From The Wall Street Journal

Guns N' Roses' New Album Is Up Against a Chinese Wall

The Title Is a Problem for Authorities And Even for Some Shanghai Fans

SHANGHAI -- The heavy metal band Guns N' Roses is roiling China's music scene. But sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll aren't the issue. The trouble is the name of the group's latest album: "Chinese Democracy."

It has taken 17 years for the band to produce a new studio record. Now, even before it goes on sale Sunday, in a release heralded by its producers as a "historic moment in rock ' n' roll," the disc is getting the thumbs down from Chinese authorities. It's also causing anxiety among GN'R's legion of loyal fans here, who aren't sure they like what lead singer W. Axl Rose is trying to say about their country. China's government-owned music-importing monopoly has signaled that local record distributors shouldn't bother ordering the GN'R production. Anything with "democracy" in the name is "not going to work," said an official at the China National Publications Import & Export (Group) Corp., part of the Ministry of Culture.

For fans, the response is more complicated. GN'R developed a major following in China in the late 1980s, when the young Mr. Rose was recording early hit songs like "Welcome to the Jungle." China was in the throes of its own rebellious era, and heavy metal was its protest music. GN'R's popularity soared in the wake of the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators. Learning the band's 1991 ballad "Don't Cry" was a rite of passage for a generation of Chinese guitarists.

Chinese Democracy

"It was not only the music, the band's clothes also pushed the craze," says 30-year-old Chen Lei , one of Beijing's best-regarded rock guitarists, who cites GN'R as a primary influence.

GN'R nostalgia remains strong. A program on state-run China Central Television last year ranked "Qiang Hua" (literally, "Guns Flowers"), as the group is known in Chinese, at No. 8 on a list of top rock bands of all time. Chinese fans eager for news on the Web about the new album sidestep censors by using coded language. Many deliberately scramble the name, typing "Chinese Democraxy" or "Chi Dem." They say they fear that typing the Chinese characters for the title will draw government scrutiny. Still, it's not much challenge to find news about the record on the Web, where even the site http://www.chinesedemocracy.com is a discussion of GN'R, not politics. Some fans in China relish how the album discomfits the establishment. "Rock 'n' roll, as a weapon, is an invisible bomb," says one.

Leo Huang, a 25-year-old guitarist, just hopes it will retrace GN'R's roots. "I prefer rock 'n' roll," said the skinny 25-year-old guitarist after a recent gig with his band, the Wildcats, at a hard-rock bar below a Shanghai highway. Yet, for some fans in this nation of 2.6 billion ears, the new album's title is an irritation. Democracy is a touchy subject in this country. Elections are limited to votes for selected village-level officials, and senior leaders are all chosen in secret within the Communist Party. Many Chinese wish for greater say in their government. But others -- including some rockers -- think too much democracy too quickly could lead to chaos, and they resent foreign efforts to push the issue.

Mr. Chen, the guitarist, says the "Chinese Democracy" album title suggests "they don't understand China well" and are "just trying to stir up publicity." Some Chinese artists, loath to be branded as democracy campaigners, declined valuable offers to help illustrate the album. "I listened to their music when I was little," says Beijing visual artist Chen Zhuo . He was "very glad" when GN'R asked to buy rights to use his picture of Tiananmen Square rendered as an amusement park -- with Mao Zedong's head near a roller coaster. Then, Mr. Chen looked at lyrics of the album's title song and, after consulting with his lawyer and partner, declined the band's $18,000 offer. "We have to take political risks into account as artists in China," says the 30-year-old.

The new album's title track, already released as a single, begins with eerie, high-pitched noises that sound vaguely like chattering in Chinese. In the song's three verses, Mr. Rose sings of "missionaries," "visionaries" and "sitting in a Chinese stew."

