• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was it true that Ryan had the album on his website already?

(i remember he had some music on his site that was kind of like a radio station where you could stream music and live concerts).

was it true that Ryan had the album on his website already?

(i remember he had some music on his site that was kind of like a radio station where you could stream music and live concerts).

Now that I do not recall.

More Chinese Democracy

Following please find an e-mail thread between Eric Garland, CEO of BigChampagne, and myself:

Subject: Re: More Irving/Leaks

Date: September 3, 2008 11:12:17 AM PDT

To: bob@lefsetz.com

So often I hear "artists, labels, and publishers have the right

• 3 weeks later...
Best Buy Snags Guns N' Roses Album Exclusive

September 26, 2008 , 3:10 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Best Buy will be the exclusive retailer for Guns N' Roses decade-plus-in-the-making new album "Chinese Democracy" before year's end, sources close to the situation tell Billboard. Some details of the deal are still being worked out, including the release date.

The news brings a semblance of closure to the bizarre history of "Democracy," which Guns N' Roses has been working on since the mid-1990s. Since then, every original member of the once mighty group has left besides vocalist Axl Rose, and millions of dollars have been spent working on the new material.

"Democracy" was most recently on the Interscope release schedule in March 2007. The endless delays encountered by the project reached comic levels this spring, when soft drink manufacturer Dr Pepper offered to send a free can of the beverage to "everyone in America" (excluding ex-GNR members Slash and Buckethead) if "Chinese Democracy" were to arrive anytime during the calendar year 2008.

In June, nine purported "mastered, finished" tracks from the album were leaked online, prompting an FBI investigation into their source. A sign "Chinese Democracy" was perhaps finally nearing release came in July, when the band agreed to debut new track "Shackler's Revenge" in the video game "Rock Band 2," which hit stores earlier this month.

Guns N' Roses is now managed by Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, and Azoff is a well-known proponent of issuing albums exclusively through retailers. He released the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" through Wal-Mart in 2007, much to the chagrin of other merchants, but the album was a runaway hit, having sold 3.1 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Shackler's Revenge

• 2 weeks later...
GNR's 'Chinese Democracy' Gets Release Date

October 09, 2008 , 11:40 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

More than a decade after its conception, Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" will finally see the light of day before year's end, sources close to the situation confirm to Billboard. As first reported here, the set will be a Best Buy exclusive and will be available Sunday, Nov. 23, rather than the usual Tuesday.

Beyond enticing pre-Thanksgiving shoppers, the move is tied to the structure of Best Buy's sales week, which runs from Sunday to Saturday. As such, "Chinese Democracy" would not be eligible to chart on The Billboard 200 until the week of Dec. 1, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In the run-up to release date, album track "Shackler's Revenge" will debut in the video game "Rock Band 2," while a portion of "If the World" is playing over the end credits in the new Leonardo DiCaprio/Russell Crowe film "Body of Lies."

In addition, GNR's seminal 1987 debut, "Appetite for Destruction," will be reissued on vinyl on Oct. 28 via Interscope.

The band's last new studio albums were the simultaneously released "Use Your Illusion I" and "II" in September 1991. A covers set, "The Spaghetti Incident?," followed in 1993, and featured some of the last GNR recordings from original guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan.

This spring, soft drink manufacturer Dr Pepper offered to send a free can of the beverage to "everyone in America" (excluding ex-GNR members Slash and Buckethead) if "Chinese Democracy" were to arrive anytime during the calendar year 2008.

"We're waiting to hear about 'Chinese Democracy' just like all the other GNR fans," Dr Pepper VP of marketing Tony Jacobs tells Billboard. "But if the rumors are true, we're putting the Dr Pepper on ice."

Best Buy Posts 'Chinese Democracy' Track List

October 16, 2008 , 11:45 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The track list for Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" is now up on an inactive pre-order page at Best Buy, which will release the album exclusively in the United States on Nov. 23. A small album cover image also appears there.

Of the 14 songs, 11 have either been played live or leaked online in the decade-plus since Guns N' Roses began work on "Chinese Democracy." The only three unfamiliar tracks are "Scraped," "Sorry" and "Prostitute," while a song originally known as "The Blues" appears to have been renamed "Street of Dreams."

Before "Chinese Democracy" hits stores, GNR's seminal 1987 debut, "Appetite for Destruction," will be reissued on vinyl on Oct. 28 via Interscope.

Here is the track list for "Chinese Democracy":

"Chinese Democracy"

"Scraped"

"Shackler's Revenge"

"Street Of Dreams"

"If The World"

"Better"

"This I Love"

"There Was A Time"

"Riad N' The Bedovins"

"Sorry"

"I.R.S."

"Catcher"

"Madagascar"

"Prostitute"

The only tune that's leaked that I've liked (and granted, they all might have been pretty rough demos anyway) was "The Blues," now "Street of Dreams."

It would take some pretty big changes to a lot of the cuts I've heard for me to be interested in this....

There's a curiosity factor in it for me. If not much has changed from the demos that leaked, it's certainly not an anticipated album imo.

The tracks I have heard sound like some sort of bad NIN impression. I just read some GNR book, and it seems that was Axl's idea even towards the end of the band, to make music in more of a Techno-Industrial mode. I have decided that my favorite Axl vocal is:

I've been walking the streets at night

Just trying to get it right

It's hard to see with so many around

You know I don't like being stuck in a crowd

And the streets don't change, but maybe the names

I ain't got time for the game

I would like to hear that song without the shitty background vocals.

do people really still care about this?

I like to think of it as morbid curiosity. I

The tracks I have heard sound like some sort of bad NIN impression.

Aping NIN might have seemed like a good idea in the mid-90s, but if that's where this record is still at after a decade of work......wow.

I dunno, it really does feel like forever ago that GnR was even remotely relevant to me and its not a musical period I look back on too fondly--even if there are a few songs that still hold up. I see these GnR "release date" announcements every so often and there's a trainwreck-curiosity about this record, but there is a less than zero percent chance of me buying this. Axl is probably better off to keep postponing this and keep this record "mythical".

edit:

"Madagascar" -- Is this the "I like to move it, move it" song? My kids love that one!

Wow' date=' it's happening: Axl Rose really might wind up putting out this thing. Very early this morning, the title track from the once thought never-to-be-completed opus was played on New York's Q104.3, and right now they're streaming it. I have to admit that I haven't followed each twist and turn of every leak, so I can't say for sure how this allegedly final version of the tune stacks up. The important thing is it's there for you to listen to and no one is going to jail for hosting it. Have at it. (via Idolator)[/quote']

Link to PFM page with stream:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/down...emocracy-stream

It's gotten to the point of... whatever. Probably won't buy it, but the song they're streaming is pretty good.