The National - Boxer

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the suggestions! Although I'm still torn of where to start, I'm leaning toward Alligator first. And thanks for the downloads, I'll def. check them out.

I started with Boxer, if it's any help. I think they're a damn good band. My second fave this year to Andrew Bird.

Honestly, I would say to start with "Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers".

But if you're going to pick between the Gator and "Boxer", I think I would lean "Alligator". So many amazing songs - "Karen", "All the Wine", and "Mr. November", especially.

I also agree with the poster who said that "Boxer" is a more cohesive album. They didn't put the token rocker on there, but it's still one of the best five albums to come out this year so far.

In case anyone is wondering (or not), I bought Alligator last Friday. It wasn't a tough choice between the 2 since Boxer was out of stock in the store! I figured that was a good sign. Got to listen to it finally on Monday at work and surprisingly liked it since the beginning since I heard it grows on you. But I realized that is true because everyday this week when I chose what music to listen to first I chose that album. So it is already growing on me and I already really like it! I'm thinking after a few more listens I will become more attached. Can't wait to buy Boxer but am waiting until I love 'gator first. Glad I checked them out finally and thanks for all the info.

:lol glad you're on the national bandwagon. both alligator and boxer were "growers" for me, and while i love alligator, for some reason boxer still holds the higher place in my heart. maybe just because it's newer... i dunno. i hope that next time boxer is in stock for you. :yes
Glad I checked them out finally and thanks for all the info.

Good for you, you won't be disappointed. I found Sad Songs and Alligator to be slow boilers but eventually, like all good music, they reveal their jewels beautifully. And of course Boxer is one of the top 10 if not 5 albums this year for me.

when the f is that vincent moon film coming out already?

SS: Could you tell me a little bit about Vincent Moon and his video for Boxer?

Matt: I've known him for probably four or five years. We met him in France, and he took a lot of the photos that were on the cover of Alligator, so he's a photographer and filmmaker that we've just become friends with. So he followed us around, and he was in the studio with us a lot during the time we were making Boxer and on the road with us. So he's shot a lot of things that he's put together into little videos. He's got these things called the take-away shows, which he's done a lot for us, and he's started to take off. He's done [work] for Arcade Fire and Michael Stipe just called him and wants him to do some films for him. It's really great for him. Things are kind of taking off, and we've been lucky to be friends with him for a long time. None of us have seen it, but he did a film, about an hour long, about Boxer. That's going to be coming out in a few months. We really don't know what it's going to be like. He's got an eye and a style that he shoots stuff behind the scenes and puts bands in little environments that you wouldn't normally see a band in. He's got a way of capturing the behind-the-curtain version of a band, which is always pretty interesting.

This was printed around June I believe, so we still have a few months to go.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

September 22, 2007, Chicago, IL

Brainy

Secret Meeting

Mistaken For Strangers

Slow Show

Baby, We'll Be Fine

Squalor Victoria

Abel

All The Wine

Racing Like A Pro

Ada

City Middle

Apartment Story

Daughters Of The Soho Riots

Fake Empire

About Today

Start A War

Green Gloves

Mr. November

Compare that with Friday's set from Milwaukee:

Start a War

Mistaken for Strangers

Secret Meeting

Brainy

Baby, We'll be Fine

Slow Show

Squalor Victoria

Abel

All the Wine

Racing like a Pro

Ada

City Middle

Apartment Story

Daughters of the Soho Riots

Fake Empire

About Today

Green Gloves

Mr. November

And, in case you didn't know, Anne Clark (St. Vincent) is insanely talented and HOT.