineup.

i was just trying to say, that in MY opinion, that Nels has a more interesting style than Jay. Jay is kinda by the book. In MY opinion, that's a little boring. And I totally agree with whoever said that YHF was made in spite of Jay. Same goes for AGIB. Tweedy proved that he could write the songs and fucking rip over em' too.

i was just trying to say, that in MY opinion, that Nels has a more interesting style than Jay. Jay is kinda by the book. In MY opinion, that's a little boring. And I totally agree with whoever said that YHF was made in spite of Jay. Same goes for AGIB. Tweedy proved that he could write the songs and fucking rip over em' too.

Jay Bennett was out of Wilco more than two years before AGIB was recorded. How is it again that it was made in spite of him? One can make a case for that with YHF, since it clearly was on track to be a different album before Jay's departure, but how was he poised to ruin AGIB?

The songs would be better without Nel. He runs the scales too much....Tweedy plays with feeling, Nels plays like a guitar book. Great album...although we need more Kotche less Niles.

I'd really like to know where I can buy the book where Nels gets his guitar lines, because it's certainly not a book you are going to find everywhere, thats for damn sure.

I've never heard a guitarist sound as exciting as Nels does. He plays some of the most inventive solos I've ever heard.

I'ts all too much......too many notes...I am not impressed. Tweedy has the best guitar breaks, no need for Nels wanking away on a guitar exercise.

I dig the album... I am pleased that Nel's didn't stroke it too much, but Wilco certainly doesn't need him.

I'ts all too much......too many notes...I am not impressed. Tweedy has the best guitar breaks, no need for Nels wanking away on a guitar exercise.

I'm totally surprised anyone can feel that way about Nel's playing on SBS. IMO he's plays it pretty straight, I was afraid the album would feature the "other" Nel's. If you've ever seen his solo stuff, you know the toy guitar freakout stuff, he can get pretty out there. I think Nel's actually plays closer to the way Jay Bennett would have approached SBS than anyone expected. But you are right on about Jeff's playing, he's really "calmed down" since AGIB. His playing has improved alot in 3 years.