AGiB standards

So, I have a hunch next tour we'll be seeing 60-70% SBS songs. What AGiB songs do you think will be dropped from the setlist? I feel like IaTtBYH, Heavy Metal Drummer, Shot in the Arm and Misunderstood are here to say, part of the "lexicon" if you will. But what AGiB songs are classics? I'm thinking ALTWYS and Hummingbird. Are we going to see as many Ghost songs on the SBS tour as there were YHF songs on the AGiB tours?

Bigger question. How is AGiB going to age as part of Wilco's catalog? It was my go-to Wilco album for a while, but maybe only because it was the newest. I feel like I already like SBS better. I have a hunch AGiB is going to be another SummerTeeth (i.e. not aging as well as the others).

as long as they play spiders.

and AGIB will age well, after time people will realize that it's not only the greatest Wilco album, but possibly the greatest anyone album. there'll be threads here like "tongue-tied was right" and "tongue-tied wasn't joking"

I think Summerteeth aged very well, personally.

I'm afraid we won't see as many YHF tracks on this tour, here's my wishlist for set list songs:

From YHF:

IATTBYH, Jesus etc, Heavy Metal Drummer, Ashes of American Flags

From AGIB:

Company in my back, hummingbird, muzzle of bees (PLEASE!), late greats, Spiders

from ST:

Shot in the Arm, Via Chicago, She's a jar (how cool would that be?!), ELT, I'm Always in love

from BT:

Misunderstood, Forget the flowers, Monday, Kingpin

from AM:

Should've been in love???

I have a hunch AGiB is going to be another SummerTeeth (i.e. not aging as well as the others).

I have a feeling you are mostly alone in that thinking, especially the Summerteeth part.

I would like to see Wilco eventually go to a setlist that includes a quiet acoustic break in the middle a-la 1975-77 era Zep tours. With each tours setlist being comprised of alternating "classic" Wilco rockers to open and close the show and what ever album is current filling in the rest of the show along with the must hear standards.

That said I won't be sad if Misunderstood takes a setlist hiatus.

"Aged" maybe isn't the best word. I feel like AGiB will age well as it didn't use a whole lot of flash-in-the-pan gimmickery. But it seems like SummerTeeth often gets written off as their "digitally recorded" album.

I'm sort of starting think Wilco's career will be defined by their even-numbered studio albums. For me it's definitely becoming the case.

I can't really imagine anything AGIB song being "dropped".

If I had to pick a handful of AGIB songs as "keepers" for future concerts, I'd say ALTWYS, Hell Is Chrome, Muzzle of Bees and Theologians.

I don't anticipate AGIB having any problem holding its own in the Wilco catalog.

I have a feeling you are mostly alone in that thinking, especially the Summerteeth part.

Well, lately we tend to get 1 or 2 Summerteeth songs in concert, and approx half of YHF. Is it's because it's a better album or because it's considered more "career-defining?"

My Wishes for Setlists:

AM: Passenger Side, Pck up the Change, Box of Letters

BT: Far Far Away, Forget the Flowers, Say You Miss Me

ST: Summerteeth, Via Chicago, Shot in the Arm, Future Age (This album was and is great!!)

YHF: Jesus Etc, Kamera, War on War (Not HMD for God's Sake)

AGIB: ALTWYS, Hummingbird, Hell is Chrome, Handshake Drugs

SBS: Not sure what I would want yet....

But I just don't think they're going to be playing a 4 hour concert (as great as that would be!!!). I'm just saying there's going to be some tough choices to make. It'll be interesting to see at what point they elect to have the "greatest hits" tour if you will, opposed to going out and playing 3/4s of their new album + encores.

Here's what I'd like the set list to be like:

Off of...

AM: Passenger Side

BT: Kingpin, Forget the Flowers

ST: Shot in the Arm, Via Chicago, ELT, Summerteeth

YHF: Jesus Etc., Ashes of American Flags, IaTtBYH

AGiB: ALTWYS, Spiders, Company In My Back, Wishful Thinking

SBS: Hate it Here, Side With The Seeds, Impossible Germany, On and On and On

Covers: Comment

I'd like to think the AGIB songs will all stick around, but will rotate in and out of the setlist since I can't put my finger on only a couple solid "go-to" songs. Of course, I feel that way about all of the albums, so who knows?

I see Handshake Drugs and Muzzle of Bees sticking around for the long haul, with the occasional ALTWYS, Spiders, and Theologians thrown in.

Well ... I have songs that are my personal favorites (I'm still holding out for the all Being There setlist!), but what I was curious about was what songs are most likely to be played. In other words, What would Wilco do?

It seems to me, from obsessively reading setlist, this last go around you were:

Guarenteed: IaTtByH, HMD, Shot in the Arm, Hummingbird, ALtWYS

Likely to Get: Company, Hell is Chrome, Airline, Theologians, Ashes of American Flags, Misunderstood, Muzzle of Bees, Spiders, Kingpin

50/50: Via Chicago, She's a Jar

Wouldn't rule out: Radio Cure, Passenger Side

Surprises: Future Age, Forget the Flowers

I'm talking about actual occurance, not quality.

i dont care if they drop any ghost songs. i just want more summerteeth and YHF. any song from those 2 albums live are 5x times better than any ghost song live

I disagree with this statement :realmad

AGIB made me fall in love with Wilco again, after the other two albums made me look elsewhere for the ROCK! :rock

Hell Is Chrome fits in pretty well with the mood of Sky Blue Sky, so I think it'll stay. Hummingbird is unique in that Jeff doesn't play guitar on it, so it has become a crowd pleaser. Handshake Drugs has a groove where everyone is really contributing to it (and John probably wants to keep playing it because it has a killer base groove). Theologians seems to have stuck around a bit. Company In My Back probably will also stick around. My guess is that ATTWYS and Spiders will rotate in and out of the setlist (but will not make as much of a regular appearance). Muzzle of Bees could suffer from being a slow to mid-tempo AGIB song, something that the mellow Sky Blue Sky songs could bump from the setlist (Either Way, Sky Blue Sky, Please Be Patient With Me, Leave Me As You Found Me & On and On and On), so my guess is that it (and maybe even Hell Is Chrome) might get neglected because they may want to provide tempo and sonic variety to their shows.

IAMTBYH will always be a standard concert song, as will Jesus, Etc. I hope both Ashes and Poor Places stick around. I would like to Pot Kettle Black to make more appearances, but I'm not complaining.

Via Chicago is definitely one song from Summerteeth that the new line-up has made their own. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. A Shot In The Arm is also one song that has translated really well with the six-piece line-up. At this point, any Summerteeth songs on the setlist is gravy - I really don't care which (the more the better).

Kingpin is probably around for good, based upon how much it has become a regular call-response with the audience.

That's all I can think of. Doesn't really matter though, if I get the chance to see them, I'm going to go.

Guest Rufer

Jesus Etc. is the one Wilco song that (to me) is unquestionably better on record than live. When the Pedal Steel comes in for the first "voices whine" on record it's one of the most moving musical passages I've heard. It actually bores me live though. It could stand to take a hike.

I assume ALTWYS is a mainstay considering it's Jeff's big solo guitar spot, it's freakin' cool too so I hope it stays. I'd like to see more AM stuff in the setlist I think it fits in nicely with SBS. The guitar solo from Pick Up The Change is nice and smooth jazzish.