The National - Boxer

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately I don't know/care what critics say, so I took this record at face value and I love love love it. Everytime a song comes up on my iPod, I look at it and say to myself... "Of course this is The National".

Fortunately I don't know/care what critics say, so I took this record at face value and I love love love it. Everytime a song comes up on my iPod, I look at it and say to myself... "Of course this is The National".

yeah... fuck the critics... who pays attention to them anyway? there's been far too many great albums i'd have missed out on otherwise, and so many shitty records/artists they've praised. not worth my time.

This album was so burdened by its critical praise by the time it landed on my ipod that it was hard to listen to it with a blank slate. It struck me as good but not great. A sort of Nick Cave for the latte crowd..... a more ballady Interpol maybe.

have you heard their other records? they're definitely not a "ballad-y" band. Boxer was def mellower/more refined, but they can rock out pretty damn hard:

yeah... fuck the critics... who pays attention to them anyway? there's been far too many great albums i'd have missed out on otherwise, and so many shitty records/artists they've praised. not worth my time.

Good call. This was actually an instance where I was turned on to the band because of critics. Not a bad record by any means, just felt a little 'lite'. Incidentally, have any of you ever heard a band called Elbow. I was just put on to them. Not necessarily the same as the National stuff, but I could see a fan of one enjoying the other. Pretty interesting/melodic stuff.