Is there a better band in music today?

For those of us of a certain age, there will never be anyone like Jimi Hendrix. As I have said before, now there are many guitarists who can play like Jimi, but he was the original.

Believe it or not, I discovered some of Jimi's latest recordings only recently, and found it was the best stuff he ever did. I'm speaking of the First Rays of the New Rising Sun. I can't tell if he's been the best guitarist ever, but the greatest loss, certainly.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, I discovered some of Jimi's latest recordings only recently, and found it was the best stuff he ever did. I'm speaking of the First Rays of the New Rising Sun. I can't tell if he's been the best guitarist ever, but the greatest loss, certainly.

That later stuff is better - I found that out many years ago.

A band who had an impact on rock isn't necessarily great. Everyone can consider Wilco better than Pink Floyd with valuable arguments. The fact Pink Floyd had an impact on rock doesn't imply they're better than Wilco. The fact they innovated doesn't mean they're better, either.

Sure it does. To determine "better", you have to factor in several aspects. Wilco hasn't pioneered anything. That's minus 1. Wilco did not have an impact on music in general. That's minus 2. Bands like Zepp and Floyd kicked the living crap out of Wilco live and innovated live rock shows as we know it (especially Floyd). That's minus 3. Zep and Floyd had much stronger runs than Wilco's two album run. The albums Floyd and Zep crafted are immortal classics of music, the closest thing rock has to beethovens 5th. The originality and quality of the songs is STUNNING, That's minus 4. Wilco lacks top level miusicans compared to Zep and Floyd. Floyd had Gilmour, one of the greatest and most unique rock guitarists of all time and a pretty original bass player in Waters. Zep had a god like lead singer, a monster drummer, a great bass player/arranger and one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Wilco has.....

Jeff Tweedy playing guitar and a revolving cast of session musicians. lol. Zep and Floyd had BANDS. Minus 5.

Come on, this is a joke. Look, I'm a huge, gigantic fan of bands like Son Volt, Wilco,the Jayhawks, and many more contemporary acts. And in fact I listen to them more than I do Zeppelin. But for me to say that they are superior to rock greats like Zeppelin and the Stones is the ultimate display of weak kneed and non-objective fanboyism. Those bands, wether you like their style or not, had the musicians, the songs, the impact and the innovation to completely change areas of rock music.

M83, seriously? I mean I know it's your opinion and trust me I like M83 as much as the next guy (I spent 2-3 years in band who basically went by the blueprint of M83's sound), but I just don't see it...oh well.

If you stripped all the gimmicky goofy bs that goes along with a Flaming Lips show (and yes I know how fun that stuff is to watch), would they still be on top of your list of best live acts? Just a question...

*both these comments are made in a friendly tone for those who can't interpret.

Yes. Have you heard the Lips live material from the 90's with Drozd on drums and Jones on guitar? They could choose to go back to that style, but they are doing something different now and probably don't want to add the cost of another guitar player. Drozd is one of the best drummers in rock.

I'm of those who find Led Zeppelin boring, as well as the Doors, if you save some tracks from both. But Jim Morrison had an interesting charisma, whereas Robert Plant does nothing to me. I don't feel Plant ever had something to say.

I wonder which sort of influence Led Zeppelin had? Where are their disciples? The Red Hots? The Smashing Pumpkins? Just wondering.

There's a pretty great hard rock band I've heard lately: Comets on Fire, the Avatar album. They may revendicate LZ. But that band seems to have many influences from 70's bands.

You'r not suggesting that SBS is a more exciting album than Led Zeppelin's work, are you?

As for the "who has Zep influenced" comments, how about pretty much everyone that made albums after them? Sure, you'll get some pussy band like Radiohead saying that "we only like the obscure artists from the 70's", but they are fucking liars and cowards, trying to look hip. Zeppelin owns them. Every single modern act owes something to the RIFF MONSTER that is known as Jimmy PAge. Every single fucking one.

