Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

i think it's better...

that 7 minute track "Armchairs" is amazing. even the 1 minute instrumental is stunning.

the dude's a genius. it's not enough that his music is brilliant, his lyrics are extremely clever and touching.

i always felt he could have cut a couple songs from Eggs and it would have been even stronger, whereas this one is just the right length

You know I feel exactly the opposite. I'd cut a couple of tunes from Armchair and Eggs is perfect.

You know I feel exactly the opposite. I'd cut a couple of tunes from Armchair and Eggs is perfect.

wow... Armchairs is pretty short, both in song # and length (isn't it like 6-7 min shorter than Eggs?)

it goes by way too fast for me

what song(s) from Armchairs would you cut? i absolutely ADORE every single track, even the 2 instrumentals.

from Eggs i would have cut probably The Happy Birthday Song and/or Banking on a Myth. those are the only 2 songs on Eggs that i don't think are all amazing. Myth is still pretty great, so maybe i'd just have cut Happy B-day, cuz ending the record on one of the albums strongest songs, Tables & Chairs, would have been a much better closer imo.

btw, you guys are listening to it with the correct tracklisting yes? not the leaked one?

1. Fiery Crash

2. Imitosis

3. Plasticities

4. Heretics

5. Armchairs

6. Dark Matter

7. Simple X

8. The Supine

9. Cataracts

10. Scythian Empire

11. Spare-Ohs

12. Yawny at the Apocalypse

it flows much much better w/ the actual tracklist imo

I loved MPOE, but I really love Armchair. I am going to go ahead and say it is the slightly better of the two. I agree with Solace that the length of this one is perfect and that the tracklist flows beautifully. Really, really great stuff.

And for what its worth, I've been listening to this non-stop for the past 3 days or so....

fingerlings3.gif

I can't stop. It is fantastic.

After further listening I have determined this is better than Eggs. This year is shaping up nicely and this could easily be its best record.

It comes out today. I think Eggs was Fantastic, and after having Armchair Apocrypha for a week or so, it's def pretty good. It's not quite the equal of Eggs, but its definitely worth a purchase. The only annoyance i have is the repeat of a song from Weather Systems (not really a repeat, more an evolution -- there are more lyrics and the song is longer -- but the lyrics and melodic structure is pretty much the same, and thats a bit dissapointing for a guy as creative as andrew)

The only annoyance i have is the repeat of a song from Weather Systems (not really a repeat, more an evolution -- there are more lyrics and the song is longer -- but the lyrics and melodic structure is pretty much the same, and thats a bit dissapointing for a guy as creative as andrew)

he did the same thing on Eggs... if you ask me i think it's amazing when he creates these evolutions of previous tracks. it shows his mind as an artist and i think that's awesome. i don't think it's like having a repeated track at all.

he did the same thing on Eggs... if you ask me i think it's amazing when he creates these evolutions of previous tracks. it shows his mind as an artist and i think that's awesome. i don't think it's like having a repeated track at all.

Point taken, but i just don't think its great enough of a change for it to be an evolution.