The ashtray says

You were up all night

I once gave a friend a couple Wilco albums to listen to and the next day that was the first thing he said to me. He loved it. "How does someone come up with that?"

i really feel like that one is kinda obvious. the ashtray is full of cigarettes so the person was up all night worrying/smoking. clever as hell though. i always liked it myself.

-justin

sometimes lyrics aren't mean to convey the actual meanings of the words, but more the feelings and emotions in your subconscious that immediately resonate. it's called impressionism.

-justin

Great point.

The ashtray says

You were up all night

I once gave a friend a couple Wilco albums to listen to and the next day that was the first thing he said to me. He loved it. "How does someone come up with that?"

They read too much Henry Miller.

"I am an American Aquarium Drinker, I assassin down the avenue" (and basically all the lyrics to IATTBYH)

I too was befuddled by this line, until I realized you could take it as referring to not an aquarium drinker (yuck) who happened to be American, but rather to a drinker of the American Aquarium, which I suppose is a way of saying he absorbs the vast richness of American cultural life, or something like that. In which case, lets face it, the assassin part makes more sense.

• 3 weeks later...
smoking grass and taking christmas trees

she fell in love with me

although weird i have always felt a strange connection to these lyrics

me too because I feel like it's a person who is fucked up yet she fell in love him. Something I can relate to.