• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got to thinking, and if its a problem that I put these recipes up, please let me know...

They both sound very good. Thank you for sharing.

That French Toast sounds yummmmy! (I don't like eggs much and have a child allergic, so this is something I definitely would like to try). :)

M. Chris, I would love to learn more about Thai cooking. :yes We've had to do without it for the most part because of the peanut factor (kiddo's other food allergy), but I keep thinking if I could learn some recipes, I may be able to modify them so we could at least have it at home. :eat

(LOL, one of the few things I actually got accomplished on Friday :hmm before we headed home was to get some crystallized ginger from the Merk...love to eat it out of the bag...in stir fry sounds delish!)

That French Toast sounds yummmmy! (I don't like eggs much and have a child allergic, so this is something I definitely would like to try). :)

M. Chris, I would love to learn more about Thai cooking. :yes We've had to do without it for the most part because of the peanut factor (kiddo's other food allergy), but I keep thinking if I could learn some recipes, I may be able to modify them so we could at least have it at home. :eat

(LOL, one of the few things I actually got accomplished on Friday :hmm before we headed home was to get some crystallized ginger from the Merk...love to eat it out of the bag...in stir fry sounds delish!)

Awww. I missed meeting you all very much. Ginger is good for the tummy.

I don't know if you ever make it up to the city, but I took a class at the Culinary Center in old Overland Park, and it was sooo much fun. Check it out. I'm thinking about doing another one soon.

Awww. I missed meeting you all very much. Ginger is good for the tummy.

I don't know if you ever make it up to the city, but I took a class at the Culinary Center in old Overland Park, and it was sooo much fun. Check it out. I'm thinking about doing another one soon.

We missed meeting you very much as well. :ohwell (atomicblooz says so too for the record)

Thank you so much for that link. I see several classes I am very interested in...l see a chocolate making one on a Saturday all ready that I am very interested in. Cool. :)

Recipe #1: Curried Chick Pea Soup

Ingredients:

8 cups vegetable stock

1 tsp cumin seed

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tsp coriander seed

1 yellow onion, finely diced

1 tsp paprika

2 tsp salt

1 tsp garam masala

2 bay leaves

1/4 tsp cracked pepper

8 garlic cloves

1/8 tsp tumeric

3 tbsp minced ginger

3 cups canned chick peas, drained

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded*

1/4 cup prepared mango chutney

1 red pepper

1/2 can coconut milk

6 ripe tomatoes**

1/2 bunvh of cilantro, minced

1. Heat oil in a soup pot and add onion, 1 tsp salt and bay leaves. Saute until the onions are soft and golden. Meanwhile, place the garlic, ginger, jalapenos, pepper and tomatoes in a food processor and pulse until the vegetables form a rough puree. Set aside.

2. Next, grind the cumin and coriander seeds. Add these and all remaining spices to the sauteed onions and continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable puree and another teaspoon of salt and simmer until small blobs of oil pool on the surface. Add the chick peas and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook several minutes, then add the chutney and coconut milk. Using a potato masher, gently mash the chickpeas against the bottom of the pot to break them up slightly and thicken the soup. Simmer and season to taste with salt and cracked pepper. Add chopped cilantro just before serving.

* I didn't have jalapenos, so I put one tsp of chipolte chili sauce in. To make this, just get a can of chipolte chiles in adobo sause and puree the can.

** I only used 3 tomatoes cause its all I had

Not kidding you, this has got to be the best soup ever!!! Clears the nasal passage, that's for sure!

That looks delicious.

Oh believe you me, it is! You should all try and get this cookbook called "Rebar: modern food cookbook" by Audrey Alsterberg and Wanda Urbanowicz. These women have a restaurant in Victoria BC, and my mom picked up this cookbook in Vancouver. The only downside to the book is that there are no pictures, however, everything that I've tried from it has been fantastic! My parents are happy that I'm finally getting into cooking...and it turns out, so am I!

• 3 weeks later...
Recipe #1: Curried Chick Pea Soup

Ingredients:

8 cups vegetable stock

1 tsp cumin seed

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tsp coriander seed

1 yellow onion, finely diced

1 tsp paprika

2 tsp salt

1 tsp garam masala

2 bay leaves

1/4 tsp cracked pepper

8 garlic cloves

1/8 tsp tumeric

3 tbsp minced ginger

3 cups canned chick peas, drained

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded*

1/4 cup prepared mango chutney

1 red pepper

1/2 can coconut milk

6 ripe tomatoes**

1/2 bunvh of cilantro, minced

1. Heat oil in a soup pot and add onion, 1 tsp salt and bay leaves. Saute until the onions are soft and golden. Meanwhile, place the garlic, ginger, jalapenos, pepper and tomatoes in a food processor and pulse until the vegetables form a rough puree. Set aside.

2. Next, grind the cumin and coriander seeds. Add these and all remaining spices to the sauteed onions and continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable puree and another teaspoon of salt and simmer until small blobs of oil pool on the surface. Add the chick peas and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook several minutes, then add the chutney and coconut milk. Using a potato masher, gently mash the chickpeas against the bottom of the pot to break them up slightly and thicken the soup. Simmer and season to taste with salt and cracked pepper. Add chopped cilantro just before serving.

* I didn't have jalapenos, so I put one tsp of chipolte chili sauce in. To make this, just get a can of chipolte chiles in adobo sause and puree the can.

** I only used 3 tomatoes cause its all I had

Not kidding you, this has got to be the best soup ever!!! Clears the nasal passage, that's for sure!

I am fixing to make this tonight. Odds are that I will forget to add the cilantro at the end. Odds are, also, that I don't have a food processor and will have to make do with a blender that may or may not work. Odd are, also, that I'm not sure how to grind the cumin and coriander.

Ok, so that soup is ridiculously tasty. Also, my fingers are aflame because the various spices and peppers seeped into my tiny papercuts during preparation and need to be sandblasted out.

I'm going to make this soup too. And based on Graham's experience, I'm going to make it wearing gloves. :yes

Did you remember the cilantro, Graham?

Yes, yes I did.

Also, I seeded the jalapenos by hand. I think you're supposed to do that with a spoon. That's probably the problem.

Oh, OW! Do not rub your eyes or nose! B) My neighbor once chemically burned both her hands by seeding and dicing up a mess of jalapenos that she wanted to put in the freezer.....she started to be in so much pain that her husband had to take her to the hospital, and she came home with both hands wrapped in full bandages as though she had plunged them into boiling water. It was about a week before they were better!

Use gloves, they say. :pirate