Sign in to follow this  
Kalle

Ratio troubles on OiNK

Ok well I got an invite to OiNK a little while ago from a fellow ViaChicago member and I thought it was great. But now I've downloaded over 5GB and I'm on ratio watch. So I need some help from people who are far more knowledgeable on Torrents and OiNK to help me have a better ratio so I can still use OiNK. The thing is once my torrents are downloaded I do leave them open but it seems as though after a few days of leaving them there there's an "error" and I just close them. Could someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong/have to do. Thanks alot.

Ok well I got an invite to OiNK a little while ago from a fellow ViaChicago member and I thought it was great. But now I've downloaded over 5GB and I'm on ratio watch. So I need some help from people who are far more knowledgeable on Torrents and OiNK to help me have a better ratio so I can still use OiNK. The thing is once my torrents are downloaded I do leave them open but it seems as though after a few days of leaving them there there's an "error" and I just close them. Could someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong/have to do. Thanks alot.

have you tried opening them back up?

when you look at the user list--next to your screen-name, does it show you as "clever" (i.e. have you worked out all firewall, routing issues?)

Yeah I've opened most of my files back up but for some reason some of them started to download again so hopefully my ratio will get better, and I see nothing says "clever" next to my screen name.

You probably need to do some port forwarding on your router (assuming you're using one).

Find your router on this page and follow the instructions. It's kind of confusing but ultimately not very hard to do.

People will connect to those who are connectible before they connect to you.

If something has a ton of seeders - your chances of seeding go down.

Best thing to do is dig around in the request section and see if you can fill anything.

Get EAC and learn how to use it.

Do not play your torrents in iTunes and then try to seed them.

Dig around in the help section and read the rules.

Well all the albums I have downloaded from OiNK have been really popular ones (Modest Mouse, new Son Volt etc.) so they all have tons of seeders. I read up on how to use EAC but I have a mac and I don't know if I can use it or not. I've searched in the request section and found quite a few Wilco requests which I have and could put up. Any more help would be appreciated.

If you learn how to set-up and use EAC properly, your torrents will be grabbed more often.

I grabbed some stuff the other day and I had to re-tag it all - the dude had his own name on the tracks in place of the band name.

I don't know anything about how to do this stuff on a MAC - but I bet if you search in the forums on the site, you will find what you need.

I also use a pattern in my descriptions - feel free to check it out and copy it.

Well I've been put off of Ratio watch and thanks for all the help analogman and cryptique. I'm just gonna make sure I'll keep my torrents open and I'm going to figure out how to upload torrents and use EAC on my other computer. Thanks for all the help again!

Well I've been put off of Ratio watch and thanks for all the help analogman and cryptique. I'm just gonna make sure I'll keep my torrents open and I'm going to figure out how to upload torrents and use EAC on my other computer. Thanks for all the help again!

If your other computer uses the same router, you may be OK ... but I think there's something about Oink that basically limits you to one computer, so just be aware that you may hit a roadblock because of that. I think there's something in the FAQ, if I recall correctly.

also, you mentioned things you're trying to seed restarting their download, as someone else said already

"Do not play your torrents in iTunes and then try to seed them."

You don't really have to be that strict, just realize that anytime you change any of the track titles, album titles artist names etc, this changes the id3 tags on the mp3s and will cause bit torrent to think the files don't match and download them again. If you want to play and seed your files from the same spot you'll have to keep the same info on them. I'm not sure about play count, i turn it off in itunes, but this may be stored in the tag as well.

Sign in to follow this