The overall message is unclear, but his most provocative lines aren't. "Blame it on the Falun Gong. They've seen the end and you can't hold on now," Mr. Rose sings. It is a reference to the spiritual movement that Beijing has outlawed as an "illegal cult" and vowed to crush. Mr. Rose, 46, who is the only remaining original member of GN'R, is rarely interviewed and declined to comment for this article. He picked the new album's name more than a decade ago. In a 1999 television appearance, he discussed the thinking behind it.

"Well, there's a lot of Chinese democracy movements, and it's something that there's a lot of talk about, and it's something that will be nice to see. It could also just be like an ironic statement. I don't know, I just like the sound of it," Mr. Rose said.

Mr. Rose in recent years has visited Chinese cities including Beijing, Shanghai and Xian, and he worries he won't be let back in, says his assistant, Beta Lebeis. "Everything is so controlled," she says.

Chinese authorities in recent years have started letting once-controversial artists perform in the country, but they remain uncomfortable with hard rock. The Rolling Stones played their first China concerts in 2006, but only after bowing to government demands to drop certain songs, including "Brown Sugar," that were considered controversial. Fresh barriers went up after a Shanghai concert in March by the singer Bjork, who punctuated her song "Declare Independence" with shouts of "Tibet!" Officials thought it sounded like agitation against Beijing's rule of the restive Himalayan region. In new rules issued later, they threatened to hold promoters responsible for performers who violated its laws, "including situations that harm the sovereignty of the country."

One casualty: GN'R promoters in China dropped plans for two shows this year, says Ms. Lebeis. The Ministry of Culture forbids imports of music that violate any of 10 criteria, including music that publicizes "evil sects" or damages social morality. In reality, many songs make it into China anyway, pirated and via the Internet.

It's unclear how much exposure the new record will get. "I have to say, 'Chinese Democracy' sounds sensitive," says a Beijing radio station's programming chief who doubts it will get much air play. The title alone makes it "impossible" to imagine the album will be released in China, says Nicreve Lee , a student in northeastern China who runs a Web site called GN'R Online (http://www.gnronline.cn). He says his first reaction listening to the title track was, "This is an anti-China song." But, he says, "I gradually began to understand what the song wants to say. Perhaps Axl Rose doesn't know China well, but at least he is on the right track."

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone been able to get through to Dr. Pepper.com to get their free Dr. Pepper?

I can get the page to start loading (I see the Dr Pepper logo), but it never gets past the "Loading" stage.

edit: Try this direct link to the coupon page (you have to enter a bunch of info):

http://www.drpepper.com/freeDrPepper/?icamp=hp_dpfree_coupon

It tells you to allow 4-6 weeks for the coupon to arrive, and it will expire 2/28/09.

I can get the page to start loading (I see the Dr Pepper logo), but it never gets past the "Loading" stage.

edit: Try this direct link to the coupon page (you have to enter a bunch of info):

http://www.drpepper.com/freeDrPepper/?icamp=hp_dpfree_coupon

It tells you to allow 4-6 weeks for the coupon to arrive, and it will expire 2/28/09.

Their site is down now. I want me some free Dr. Pepper!

Wow, this sucker is finally out. Now I can continue to ignore it. It sounds dreadful.

LouieB

I heartily agree. I mean really, this took HOW many years to make? The mix and production are awful, and as for the songs themselves.......yikes.

I heartily agree. I mean really, this took HOW many years to make? The mix and production are awful, and as for the songs themselves.......yikes.
I suppose I am just curious enough that I would like to hear this train wreck for myself, but I am way too lazy to go to the stream.

LouieB

Their site is down now. I want me some free Dr. Pepper!

Keep trying. I kept hitting the Refresh button until the page loaded, and even then it took me a couple of attempts to get the coupon processed.

I can kinda envision me digging this album alone in my car. Don't tell anyone.

I listened to it by myself in the car and it's not terrible. The 2nd half of the album is actually kind of awesome.

The only song I can't listen to is the the 2nd one. It's pretty awful. And there's that one song with the line he sings like "Dracula" for no reason.

