Post your Netflix Queue

1 Growin' a Beard (ariving tomorrow...a film about a beard growing contest)

I own Growin' A Beard. I even got critiqued by the beard guy when I was in ad school. He was kind of a dick but it's a cool doc with a great soundtrack. Make sure to watch the special features--the thing about the 72 oz steak in Amarillo is great.

Just sent back:

The Last Detail--really, really great flick with Jack Nicholson and a very young Randy Quaid

At Home:

Stranger Than Fiction--this was awesome.

Miller's Crossing

Harlan County, USA--I've had this for months. I'm just never in the mood.

In Queue:

Brick

The Apostle

King of Bluegrass

Murder on a Sunday Morning

The Fog of War

One Bright Shining Moment

Sherman's March

Mr Death: Fred A Leuchter Jr.

Marjoe

Festival Express

Cold Mountain

Chinatown

Powwow Highway

Local Hero

We Jam Econo

The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack

Cowboy del Amor

LolliLove

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Badlands

Maria Full of Grace

The Straight Story

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The Motorcycle Diaries

Amores Perros

I just watched The Insider, from 1999. It stars Al Pacino and Russel Crowe and is about the big tobacco companies and their knowledge of nicotine's addictive properties. Pretty damn good film.

That is a good one. One of the few movies that Russell Crowe actually acts in, which is nice.

People, friends:

1. Water

2. Volver

3. Habla con ella

4. Amores perros

Apparently, I'm a sucker for foreign films. But, man, are these good.

EDIT: Ooh, those are just recs. Here's the queue:

Munich

Everything is Illuminated

8 1/2

Gloomy Sunday

All the King's Men

and some dozens more.

Saw a couple of so-so reviews for Babel on here. I really liked this film a lot. I know it can be a difficult movie to get in to, but I think it's a very rewarding flick if you can just sort of give in to it on a very basic level. That sounds like psyco-babble bullshit but I think it's a pretty good picture all in all.

People, friends:

1. Water

2. Volver

3. Habla con ella

4. Amores perros

Apparently, I'm a sucker for foreign films. But, man, are these good.

EDIT: Ooh, those are just recs. Here's the queue:

Munich

Everything is Illuminated

8 1/2

Gloomy Sunday

All the King's Men

and some dozens more.

Never mind all those foreign films, what are you doing with a pic of that diving, prancing tosser in your avatar!? :angry

On a lighter note, the tv showed the US vs John Lennon here the other night. Great little flic.

He is a bit of a deutsch bag, but check out how huge his mouth is. Mega creepers.

Did you ever scope the way he runs? If that isn't a running style just ASKING to have his legs broken by a hard man defender....

I've had a bad run on Netflix movies lately - I can't remember the last time I liked something enough to give it a 4 or 5 star rating. Last night I watched The King, and loved it. I was continually surprized by the story, and both William Hurt and Gael Garcia Bernal were excellent. I really enjoyed the pacing of the movie too, leisurely but suspenseful at the same time. There's not many films where the camera can linger on the reflection of the sun on the water, or two characters sitting holding hands, or a guy drinking a beer, without it detracting from the action and pulling the viewer out of the film. Anyway, a really well done movie - I enjoyed it much more than The Departed, Blood Diamond, Babel, Little Miss Sunshine, Science of Sleep, The Prestige, blah blah blah.

Next up: Children of Men and Half Nelson

i'm bummed w/ netflix again. it's too slow. my movies due to arrive today did not, and i sent the old out on weds/thurs of last week. it shouldn't take a week when i live 30 miles from the nearest shipping center.

Maybe your mail carrier is on teh crystal meth.

i've wondered if he's swiping my outbound movies, watching them and then sending them in. it's uncanny how slow the system is. i was hoping to watch the good shepherd tonight.

Hmm. That might be true. This is from Wikipedia, so ...

"Throttling" and the Chavez lawsuit

Netflix's allocation policy

In February 2006 Netflix indicated that it would alter the settlement terms so that customers would be required to actively approve any continuation after the free month provided by the settlement. The final settlement hearing was on March 22, 2006. After the settlement was agreed upon, Netflix opened up registration on their website, with a deadline of June 26, 2006.[17] On September 6, 2006, an appeal was filed in California Appellate Courts, 1st Appellate District. The settlement benefit will not be distributed until the appeals process is completed, which could take 12 or more months.[18]

When we got our settlement offer in the mail, we just said "Phhssshh...whatevs. So not worth the effort," and declined the opportunity. The whole throttling practice is rather sheisty.

i tried to get my free month, but it never happened. it wasn't worth chasing down for $20.

i watched the anniversary party last night. it was good. the hot chick to normal chick ratio of that movie was off the charts.

I just saw The Assassination of Richard Nixon, and that was really good. Sean Penn is consistently amazing.

I liked that a lot, too. Really underrated.

Provocative, well-filmed, non-geeky sci-fi about the end of the world- The Quiet Earth.

New Zealand film from the 80's- I swear I'm one of about a dozen people who have ever seen it...