Is there a better band in music today?

Are there other bands besides Wilco?

:shifty

Man, I KNEW I could count on you for this one. :thumbup

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you think YHF has no influence or impact you are extremely, extremely misinformed

What did it impact and influence? It made a nice article because of the record company goofs, but surely you aren't suggesting it had the impact of someting like Sgt. Peppers, Dark Side or Nevermind?

Led Zeppelin is one of the most overrated bands in rock music, as is Pink Floyd. And I love Floyd. But c'mon...

Seriously, Pro-tools is not a new evil. Simon and Garfunkel would punch in every word on their records. It took Boston 7 years to record their first record...

and as for Wilco not having influence...I don't even know where to begin...

Surely you aren't suggesting that Wilco is a better band than Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones? When you talk about "great bands" those three are at the top along with the Beatles and Dylan.

Wilco is a nice pop act that made two really neat records in ST and YHF. But in terms of their impact on rock, they are nothing. The chief co-songwriter who was on their two best albums isn't even with the band anymore. They didn't innovate anything, they aren't that great live. If Wilco never made a record nothing would have changed about rock/pop. They are a solid pop band in an era of not so solid pop/rock bands.

To suggest otherwise is extreme fanboyism, because facts and logic simply don't exist on that side of the argument.

Surely you aren't suggesting that Wilco is a better band than Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones? When you talk about "great bands" those three are at the top along with the Beatles and Dylan.

Wilco is a nice pop act that made two really neat records in ST and YHF. But in terms of their impact on rock, they are nothing. The chief co-songwriter who was on their two best albums isn't even with the band anymore. They didn't innovate anything, they aren't that great live. If Wilco never made a record nothing would have changed about rock/pop. They are a solid pop band in an era of not so solid pop/rock bands.

To suggest otherwise is extreme fanboyism, because facts and logic simply don't exist on that side of the argument.

Wow, you're so sure about your opinion! I'm impressed. I wish I could be like that.

Out of curiosity, have you seen Wilco live?

This is kind of harsh...I think the topic is - is there a better band today, as in contemporary bands. Just like the goofy thread on the Band, why compare Wilco to the dinosaur acts? Why not just enjoy Wilco for what it is - the best contemporary band there is.

LouieB

A band who had an impact on rock isn't necessarily great. Everyone can consider Wilco better than Pink Floyd with valuable arguments. The fact Pink Floyd had an impact on rock doesn't imply they're better than Wilco. The fact they innovated doesn't mean they're better, either.

And let me assure you that Summerteeth did change something in my listener's life. You certainly too much learned your rock lessons, but I wonder if you can actually identify a great rock band of the recent years before the history is written in books.

Jay Bennett isn't a great songwriter, his solo albums are pretty average. On the other hand, I can hear most of Summerteeth's magic in Tweedy's solo acts.

I'm not going to get into the mess of where Wilco stands in terms of today's music or what their impact/relevance will or will not be down the road simply because I dig a lot of their music and it works for me. But...

Comments like "Led Zeppelin were overrated" shows the "debating" of these all-important life/death issues is futile anyway.

Led Zeppelin were rated. They've got shitloads of great, classic tunes and have influenced countless bands and musicians. Cripes, they pretty much invented a genre of music. If you find them boring, that's cool, but writing them off as underrated is simply blind ignorance.

Now, if The Doors were cited as overrated we'd have something to work with....

I'm not going to get into the mess of where Wilco stands in terms of today's music or what their impact/relevance will or will not be down the road simply because I dig a lot of their music and it works for me. But...

Comments like "Led Zeppelin were overrated" shows the "debating" of these all-important life/death issues is futile anyway.

Led Zeppelin were rated. They've got shitloads of great, classic tunes and have influenced countless bands and musicians. Cripes, they pretty much invented a genre of music. If you find them boring, that's cool, but writing them off as underrated is simply blind ignorance.

Now, if The Doors were cited as overrated we'd have something to work with....

I'm of those who find Led Zeppelin boring, as well as the Doors, if you save some tracks from both. But Jim Morrison had an interesting charisma, whereas Robert Plant does nothing to me. I don't feel Plant ever had something to say.

I wonder which sort of influence Led Zeppelin had? Where are their disciples? The Red Hots? The Smashing Pumpkins? Just wondering.

There's a pretty great hard rock band I've heard lately: Comets on Fire, the Avatar album. They may revendicate LZ. But that band seems to have many influences from 70's bands.

Is there really any question about this??

LouieB

There shouldn't be. That doesn't mean anyone has to like the genre in question. But they were the BEST of that style.

LZ > Whitesnake, Great White, numerous "hair" bands of teh '80's

Allmans > Skynyrd, Tucker, Outlaws, numerous "southern" bands..

I'll go out on a limb here :yawn & say the only thing about ranking stuff that surely we can all agree on is that Hendrix was the best gtr. player in RXR ?

The Flaming Lips, M83 and the Drive By Truckers are the best bands alive right now.

M83, seriously? I mean I know it's your opinion and trust me I like M83 as much as the next guy (I spent 2-3 years in band who basically went by the blueprint of M83's sound), but I just don't see it...oh well.

The Lips and Truckers are INCREDIBLE live shows, and they also make fantastic studio records. They are a real throwback to the true greats of the 60's and 70's.

If you stripped all the gimmicky goofy bs that goes along with a Flaming Lips show (and yes I know how fun that stuff is to watch), would they still be on top of your list of best live acts? Just a question...

*both these comments are made in a friendly tone for those who can't interpret.

If you stripped all the gimmicky goofy bs that goes along with a Flaming Lips show (and yes I know how fun that stuff is to watch), would they still be on top of your list of best live acts? Just a question...

Good point. In a way the Lips are kind of like a KISS or Alice Cooper. They can play and they write decent music but they aren't really a musical powerhouse. Without the stage show it wouldn't come across as well. The DBT's on the other hand are capable, and do deliver a powerful show . I have a feeling they could be a real force if they could make it to a bigger stage.

My most enjoyable live bands out there now are Wilco, DBT and the Black Crowes.

Jay Bennett isn't a great songwriter, his solo albums are pretty average. On the other hand, I can hear most of Summerteeth's magic in Tweedy's solo acts.
But, let's be honest....I think this is where the most recent "shift" in Wilco came from. Not to beat a dead horse (which I will be) but, IMO, Wilco was a bit more dynamic with Jay. I don't think he was needed as a co-songwriter, but what he brought to the table (other than his attitude) was a wonderful asset to Wilco.

Once again, just my opinion and my 2 cents.

Okkervil River!

Black Sheep Boy might be the best album in the last 7 years!

i agree that it's a great album...they are great live too.

I am so waiting for a used copy of Black Sheep Boy to cross my path. Sadly the time I saw them live they couldn't hold a candle to Wilco. (Hell they could barely hold a candle to Califone or Clem Snide, both of whom were on the same bill.)

For those of us of a certain age, there will never be anyone like Jimi Hendrix. As I have said before, now there are many guitarists who can play like Jimi, but he was the original.

Personally I am still mystified by anyone still grieving the loss of Jay Bennett. I still get nostalgic for him when I hear is riffs, but other than that Wilco has moved on.

LouieB