Sky Blue Sky as an album

I'm trying to figure out if this is just me or not... but sometimes when i listen to SBS all the way through, I feel like its not really an album but rather just a collection of singles. I don't have any problems with the album as a whole, in fact i really do love it. Just on some listen throughs I feel like the album is disjointed and does not flow as well as their other albums.

hmm.. thats very interesting. i think maybe my initial feeling about the 'collection of singles' is because i (like mostly everyone else) heard each new live song one at a time and because of that got familiar with them individually... rather than not hearing them live and being able to take them in on my first listen as just an album

hmm.. thats very interesting. i think maybe my initial feeling about the 'collection of singles' is because i (like mostly everyone else) heard each new live song one at a time and because of that got familiar with them individually... rather than not hearing them live and being able to take them in on my first listen as just an album

Could be. I kind of felt that way at first, but after a few listens it started flowing smoothly for me, so I think you may be onto something about us being introduced to these songs one at a time rather than as a whole.

Yeah, this one does indeed flow very well. It's actually the band's most complete album thematically. It's closest relative would be Summerteeth. It's really mellow and not as dissonant as their last two were, so I think by taking a sharp right curve, the band has left some scratching their heads here. I think people were all ready to accept something on the level of YHF or AGIB, but this is something sweeter, more "spring-like" and 70s pop than perhaps anyone had expected. It reminds me a lot of the stuff that John and Pat do in The Autumn Defense, quite frankly. There's really no angst to the songwriting or the singing by Jeff, either. Which is another surprise.