John +1

Paul + 1

George + 1

Ringo -1/2

The White Album + 1/2

Revolver + 1

Abbey Road + 1

Roof Top Concert + 1

Yoko -1

Pauls Bass playing on Don't Let Me Down? + 2

Johns fur coat on the Roof Top Concert + 1

George turning his amp back on after it's shut off by "the man" (Roof Top Concert) + 5

Ad infinitum

Sure it does. To determine "better", you have to factor in several aspects. Wilco hasn't pioneered anything. That's minus 1. Wilco did not have an impact on music in general. That's minus 2. Bands like Zepp and Floyd kicked the living crap out of Wilco live and innovated live rock shows as we know it (especially Floyd). That's minus 3. Zep and Floyd had much stronger runs than Wilco's two album run. The albums Floyd and Zep crafted are immortal classics of music, the closest thing rock has to beethovens 5th. The originality and quality of the songs is STUNNING, That's minus 4. Wilco lacks top level miusicans compared to Zep and Floyd. Floyd had Gilmour, one of the greatest and most unique rock guitarists of all time and a pretty original bass player in Waters. Zep had a god like lead singer, a monster drummer, a great bass player/arranger and one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Wilco has.....

Jeff Tweedy playing guitar and a revolving cast of session musicians. lol. Zep and Floyd had BANDS. Minus 5.

Come on, this is a joke. Look, I'm a huge, gigantic fan of bands like Son Volt, Wilco,the Jayhawks, and many more contemporary acts. And in fact I listen to them more than I do Zeppelin. But for me to say that they are superior to rock greats like Zeppelin and the Stones is the ultimate display of weak kneed and non-objective fanboyism. Those bands, wether you like their style or not, had the musicians, the songs, the impact and the innovation to completely change areas of rock music.

But you don't love things with facts, you love things with feelings. You can't consider something better as long as you don't feel it. There MUST be a connection between what you feel and what you consider the best. There's nothing objective, and all the facts you enumerate above don't argue for greatness. Facts are just used as arguments for people who don't know how to give insights about what they feel. So yeah, every people preferring Wilco than Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin can say Wilco is better. I say it myself for exactly the same reasons, and I'm not ignorant for that matter: I'm just honest. I can assert to you that the music of Wilco is way better, and won't bring more convincing arguments than you did yourself asserting the opposite. For this, we should actually put real insights about what we feel.

that was Yoko's fur coat - as well as Maureen's red plastic coat that Ringo had on -

Dude you are like a walking-talking-Pepsi drinking-crick kicking music encyclopedia.

:worship

Every single modern act owes something to the RIFF MONSTER that is known as Jimmy PAge. Every single fucking one.

Jimmy Page is one of the most boring guitar players I've ever heard. I've heard many blues guitarists who actually play a thousand times more soulfully.

What Led Zeppelin did to rock music? The WORST. They made a superpowersounding rock'n'roll circus of what was meaning to sound raw and true. For a start, give me the early Yardbirds anyday.

And give me early blues anyday.

Give me feelings, actually.

You guys can argue back and forth all day, but I've already mathematically proven that Foghat is the best band to have ever walked the Earth. I'd show you the formula and all my supporting data, but it hasn't been published yet.

...i'm going to veer to a wildly different genre and say that MF Doom is up there with Wilco for me.

his releases are quality... as a solo artist Operation: Doomsday. MM Food, and Viktor Vaughn are top shelf hip hop albums. his collaboration with the amazing producer Madlib, Madvillain, put out pretty much the best hiphop album ever, a record that I would describe as his sort of "yankee hotel foxtrot" to some extent.

Wilco + MF Doom is a good combo here in the modern music scene.

....i do hold Spoon in high esteem as well.

No way Ringo is 1/2.

I know, it's the 'hip' or 'cool' thing to slag on Ringo and I fell into that whole scene. He's actually at least a '1'. I think my list was pretty acurate otherwise.

I didn't go through this whole thing, but did anyone mention The White Stripes--especially for a Zep descendant. Jack White can be a douche, but you can't deny his chops; lyrically and on the guitar. And The Arcade Fire kick ass. Wolf Parade's first album was pretty tasty, but it's too early to tell if they'll do anything else. Maybe we should ask Pitchfork :poke

PS Ringo's the Shit! :thumbup