The National - "Fake Empire" (track from new album)

yeah, the planet-husband guy is a huge Deerhoof fan and I'm pretty sure he thinks Milk-Eyed Mender is the best release of the century, so it's easy to discount everything he says.

rest of you see the concert a emporter shows?

http://www.blogotheque.net/article.php3?id_article=2839

f-ing fantastic.

wtf is "milk eyed mender"?

edit: I just looked it up, and you couldn't be more wrong. I had to sit through one of her shows, and I was ready jump out of the balcony.

Edited by Aricandover

oh just trying to stir things up by insulting Chris.

If the comparison had been made to Nick Cave, Tindersticks etc, it would have been pretty good, but f'ing Crash Test Dummies, that is a cheap and unthinking shot.

If the comparison had been made to Nick Cave, Tindersticks etc, it would have been pretty good, but f'ing Crash Test Dummies, that is a cheap and unthinking shot.

Kris

and maybe the CTD thing was a bit unfair. how about Peter Steele covering "Oops I Did It Again?" mind you, I'm only talking about the guy's voice. the music is actually pretty good.

Kris

oops sorry.

About the only think I don't like about this band is that there is a ton of pretension with the lead singer. In concert, a number of songs are soooo emotionally draining that he sings them on the floor, or crouched down by the monitors.

But that's my one quibble. I also think that artists should be Iggy Pop/The Hold Steady happy and smiling in concert or else why go to see someone who's a big drag. I'm not really objective about tortured 'artistes'.

Yeah, I know. I'd have said Stuart Staples (Tindersticks) would have been a better comparison too.

If the rest of the album is as good as this track, then I'll be very happy.

I know these guys have a lot of fans around here but I have never been able to get into them. After really liking this song (thanks for the heads up, summerfoxtrot), I decided to spin Alligator again and now it sounds great. I especially love Mr. November. I now may be a convert.

I know these guys have a lot of fans around here but I have never been able to get into them. After really liking this song (thanks for the heads up, summerfoxtrot), I decided to spin Alligator again and now it sounds great. I especially love Mr. November. I now may be a convert.

you'd prolly at least dig 'Murder Me Rachel' from Sad Songs as well

it took me awhile to get into Alligator (other than Mr. November) too. it didn't really grab me right away.

i'm pretty amped on "Start a War" (from the Blogotheque vids)

just picked up a pair of tickets for the astoria gig. i love alligator, brilliant album! 'daughters of the soho riots' is a fantastic tune. :thumbup

fake empire sounds great. looking forward to this release...