• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potatoes are not good. They have a high glycemic index.

We're about to go to Zingerman's for sandwiches.

I'll be sure to let you know how that turns out.

It didn't turn out as well as expected. Zingerman's always uses all the best ingredients, but sometimes they don't use them in the best proportions. My sandwich could have used one tenth the amount of spicy mustard that was on it. Next time I order sammiches from Zingerman's, I'm asking for the mustard on the side, because the way they trowl it on is not cool. :hmm

I have been on a roll and variation on a theme: stir fry veggies (asparagus, broccoli, carrots, crystallized ginger (omg), onions, baby portabellas) tofu (local made) and bhan pho. In a brown sugar/tamari/lime juice sauce. Honey hush.

I have been on a roll and variation on a theme: stir fry veggies (asparagus, broccoli, carrots, crystallized ginger (omg), onions, baby portabellas) tofu (local made) and bhan pho. In a brown sugar/tamari/lime juice sauce. Honey hush.

This sounds wonderfully springtimey! Is the bhan pho difficult? The recipe I looked up looked like a real pain in the butt. :pirate

This sounds wonderfully springtimey! Is the bhan pho difficult? The recipe I looked up looked like a real pain in the butt. :pirate

Bhan pho are rice noodles, about the width of linguine but not as thick. I was taught to soak them in water for 3 or 4 hours then toss them in the stirfry on top of the veggies and stir in. They shrink alot. On top of all that I throw whatever sauce I have made. Easy peasy.

Years ago I took a Thai cooking class. We learned a couple of basic recipes. Pad Thai and non fried spring rolls w/ peanut sauce. Talking about Thai cooking earlier today made me want to take another class. We have the most wonderful little cooking school here. Classes are given by our reknown restaurant chefs and cookbook writers.

Bhan pho are rice noodles, about the width of linguine but not as thick. I was taught to soak them in water for 3 or 4 hours then toss them in the stirfry on top of the veggies and stir in. They shrink alot. On top of all that I throw whatever sauce I have made. Easy peasy.

Years ago I took a Thai cooking class. We learned a couple of basic recipes. Pad Thai and non fried spring rolls w/ peanut sauce. Talking about Thai cooking earlier today made me want to take another class. We have the most wonderful little cooking school here. Classes are given by our reknown restaurant chefs and cookbook writers.

Oh, ok. The recipe I saw must've been one based on the noodles, then.

You're making me hungry. :eat Very hungry. I'll have to find some bhan pho and steal your recipe. I love anything with lime!

Here's what I made the other day, a raspberry trifle with almonds and toasted coconut on top. It's fabulous.

RaspberryTrifle.jpg

A couple of weeks ago my sister and I made this AMAZING!!!!!! indian chick pea soup. I should really dig out the recipe to share it with you all....I'll try to tomorrow! It'll be worth the wait!!

Please do! This sounds great. :thumbup

Last night I got 3 great ribeye steaks from Giant for about $15, and we had them along with baked redskin potato wedges. The wife and kids had vegetables too...I did not. I also enjoyed a Legend Golden Ale, but I think any further information on that should go in the drinking thread.

Recipe #1: Curried Chick Pea Soup

Ingredients:

8 cups vegetable stock

1 tsp cumin seed

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tsp coriander seed

1 yellow onion, finely diced

1 tsp paprika

2 tsp salt

1 tsp garam masala

2 bay leaves

1/4 tsp cracked pepper

8 garlic cloves

1/8 tsp tumeric

3 tbsp minced ginger

3 cups canned chick peas, drained

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded*

1/4 cup prepared mango chutney

1 red pepper

1/2 can coconut milk

6 ripe tomatoes**

1/2 bunvh of cilantro, minced

1. Heat oil in a soup pot and add onion, 1 tsp salt and bay leaves. Saute until the onions are soft and golden. Meanwhile, place the garlic, ginger, jalapenos, pepper and tomatoes in a food processor and pulse until the vegetables form a rough puree. Set aside.

2. Next, grind the cumin and coriander seeds. Add these and all remaining spices to the sauteed onions and continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable puree and another teaspoon of salt and simmer until small blobs of oil pool on the surface. Add the chick peas and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook several minutes, then add the chutney and coconut milk. Using a potato masher, gently mash the chickpeas against the bottom of the pot to break them up slightly and thicken the soup. Simmer and season to taste with salt and cracked pepper. Add chopped cilantro just before serving.

* I didn't have jalapenos, so I put one tsp of chipolte chili sauce in. To make this, just get a can of chipolte chiles in adobo sause and puree the can.

** I only used 3 tomatoes cause its all I had

Not kidding you, this has got to be the best soup ever!!! Clears the nasal passage, that's for sure!

Recipe #2: Vegan French Toast

Ingredients:

1 banana

1 cup plain rice or soy milk

1 cup coconut milk

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

1 loaf multigrain bread

1. Place all ingredients (except bread) into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large shallow bowl and set aside.

2. Slice bread into slices. Heat a griddle or pan and brush with hot oil. Submerge bread slices in the batter, lift out with a pair of tongs and place on the hot pan. Cook until golden brown, flip and cook on the reverse side. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.

This is the best French Toast I've ever tasted. My mom usually makes it on Christmas morning and other special occasions. Treat yourself, and just make these!!!!