The National - Boxer

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am only on my second listen, but it sounds pretty awesome :)

but the best National songs reveal themselves in time, so I hope that is the case on Boxer as well.

Agreed! After many listens, Sad Songs has proven more durable than Alligator which, for me, presented it's charms quicker.

This album is FINE! Have been listening every day since leaked, and liking it more and more. Can't wait to see them this summer.

It is really good - more uptempo than Alligator, which I liked. Great rhythms to it all as well... a lot better than the Bright Eyes album.

hmm... i think most (myself included) would argue that Alligator is more uptempo than Boxer...

regardless, as great as Alligator was, i like this more already

hmm... i think most (myself included) would argue that Alligator is more uptempo than Boxer...

I agree with that statement.

regardless, as great as Alligator was, i like this more already

Not quite there yet tho. on that one.

I'm gonna throw this out there for WTW: I like all the songs on Boxer, already love a few but as an album I think the second half bogs down a bit.

Finishing up w/ Ada and Gospel back to back just slows things too much.

BTW I love Ada.

I got to say...I hadn't heard of these guys before a couple of weeks ago. Really digging this album ('Slow Show' is my most immediate favorite). I'm ready to go into their back catalog...it sounds like the consensus is that "Alligator" is their best? Should I start there? What the band's story?

Cheers.

I got to say...I hadn't heard of these guys before a couple of weeks ago. Really digging this album ('Slow Show' is my most immediate favorite). I'm ready to go into their back catalog...it sounds like the consensus is that "Alligator" is their best? Should I start there? What the band's story?

Cheers.

I'm loving this record. It will be in my top 5 for sure.

IMO, Slow Show > Apartment Story > Start A War is the high point of the record.

I just downloaded this as well and I'm quite enjoying it. It's the first time I've heard the National, I read up on them when Alligator came out but for some reason never bothered to listen to them. Thank you Via Chicago!

Cheers.

Alligator is generally regarded as their best, yes. Time will tell if Boxer's popularity eclipses it. And yeah I def. agree Alligator is much much more uptempo than Boxer.

Anywho, start with Alligator, one of my favorite albums period, and if you enjoy that check out Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers and the Cherry Tree EP. Sad Songs is pretty great top to bottom, and Cherry Tree is a more relaxed, acoustic affair witht he song "About Today" being one of my favorite songs they've recorded.

And if you stilll really like those, the s/t ain't bad either, but all their subsequent albums have been vastly superior.

I really hate to do this but, does anyone have any spare invites to a good torrent site just lying around? Finally when I got bittorrent configured with the new computer, I realized all of my accounts were dead. Thanks anywho!

Alligator is generally regarded as their best, yes. Time will tell if Boxer's popularity eclipses it. And yeah I def. agree Alligator is much much more uptempo than Boxer.

Anywho, start with Alligator, one of my favorite albums period, and if you enjoy that check out Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers and the Cherry Tree EP. Sad Songs is pretty great top to bottom, and Cherry Tree is a more relaxed, acoustic affair witht he song "About Today" being one of my favorite songs they've recorded.

And if you stilll really like those, the s/t ain't bad either, but all their subsequent albums have been vastly superior.

Nice. Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check "Alligator" out. I'll start there.

The National will be opening for the first week of Arcade Fire's North American Tour.

http://www.arcadefire.net/tour-dates/the-n...for-arcade-fire

05/01/07 Atlanta, GA Atlanta Civic Ctr. Theatre

05/02/07 Asheville, NC Thomas Wolfe Auditorium

05/04/07 Washington, DC DAR Constitution Hall

05/05/07 Upper Darby, PA Tower Theatre

05/07/07 New York, NY United Palace

05/08/07 New York, NY United Palace

05/09/07 New York, NY Radio City Music Hall

tour of the year?? :blink

christ i hope they stay on through Chicago

I second that.

they're not unfortunately, RCMH is their last opening slot. they're off to the UK a bit after that

St. Vincent opens the first Chi show and Electrelane (who are quite good) open the 2nd & 3rd

• 1 month later...