Nels Cline is GOD

I'm a bit biased because I've seen Wilco live twice with Nels and never with Bennett, but I personally believe Nels to be the more exciting and innovative of the two. Jay was (is? what's he doing nowadays) amazing, and he was definitely a vital part of Wilco's evolution as a band, but overall he wasn't doing anything new with the instrument. Nels on the other hand is doing things noone's ever heard before-I'm consistently blown away by his solos. He might not be the perfect fit for Wilco, but I love it. In concert at least-personally I'm waiting till SBS is officially to give it a listen, so I still don't know how he fits in with their studio work.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nels plays a strat. Usually I don't like strats.

Just like I am with antique furniture and midgets. You know that, I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget, a strat or a piece of antique furniture. :P

Anyhow, his lead on Impossible Germany is amazing. This lead is the first lead ever IMHO that even suggests a strat is actually made out of wood. The tone is luscious.

Since when does Nels play a strat?

Doh! What does he play then? I always thought he played a strat in concert. :blush

Oh, he plays a jazzmaster. Now that makes sense. I was going to buy one about 10 years ago, had the cash in hand and everything. I regret not getting that guitar.

Doh! What does he play then? I always thought he played a strat in concert. :blush

Oh, he plays a jazzmaster. Now that makes sense. I was going to buy one about 10 years ago, had the cash in hand and everything. I regret not getting that guitar.

I'd regret that, too. I wasn't sure if maybe Nels was playing strats these days, or maybe used one from Jeff's extensive guitar collection for the recordings.

Now that I think of it, I think Nels did play a strat in his '90s band Bloc. He described them as a "double strat attack" band and said their record was probably the most '80s sounding record recorded/released in the '90s. I found their cd on ebay or amazon, or something, for 2 or 3 bucks. It's a challenge to listen to it.

Anyhow, his lead on Impossible Germany is amazing. This lead is the first lead ever IMHO that even suggests a strat is actually made out of wood. The tone is luscious.

That's a weird description of Fender guitars. In my experience Fender's, Strat's included, are the most "woody" sounding electric guitars made. However his tone is great throughtout SBS, to my ears Nel's played some humbucker equipped guitars on SBS as well.

I wish I could read more interesting points about Nels Cline in this topic. Anyway...

You are free to contribute as many "interesting points" about Nels as you'd like. You have not done so.

You are free to contribute as many "interesting points" about Nels as you'd like. You have not done so.

I found it "interesting" the poster felt it was important to classify fans into "legitimate" fans. If he knew anything about Nels Cline he would know that his greatest fans are "Essential", not legitimate.

I don't have interesting points to put on Nels Cline. That doesn't keep me from needing to read some. I guess my mistake was to take the time to read the whole thread hoping to read something else than basically "oh, I miss Jay Bennett".

I don't have interesting points to put on Nels Cline. That doesn't keep me from needing to read some. I guess my mistake was to take the time to read the whole thread hoping to read something else than basically "oh, I miss Jay Bennett".

You can blame the original poster for that, not Jay fans. He's the one who made the thread about Nels vs. Jay.

I agree the Nels vs. Jay thing is tired and pointless. If you need to read some interesting Nels info, here are three recommendations:

1. go to AllAboutJazz.com and search the interviews. They've done a few lengthy interviews with Nels, at least one of which deals with Nels joining Wilco, and his mixed feelings about devoting so much time to Wilco and not as much time to his own projects.

2. go to Mike Watt's website (hootpage.com) and read Nels' tour diaries from two of the tours he did with Watt. ***

3. go to Nels' own website (nelscline.com) and read everything he's written there.

All of this stuff is very interesting reading if you're a Nels fan.

EDIT:

***I realized Watt's page has a lot of info and it might be tough to find Nels' diaries, so here are the direct links (these diaries are interesting for a lot of reasons, but one thing that is especially interesting is you can sense that he is falling in love with Carla Bozulich):

http://hootpage.com/hoot_nelsclamblow1.html

http://hootpage.com/hoot_nelsshinebox1.html

happy reading, and thanks for the tip on Eleni Mandell. I did not know about that one, and am not familiar with her, so I'll check it out.

happy reading, and thanks for the tip on Eleni Mandell. I did not know about that one, and am not familiar with her, so I'll check it out.

Thanks for the links. Be warned for the new Eleni Mandell album: though Nels Cline plays on it, it's actually very quiet and has few to do with his work with Wilco.

I agree the Nels vs. Jay thing is tired and pointless. If you need to read some interesting Nels info, here are three recommendations:

1. go to AllAboutJazz.com and search the interviews. They've done a few lengthy interviews with Nels, at least one of which deals with Nels joining Wilco, and his mixed feelings about devoting so much time to Wilco and not as much time to his own projects.

2. go to Mike Watt's website (hootpage.com) and read Nels' tour diaries from two of the tours he did with Watt. ***

3. go to Nels' own website (nelscline.com) and read everything he's written there.

All of this stuff is very interesting reading if you're a Nels fan.

EDIT:

***I realized Watt's page has a lot of info and it might be tough to find Nels' diaries, so here are the direct links (these diaries are interesting for a lot of reasons, but one thing that is especially interesting is you can sense that he is falling in love with Carla Bozulich):

http://hootpage.com/hoot_nelsclamblow1.html

http://hootpage.com/hoot_nelsshinebox1.html

Nice reccomendations. Nels' website is a real interesting read, though it's not been updated as much lately, presumably due to the time he's been spending touring/recording and such with Wilco lately.

