Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

"when our mouths are filled with uninvited tounges of others"... i really think this is my favorite line in the whole record. it's great! was really cool to drive in to school today listening to this with just a slight fog in the air...

It's good but I think the production was a lot better on Eggs. I think his voice is buried too much in the mix on this one. And the one song with the default adult contemporary drum machine beat reminds me of that "Standing Outside a Phonebooth" song by the Primitive Radio Gods

wah?

which song?

you better not be talking about Simple X... because Dosh wrote the music to that song, and if you know a single thing about Dosh, you'll know that his stuff is far from "default adult contemp drum machine beats"...

as for the production, i think the production is pretty stellar on here... absolutely zero complaints from me, and i'm about as picky as it gets in terms of production and audio quality

Yeah, I'm talking about Simple X. Sorry, I just don't get Dosh. I'm not so into beeps and bloops.

ok, apparently you've not seen him perform live then, because he does everything LIVE

the backing music to Simple X is all Dosh playing, no programmed beat at all, analog drums + keyboards/organ looped

hardly "bleeps & bloops" to me when it's being played physically and then looped (just like Andrew, only with different instruments)

in fact, Dosh is one of the most organic "electronic" artists i've ever seen live. he's not always my thing, but the dude has mad talent, like it or not.

After listening to Armchair again, in the correct order (thanks solace), I am really liking Armchair more and more. However it hasn't hit me like Eggs. Seems to set a mood for me from the first note to the last. As one complete work, Eggs is better. It is just what I think.

i think armchair is going to trump eggs for me and i can sum it up in 4 words - "the happy birthday song". i really dislike that song, and the fact that it closes the album only magnifies its impact on the album. don't get me wrong - the rest of eggs is absolutely amazing, but there is just not a song on armchair that annoys me so much.

on a side note - i played "bad aunt" today and looked for an on demand show to keep my nieces occupied... lo and behold the andrew bird "dr. stringz" episode popped up. that's really the only tv show i let them watch when i'm in charge, so i was thrilled to see it in its entirety. it's my favorite episode yet. :wub

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

saw him with Wilco when they were at the Crossroads here in KC.......I will say he is an amazing artist and musician........however I could not get the chicken from the old Robin Hood cartoon that whistles that song out of my head.........so unfortunately their is a mental block when it comes to his obsessive whistling and music........