Is there a better band in music today?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never got into Radiohead...I kinda think Thom Yorke takes himself too seriously. I mean, eventually, the guy is going to have to smile! He has to deal with that!

Wilco is indeed the best band around, dare I say ever.

he's actually not like that...if you see them in concert, Yorke is animated and a pretty funny guy. not at all depressing or morose. just the songs are serious.

The Flaming Lips, M83 and the Drive By Truckers are the best bands alive right now.

Radiohead hasn't made a good record since 2000. Same for Wilco.

Look folks. The truth is todays bands absolutely SUCK compared to the 60's and 70's greats. Those giants would turn out masterpieces every two years, sometimes every year. Today we get these ok records every 3-4 years. Thom Yorke and his Pro Tools rig painstakingly craft songs for years on end because they can't play properly. Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd could shit out an album and have it be musically superior, and do it on a regular basis. There's a real lack of ROCK missing from the new "canon". It's like everyone took wimpy pills or something. Even the harder rock bands lack dynamic range with power. Shit, the 70's folk bands could lay it down heavier.

And in terms of live performances, Wilco and Radiohead get their tails kicked by bands like the Flaming Lips and the Drive By Truckers.

The Lips and Truckers are INCREDIBLE live shows, and they also make fantastic studio records. They are a real throwback to the true greats of the 60's and 70's.

The Flaming Lips, M83 and the Drive By Truckers are the best bands alive right now.

Look folks. The truth is todays bands absolutely SUCK compared to the 60's and 70's greats. Those giants would turn out masterpieces every two years, sometimes every year. Today we get these ok records every 3-4 years. Thom Yorke and his Pro Tools rig painstakingly craft songs for years on end because they can't play properly. Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd could shit out an album and have it be musically superior, and do it on a regular basis. There's a real lack of ROCK missing from the new "canon". It's like everyone took wimpy pills or something. Even the harder rock bands lack dynamic range with power. Shit, the 70's folk bands could lay it down heavier.

And in terms of live performances, Wilco and Radiohead get their tails kicked by bands like the Flaming Lips and the Drive By Truckers.

The Lips and Truckers are INCREDIBLE live shows, and they also make fantastic studio records. They are a real throwback to the true greats of the 60's and 70's.

led zepplin...gross...ew...boring boring boring

and i have respect for the Flips. or, used to. Soft Bulletin and Transmissions are excellent albums, but now Wayne Coyne just uses live shows to preach to the audience and play with his props. recently, flips shows have been awful.

For my money, the Arcade Fire definitely are making some of the best music today. Love wilco and YHF, but Funeral is one of the best albums of the decade. It was just one of those albums, you know? Sure they only have two records under their belt but they're solid records.

It's all a matter of taste, though. Pink Floyd had an incredible 5-album run over an 8-year span (Meddle to The Wall). You can argue, and I would, that Wilco has had a similarly incredible 5-album run over a 9-year span (A.M. to Ghost). So, in terms of prolificness, they're about the same. But, again, it goes back to what one person may like more than the other. I've never been much of a Zeppelin fan, so there catalog doesn't get the same kind of reverence from me.

The same can be said for Radiohead, depending on how you rate Amnesiac.

I'll agree with you on the Truckers and their live show. But their last two albums have been slight letdowns for me. And the Lips' last album was hardly listenable.

It's all a matter of taste, though. Pink Floyd had an incredible 5-album run over an 8-year span (Meddle to The Wall). You can argue, and I would, that Wilco has had a similarly incredible 5-album run over a 9-year span (A.M. to Ghost). So, in terms of prolificness, they're about the same. But, again, it goes back to what one person may like more than the other. I've never been much of a Zeppelin fan, so there catalog doesn't get the same kind of reverence from me.

Wilco has two really good records - YHF and Summerteerth, with YHF coming close to the masters. There's nothing really new about what Wilco has done - just a solid pop band with a good ear for melody. They haven't impacted music, and they haven't really influenced anyone. They are just a solid band that made two really good records in ST and YHF.

Putting AM, Being There and AGIB into any kind of a run would be a stretch. Both AM and Being There sound incredibly dated now, and AGIB is really uneven.

Led Zeppelin is one of the most overrated bands in rock music, as is Pink Floyd. And I love Floyd. But c'mon...

Seriously, Pro-tools is not a new evil. Simon and Garfunkel would punch in every word on their records. It took Boston 7 years to record their first record...

and as for Wilco not having influence...I don't even know where to begin...

Wilco has two really good records - YHF and Summerteerth, with YHF coming close to the masters. There's nothing really new about what Wilco has done - just a solid pop band with a good ear for melody. They haven't impacted music, and they haven't really influenced anyone. They are just a solid band that made two really good records in ST and YHF.

Putting AM, Being There and AGIB into any kind of a run would be a stretch. Both AM and Being There sound incredibly dated now, and AGIB is really uneven.

just the fact that you called the bands you like "the masters" gave me a hearty chuckle.

Sebadoh back together they are a great band. (with Eric Gaffney back)

WILCO is the best soo dynamic ..

forgive my ignorance WILCO is the newest band I listen too. all bands I would like to compare are broken up. or done playing. I do not listen to other bands like I do WILCO .. except for DEERHOOF thats it .. not to say all the bands mentioned on this thread are not worthy.

led zepplin is incredibly overrated, and incredibly boring.

:unsure :hmm

I must vociferously and respectfully disagree.

I love the Flaming Lips live show, as it's the most fun I've ever had at a concert, but they aren't a great band live. They just have fun. Wayne doesn't even play the guitar tracks anymore, and his voice has lost a lot.

I'll put the White Stripes up on my list, since I seem to have forgotten to earlier.

If you really wanna go back to some sweet live acts (though need I remind you this thread is about current artists, not Led Zeppelin whose best asset, John Bonham, died long ago along with the band's talent for songwriting and live performance) might I suggest some Classical or Romantic Era Pianists, namely Brahms, Mozart, or perhaps Chopin? Those guys knew how to seriously rock the powedered wigs off of everyone's heads.

It's all relative, you know. :rock