The interesting thing about Nels to me that some Wilco fans might not realize is how he's managed maintain his unique style and free-jazz sensibility and at the same time fit in with what Wilco is doing. On paper, it sounds like a complete mismatch; I initially wondered how someone who is all about improvisation would find fulfillment in a much more scripted role. I'm a big jazz fan, so naturally I'm also a big fan of Nels' solo work, particularly the stuff prior to joining Wilco.

For those not familiar, go to his website and check out some of the MP3s he has available for download (there's quite a bit there). Listen to some of his more avant-garde offerings, like "Jupiter," which is from his album Interstellar Space Revisited, Nels' take on John Coltrane's free jazz classic Interestellar Space. Coltrane's record is just Trane with drummer Rasihed Ali, and here Nels assumes the role of Coltrane with drummer Greg Bendian. It's quite challenging, even for someone like myself who listens to a lot of jazz, but it clearly illustrates the huge difference between Nels' typical avant-garde jazz offerings and Wilco. It also illustrates Nels' versatility; he effectively assumes the role of a rock guitar player in Wilco and only gives us a taste here and there of his jazz background. But if you've ever read Nels' bio or an interview where he talks about his influences, Wilco makes much more sense than one would think; Nels grew up very much a fan of rock and roll, though he eventually found his true love in jazz.

Interstellar Space Revisited is a fairly extreme example of Nels' solo style, so check out some of the MP3 samples from his most recent Nels Cline Singers album, The Giant Pin. It's a more accurate summary of Nels' various influences; heavy on the jazz, though not forsaking his love for blues and rock and roll. Unfortunately his MP3 section hasn't been updated in a while, but I would very much reccomend getting your hands on his tribute to Andrew Hill, New Monastery. Like I said, I listen to a lot of jazz and keep up with modern jazz quite a bit, and I felt New Monastery was one of the best, if not the best, jazz records to come out last year. Nels does a masterful job of taking Hill's compositions and giving them a fresh perspective, one that reflects Clines own unique voice and vision while at the same time paying tribute to Hill's wonderful compositions. It may not be for everyone, particularly if you're not a jazz fan, and it may not be the most accessible jazz out there, though I think the average Wilco fan has an open mind and shouldn't have a hard time grasping the music. And while you're at it, check out the amazing work of Andrew Hill, particularly his 60s Blue Note albums, which you should be able to find quite easily. Hill is one of my top four or five favorite jazz artists, so the notion of Nels paying tribute to his music on record really got me excited when I heard about it, and after much anticipation hearing the record was every bit as exciting as I imagined. Unfortunately, Hill was scheduled to record a live record for Blue Note at Birdland later this month, but word is that it's been cancelled due to ill health; Hill has terminal lung cancer. Let's wish him the best.

Nice reccomendations. Nels' website is a real interesting read, though it's not been updated as much lately, presumably due to the time he's been spending touring/recording and such with Wilco lately.

The interesting thing about Nels to me that some Wilco fans might not realize is how he's managed maintain his unique style and free-jazz sensibility and at the same time fit in with what Wilco is doing. On paper, it sounds like a complete mismatch; I initially wondered how someone who is all about improvisation would find fulfillment in a much more scripted role. I'm a big jazz fan, so naturally I'm also a big fan of Nels' solo work, particularly the stuff prior to joining Wilco.

For those not familiar, go to his website and check out some of the MP3s he has available for download (there's quite a bit there). Listen to some of his more avant-garde offerings, like "Jupiter," which is from his album Interstellar Space Revisited, Nels' take on John Coltrane's free jazz classic Interestellar Space. Coltrane's record is just Trane with drummer Rasihed Ali, and here Nels assumes the role of Coltrane with drummer Greg Bendian. It's quite challenging, even for someone like myself who listens to a lot of jazz, but it clearly illustrates the huge difference between Nels' typical avant-garde jazz offerings and Wilco. It also illustrates Nels' versatility; he effectively assumes the role of a rock guitar player in Wilco and only gives us a taste here and there of his jazz background. But if you've ever read Nels' bio or an interview where he talks about his influences, Wilco makes much more sense than one would think; Nels grew up very much a fan of rock and roll, though he eventually found his true love in jazz.

Interstellar Space Revisited is a fairly extreme example of Nels' solo style, so check out some of the MP3 samples from his most recent Nels Cline Singers album, The Giant Pin. It's a more accurate summary of Nels' various influences; heavy on the jazz, though not forsaking his love for blues and rock and roll. Unfortunately his MP3 section hasn't been updated in a while, but I would very much reccomend getting your hands on his tribute to Andrew Hill, New Monastery. Like I said, I listen to a lot of jazz and keep up with modern jazz quite a bit, and I felt New Monastery was one of the best, if not the best, jazz records to come out last year. Nels does a masterful job of taking Hill's compositions and giving them a fresh perspective, one that reflects Clines own unique voice and vision while at the same time paying tribute to Hill's wonderful compositions. It may not be for everyone, particularly if you're not a jazz fan, and it may not be the most accessible jazz out there, though I think the average Wilco fan has an open mind and shouldn't have a hard time grasping the music. And while you're at it, check out the amazing work of Andrew Hill, particularly his 60s Blue Note albums, which you should be able to find quite easily. Hill is one of my top four or five favorite jazz artists, so the notion of Nels paying tribute to his music on record really got me excited when I heard about it, and after much anticipation hearing the record was every bit as exciting as I imagined. Unfortunately, Hill was scheduled to record a live record for Blue Note at Birdland later this month, but word is that it's been cancelled due to ill health; Hill has terminal lung cancer. Let's wish him the best.

Right on brother