The National - Boxer

I am only on my second listen, but it sounds pretty awesome :)

I seriously love these guys, I must have listened to Alligator and Sad Songs like 10 times this week in anticipation of this leak.

It's definitely a more mellow affair than Alligator and not much besides Fake Empire and Mistaken for Strangers stuck out at my on the first listen, but the best National songs reveal themselves in time, so I hope that is the case on Boxer as well.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds very good. They stepped it up a notch production wise. Richer warmer sound. A bit "darker maybe". Drums do appear more prominent on this one. Songs come from a bit darker place too I think. Really digging "Start A War" and "Apartment Story" quite a bit.

Alligator proved to be a real grower for me, so we'll see.

yeah it is, i didn't mean it's a ripoff, just that it REALLY reminds me of that song, mostly in his vocal phrasing

especially on the "you get mistaken for strangers by your own friends" part... VERY similiar to the "It took a life spent with no cellmate" of Evil

Lots of subtle little things going on down in the mix w/ strings and piano and such;( I'm talking about the entire album here, not just MFS)

They haven't tried to evolve or try anything differently style-wise really. It all just seems more refined than the previous records.

I'm only going though it in it's entirety for the second time now.

This really a good effort.

yeah it is, i didn't mean it's a ripoff, just that it REALLY reminds me of that song, mostly in his vocal phrasing

especially on the "you get mistaken for strangers by your own friends" part... VERY similiar to the "It took a life spent with no cellmate" of Evil

i hear the similarities...but, of course, the lyrics to Mistaken for Strangers are much much better. as much as i like Interpol, the lyrics are just baffling to me.

i hear the similarities...but, of course, the lyrics to Mistaken for Strangers are much much better. as much as i like Interpol, the lyrics are just baffling to me.

totally.

Interpol's lyrics are total trite unfortunately

Bryan Devendorf = amazing on drums.

His stuff on Alligator is incredible, but he's amazing on this too.

This is def not Alligator pt. 2, and although I'm digging it so far, I think it is going to take a while to find out if I love it just as much as Alligator. The National make records that creep up on you.

i love the album, especially the last 4 songs: Guest Room, Racing Like a Pro, Ada, and Gospel. Gospel might be my favorite. but that may change. there are no weak tracks here.

i used to hate saying an album is a "grower," but that cliche applies here. it sort of floated by on first listen...now the melodies are in my head and i appreciate the layers more

Start a War is great. Puts me in quite the melancholy mood.

"Whatever went away I'll get it over again. I'll get money, I'll get funny again..."

And Apartment Story is just amazing.

And Fake Empire has been in my head for a week

Damn, I love these guys.