Now Playing April 2007

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm...i just read it. i can't say i disagree with the reviewer.

The problem with the review is that the guy acts like it is Oberst's fault that journalists describe him the way they do. I mean, the guy can't really help that he started making music when he was young, that he got asked to be on the vote for change tour, that lazy journalists can't come up with anything better than the next-Dylan tag-line. So he spends his time deriding him for a ton of shit he can't help and then attacks him on the basis of not living up to those demands. Like Bright Eyes of hate Bright Eyes, the review is one of the worst reviews I have ever read of anything.

I have to agree with timbits ... that review is spot-on, in my opinion. Just goes to show how subjective this music stuff really is.

For a genuinely horrible review (in my opinion, of course), try this one, which dismisses a very listenable, well-constructed album in a most juvenile and pretentious manner. True, the record may have been a slight letdown after what preceded it, but it's hardly the disaster he makes it out to be ... again, in my opinion.

The problem with the review is that the guy acts like it is Oberst's fault that journalists describe him the way they do. I mean, the guy can't really help that he started making music when he was young, that he got asked to be on the vote for change tour, that lazy journalists can't come up with anything better than the next-Dylan tag-line. So he spends his time deriding him for a ton of shit he can't help and then attacks him on the basis of not living up to those demands. Like Bright Eyes of hate Bright Eyes, the review is one of the worst reviews I have ever read of anything.

as much as i despise bright eyes/conor, i gotta agree w/ the handsome young man.

"there are patterns in the static."

Isnt that a line from a Death Cab song?

N.P:

B000O5AYCA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V23655320_AA240_.jpg

Well... To counter that, ATP this year is going to be awesome:

65daysofstatic

Akron Family

Alexander Tucker

Annuals

Apples In Stereo

Architecture In Helsinki

Band of Horses

Bat For Lashes

Battles

Brightblack Morning Light

Built To Spill

Capricorns

Clinic

Cornelius

Current 93

Daniel Johnston

Death Vessel

Do Make Say Think

Echo and the Bunnymen

Edan + MC Dagha

Explosions in the Sky

Ghost

Grizzly Bear

Isis

Les Savy Fav

Micah P. Hinson

Modest Mouse

Mogwai

Okkervil River

Patti Smith

Shellac

Slint

Sparklehorse

The Books

The Go! Team

The Notwist

The Thermals

Trans Am

Two Gallants

Wilco

Yo La Tengo

Youth Movie Soundtrack Strategies

Plus offers out to:

American Analog Set

Autechre

Chavez

Don Caballero

Gruff Rhys

Hood

Jens Lekman

Stars

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks

Subtle

The Decemberists

Xiu Xiu

^I keep forgetting Apples In Stereo are playing.

I'd LOVE to see The Long Winters. Their latest is one of my most played albums recently.

ok, that's awesome, quit complaining. ;)

i'll be missing the books and cornelius in a couple weeks due to a cancun vacation. feel sorry for me. :yes

i've seen apples in stereo and the thermals lately... :rock :rock :rock they'll be great.

seeing xiu xiu and decemberists soon.

i'm very jealous about okkervil river and jens lekman (if he accepts).

the long winters were SO much fun in concert. not only were they tight, but very funny crowd banter and great stage presence. i hope they get out to the uk soon for you guys. though they said they're near the end of their tour and are heading back to seattle to work on a new album...