any UKELELE players out there?

What's a good brand of ukelele? every place i've gone to doesn't have much of a selection so i haven't been able to try very many. Guitar center had one made by Cordoba, i think they make classical guitars. It sounded nice and played well but was $200. Any advice?

I got my ukelele at cost co for $30. It's fun to play around on and a nice instrument. It's certianly not fancy or professional but solidly constucted worth the price. I think it's a cascade.

If you're in chicago, the old town school of folk store has a sizeable selection of ukes at various prices.

I've always wanted one but have never dropped the dime on it.

Have played a thing called a "Fluke" tho.... It has a fancy plastic bowl body like an Ovation instrument and it sounded pretty "snappy". Played pretty easy too.

Think there's a couple of models available, one's smaller than the other. Both are pineapple-ish in shape. Couple of hundred bucks a pop..they're neat.

I've played ukes for many years and just love them. I have a few vintage, higher end instruments, Martin, Gibson, and Favailla, and have passed many along. Stay away from the lower end laminated instruments on the market. You want a solid wood instrument.

For under $200, I"ve read how the Bushman ukuleles are excellent value. Here is one link to a site:

http://www.ukes.com/bushman-ukuleles.html

You might also check out the market section of fleamarketmusic.com, one of the major uke boards.

By the way, Jeff Tweedy is a uke player. The Rollingstone article on Jeff & Wilco in 2004 (I think that's the year) has a picture of him with a Kamaka ukulele.

Happy strumming, T