some other debuts that haven't been mentioned:

rage against the machine - s/t

black sabbath - s/t

elvis presley - s/t

edit: i didn't see the rock & roll part earlier (removed a bunch of hardcore and metal)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the ones that would occupy my top 10 have already been mentioned (glad to see Moby Grape get a nod -- if you haven't heard that record, stop what you're doing RIGHT NOW and fix that).

Here are some that I haven't seen mentioned -- strong contenders for anyone's list:

Any Trouble - Where Are All the Nice Girls?

The Beautiful South - Welcome to the Beautiful South

Bettie Serveert - Palomine

Big Country - The Crossing

Big Star - # 1 Record

Marshall Crenshaw - s/t

The Fletcher Pratt - Nine By Nine

The Housemartins - London 0 Hull 4

Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle

The Nils - s/t

Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - s/t

Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville

The Police - Outlandos D'Amour

The Semantics - Powerbill

Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material

Gillian Welch - Revival

I was going to mention Warren Zevon's self-titled album, but apparently he released an album back in the late '60s that wasn't so good (haven't heard it myself).

Curiously I see no mention of AM in this here list.

Kinda figured someone would put that in.

Though not really a debut (well it is as far as solo material goes) I'll have to add Garcia s/t

The Who - The Who Sings My Generation

The Stooges - The Stooges

The Ramones - The Ramones

The Clash - The Clash

Van Halen - Van Halen I

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Boston - Boston

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

The Police - Outlandos D'Amour

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Zappa/Mothers--Freakout!

:thumbup You beat me to it, my friend!

I'd add Warren Zevon to the list. Many consider his self-titled debut to be his best album.

Oh, also a little band called The Pink Floyd. Piper At The Gates of Dawn is still a desert island pick for me.

It was their only album, and therefore it was both.

And yeah, they did release a bunch of singles beforehand, but I'm sticking with it.

They did release an album before that (in separate U.S. and U.K. versions), but, meh.

I'd add Warren Zevon to the list. Many consider his self-titled debut to be his best album.
I was going to mention Warren Zevon's self-titled album, but apparently he released an album back in the late '60s that wasn't so good (haven't heard it myself).

You're right. Maybe I should have said "self-titled major label debut." :lol

How about some props for Brian Eno for Here Come the Warm Jets?

Zevon turned to a musical career early, including a stretch as part of a Sonny and Cher-type male/female duo called lyme and cybelle (a band whose correct spelling is all lower case), and he spent time as a session musician (notably as piano player and band leader for the Everly Brothers) and jingle composer. He wrote several songs for his White Whale label-mates the Turtles, though his participation in their recording is unknown. Another early composition ("She Quit Me") was included in the soundtrack for the film Midnight Cowboy (1969). Zevon's first attempt at a solo album, Wanted Dead or Alive (1969), was produced by 1960s cult figure Kim Fowley but did not fare well in the marketplace. Flashes of Zevon's later writing preoccupations of romantic loss and noir-ish violence are present in songs like "Tule's Blues" and "A Bullet for Ramona". Zevon's second effort, Leaf in the Wind, was scrapped (though a belated release was contemplated just prior to his death). In the early '70s, Zevon toured regularly with the Everly Brothers as keyboard player and band leader/musical coordinator. His dissatisfaction with his career led him to move to Spain briefly, where he played in a small bar owned by David Lindell, a former mercenary. Together they penned Zevon's classic "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner."

One of those Lyme and Cybelle songs is on the Nuggets box.

The Doors - The Doors

Piper At The Gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

I - Led Zeppelin

Ten - Pearl Jam

Blue Album - Weezer

Boston - Boston

Funeral - Arcade Fire

Trace - Son Volt

Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix

In no particular order:

The Doors--s/t

The Band--Music From Big Pink

King Crimson--In the Court of the Crimson King

Led Zeppelin-I

NRPS--s/t

The Clash--s/t

Dire Straits--s/t

The Pretenders--s/t

Phish--Junta

Pearl Jam--Ten

Boston

Psychocandy, Jesus and Mary Chain

Greetings From Asbury Park, Bruce Springsteen

As much as I love Springsteen (and I do Love me some Springsteen...) Greetings From Asbury Park did not live up to the Hype. To me Greetings from Asbury Park is to Springsteen as AM is to Wilco. (Although Greetings is Stronger all the way around).

However, The Wild, The Innocent, The E-Street Shuffle (which was the sound of the early Springsteeen) is the best Sophomore album EVER.

The arrangements and production on that record are friggin' amazing. "The Wild..." has always sounded like summer on a packed bar patio in a resort town to my ears. Purely in terms of how it sounds, it's my favourite Springsteen album.

This thread make me think of the line "you have your whole life to write your first album, and a few months to write the next one" or however it goes - depending on whose saying it.

I usually (with some exceptions, of course) prefer a band's first two or three albums to whatever else they do.