the mets were indeed the supperior team last night

if that is a sign of things to come for the cards...they are in some serious trouble...anytime you have Looper in your starting rotation...you are in for it. And if Carpenter loses his edge...its over

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free at last, free at last...thank God almighty, i'm free at last...

Tribune says it plans to sell Chicago Cubs after 2007 season

By DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer

April 2, 2007

CHICAGO (AP) -- Tribune Co. said it plans to sell the Chicago Cubs at the end of the 2007 baseball season, putting one of its most valuable assets on the block as it simultaneously announced Monday that real estate magnate Sam Zell was acquiring the media conglomerate.

Analysts have estimated that the Cubs could fetch $600 million or more. Tribune bought the team in 1981 for $20.5 million.

"The Cubs have been an important part of Tribune for more than 25 years and are one of the most storied franchises in all of sports," said Dennis FitzSimons, Tribune chairman, president and chief executive officer. "In our last season of ownership, the team has one mission, and that is to win for our great fans."

Tribune said the company's 25 percent interest in Comcast SportsNetChicago would be part of the sale package.

The Cubs' strength as a sports franchise -- and the lure of potentially steering them to their first championship since 1908 -- has attracted the interest of many potential buyers. Billionaire entrepreneur Mark Cuban, actor Bill Murray and columnist George Will are among those rumored to have interest, along with numerous Chicago business figures.

Jerry Colangelo, chairman of the NBA's Phoenix Suns and former owner of both the Suns and baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, told The Associated Press in November that he would have "great interest" in buying his hometown baseball franchise if it became available and had already held preliminary discussions with others who might join him in a bid.

Speculation that the struggling Tribune Co. might sell the Cubs ramped up last fall when it put itself up for possible sale, under pressure from disgruntled shareholders. It intensified with the club's offseason spending spree, including signing outfielder Alfonso Soriano to an eight-year contract for $136 million -- the fifth-richest contract in major league history.

Tribune had said for months that it would focus first on a sale of the entire company before considering selling individual pieces, which also include 23 television stations and 11 newspapers, including the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Newsday and eight other dailies.

That sale was announced Monday morning when it said it had agreed to a complex deal in which Tribune will go private and billionaire Zell will invest $315 million in the deal.

Cubs President John McDonough said the mission has not changed for the team.

"The goal is to win a World Series for our great fans," he said. "Under the leadership of Lou Piniella, we are on track and believe 2007 will be a very successful season."

The fact the ownership change will not occur until after the season will help maintain the focus on day-to-day operations, he said.

While the Cubs are renowned for their losing ways, they also have become more of a box-office success under Tribune's ownership and have spent dramatically more money in recent years, as McDonough noted.

Others who expressed interest in buying the Cubs recently include Chicago businessman Don Levin, owner of the Chicago Wolves minor-league hockey team, and a prospective ownership group of 15 investors that includes Tom Begel, chairman of Chicago-based TMB Industries.

My very first game was either June 21, 1994 or June 23, 1994 vs the Cubs.

I only remember that they played the Cubs in Joe Robbie Stadium (back when it was Joe Robbie, though it's still Joe Robbie to me) and lost, and those are the only ones that fit, so it has to be those.

First pitch for the Marlins is in less than 5 minutes. Just finished my lunch (turkey sub from Subway with chocolate chip cookies for desert) and I'm ready.

Mine was 1974, Red Sox (Bill Lee) vs. White Sox (Wilbur Wood). White Sox won ...

My first game was around this same time, though it was at Comiskey, not Fenway. Wilbur Wood may have pitched (I know I saw him pitch at least once).

Now I want to dig into my parents' files and see if they kept all those old '70s White Sox programs -- I'd love to know which games I saw back then.

My first game was Yankees at Tigers. It was a group thing for my brother's Cub Scout troupe, of which my dad was the leader, and I got brought along. Not sure exactly when it was, but probably sometime in '87 or '88.

First game was around 1972 at Fenway. I have no idea which game. My dad used to truck us (5 brothers) up there from south central CT a lot. We'd drop my mom off at Filene's basement and hit the game then meet up at Faneuil Hall.

We used to go to a few Met's games every year in my youth, too. My dad and his pal's would rent a bus for games. I got my picture taken with Catfish Hunter on Picture Day at Shea in the mid-late 70s (the Yankees were playing at Shea for a spell while Yankee Stadium underwent renovations).

Marlins are putting on a display today. Dontrelle has been impressive and the offense is lighting it up. Highlights: Hanley Ramirez 3-3 with a double 3 runs, and 2 steals. Miguel Cabrera 2-2 double, HR, 4 rbi. Woo!

Also, Miguel Cabrera showed why you absolutely cannot make a mistake. He hit his double on a slider after Patterson fooled him with a slider the pitch before. The home run was a belt high fastball, middle of the plate and he just crushed it. That was the definition of a no doubter. I actually yelled out "HO!" when he hit it because it was one of those that you just have to respond to...

glad I have Cabrera & Willis today

You'll be glad you have Cabrera every day. :thumbup

I see Analogman as more of a Pirates fan.

Duh.

Ugh. They just showed James Carville at the Nationals-Marlins game, and he was wearing a tank top. Thats one thing I never need to see again.

Also, Miguel Cabrera showed why you absolutely cannot make a mistake. He hit his double on a slider after Patterson fooled him with a slider the pitch before. The home run was a belt high fastball, middle of the plate and he just crushed it. That was the definition of a no doubter. I actually yelled out "HO!" when he hit it because it was one of those that you just have to respond to...

Hanley: 4-4, 2 SB, 3 R, 1 RBI

Miguelito: 2-2, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 R, 4 RBI 2 BB.

I'm trying to get someone on the Marlin board to photoshop Hanley Ramirez face onto MC Hammer's "Please, Hammer Don't Hurt Em" album and change "Hammer" to "Hanley". That will be awesome.