Is there a better band in music today?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy takes some chances--the extended voice overs on Fevers and Mirrors and I remember when he played Empty Bottle with the all-female, all dressed in white backing band, like a negative Robert Palmer video--they don't always work out that well.

Wide It's Morning, fuck yeah. Lifted...Soil. Both great albums. He has a few side projects, and some contributions on other albums worth checking out, eg. Arab Strap 'Monday at the Hug and Pint'.

Wide It's Morning, fuck yeah. Lifted...Soil. Both great albums.

Those two albums are what I was specifically referring to, as well as Digital Ash. Wide Awake is one of the better albums of the decade, and Lifted is just phenomenal too.

I think the 2nd-4th MMJ albums are the building blocks of a great run, plus they are undeniably the best live band to me. Another extremely consistent, extremely prolific, albeit extremely reclusive band is Lungfish. Eleven albums in like fourteen years and they're all challenging, dense as hell, works of art, not too mention a totally captivating live act that rarely ever tours and never does interviews. It all adds up to a very mythic, timeless aesthetic and style, very solid band with an extremely obsessed fanbase.

you could add a lot of bands in there. my morning jacket are incredibly boring to me, spoon are rad live.

other bands up there with wilco: yo la tengo, pavement, modest mouse (only first 2 albums) guided by voices, deerhoof, and animal collective fo sho

you could add a lot of bands in there. my morning jacket are incredibly boring to me, spoon are rad live.

other bands up there with wilco: yo la tengo, pavement, modest mouse (only first 2 albums) guided by voices, deerhoof, and animal collective fo sho

Until Pavement reunites in 2009, they can't be on the list. They are the only band that I feel equals Wilco for me. As for modest mouse, did you not like The Moon and Antartica? Just wonderin...

Honestly, to me Tool and Rammstein fall into these categories. They both are awesome! :rock

Finally, someone put Tool out there. I also agree with Pearl Jam. While not very popular, Pearl Jam has been creating great music for over a decade.

As for Arcade Fire, I heard the first album and it just didn't do anything for me. There were a few good songs on there but maybe I also need to give it another listen. After listening to it, I just got the impression that they were somehow given cult status for no reason.

My current top seeds are Wilco, Spoon, The Flaming Lips, Super Furry Animals, Built To Spill, Silver Jews, and whatever Malkmus or Danger Mouse are involved with. TV on the Radio is sneaking in there, and The Gourds are the band that deserves much more attention than they receive.

As far as all around studio craftsmanship, live performance, and consistently engaging songwriting- yeah, Wilco is pretty tough to surpass.

ETA: Beck, too!

I think Beck and Radiohead are on the same level as Wilco and Spoon is like... a third of a notch below. I'm not sure why I think that, because Spoon is possibly the only band I listen to as much as Wilco, but they don't really seem to ever reach that next level completely.

unfort. GBV is no more either

Well for awhile it was the trifecta of Wilco, Elliott Smith and Grandaddy for me, though now sadly two of those artists in that trifecta are no longer making music. I consider Radiohead, Yo La Tengo, The White Stripes The Flaming Lips, Jon Brion and Califone to be in the same ballpark as Wilco, but they still are the leaders of the pack in my mind. At the moment I'm in a pretty heavy Smog/Bill Callahan and Eels period, so I have a feeling those bands will probably end up, up there soon enough. If Neutral Milk Hotel ever does anything active again I'd have them up there.

--Mike

I don't think Beck works to his potential, he's super incredibly talented, but then he half-ass-es his albums to make shitty videos with his friends.

lol

I actually enjoyed watching The Information's DVD quite a bit. What can I say? It makes me laugh.

Beck is a great musician but a step 3 or 4 steps below Wilco if you take everything into account.

Radiohead is a great band but they are not nearly as freindly and accessible as Wilco

Jack White is a Lennon type god, but I go to see him, not his "sister" or Nashville buddies

The Arcade Fire has put out 1 good album and 1 good EP (excuse me for not getting through the new album yet) so for longevity purposes, can not touch Wilco.

Those would be 2-5 on my list, but much like the debate about the greatest basketball player ever, there is no question as to #1.