I haven't heard the official release yet, only the 9 song leak version, but for what it's worth*, it's not the train wreck I was expecting. I'm glad Dr. Pepper isn't going to wait 10 years to send me my coupon, just a matter of weeks!

* one free 20 oz Dr. Pepper

I was at Best Buy last night trying to find the Who Kilburn dvd (the kid working there was clueless) - anyhow, I noticed they had a giant display for Chinese Democray - 11.99 for the cd, and 19.99 for the vinyl.

I was at Best Buy last night trying to find the Who Kilburn dvd (the kid working there was clueless) - anyhow, I noticed they had a giant display for Chinese Democray - 11.99 for the cd, and 19.99 for the vinyl.

i was at BB last night too. that album was all over the place.

Gotta get the vinyl....NOT>...

LouieB

I was just trying to get out of there without yelling at the people working there. I hate having to go to such places to buy cds and dvds. At least I finally got the new Ryan Adams cd - it stinks also.

i was at BB last night too. that album was all over the place.
I would hope so. After all these years G&Rbetter make some money on this thing.

. At least I finally got the new Ryan Adams cd - it stinks also.
bummer....

Rosie played him on her show the other day and I swear I can never identify his songs, EVER. I like him well enough but he doesn't sound like anyone.

LouieB

This friend of mine was a bit confused about the Best Buy exclusive deal - he thought he would pick this album up at Walmart, so I had to explain it to him.

Most, if not all of the people I know, seldom, if ever buy music in any format. I think this deal works for those sort of folks - when they are in the store looking for something else, they will see that big display, and decide to grab the cd.

Ow!

I've been lookin' for a soda pop

Lookin' for a heart,

Lookin' for a soda pop in a world

That's much too dark

Because you don't want my love, no, no

You wanna sati-satisfaction

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, ow!

You don't need my love

You got to find yourself another

Another piece, another piece of the Action,

yeah, ow yeah, look out

Say where ya goin? What you gonna do?

I been lookin' everywhere said I,

I been lookin' for you

Because you don't want my love, no, no

You wanna sati-satisfaction

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah

You don't need my love

You got to find yourself another

Another piece, another piece

Of the action

You're crazy, hey, hey

You know you're crazy, oh my!

You're fuckin' crazy, oh child

You know you're crazy

Ay,ay,ay,ay,ay,ay,ah,ah,ah,ah, yeah!

Woh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah

Oh na,no,na,no,na,no,na,no,na,no,no,no

No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no

No,no,no, no, no, no, no,no,no,no,no,no

no,no,no! Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, Oh no, ow! -Woooh, yeah!

Say, boy, where ya comin' from?

Where'd ya get that point of view?

When I was younger

I knew a Dr. Pepper drinkin' Motherfucker like you,

and she said,

'You don't need my love,

You wanna sati-satisfaction,' Bitch

You don't need my love,

You've got to find yourself another

Another piece, another piece

Of the action

You're crazy, hey, hey

You know you're crazy, oh my!

You're fuckin' crazy, oh child

You know you're crazy, Ay, ay, ay, ay,

You know you're crazy, Hey, hey,

You're fuckin' crazy, Oh child,

You know you're crazy, Ay, ay, ay, ay,

You're fuckin' crazy, Yeah

You know you are!

Bring it down!

You're fuckin' crazy

Guns N' Roses Lawyer Blasts Dr Pepper

Axl Rose

November 26, 2008 06:01 PM ET

Andre Paine, London

The lawyer for Guns N' Roses and Axl Rose has castigated Dr Pepper, accusing the soda maker of failing to deliver on its promotion to offer free soda in celebration of the band's new album, "Chinese Democracy." Guns N' Roses was never involved in the campaign.

Beverly Hills-based Alan Gutman has written to Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. president and CEO Larry Young, accusing the company of operating an online redemption scheme that was an "unmitigated disaster which defrauded customers." Gutman is demanding that Dr Pepper makes good on its offer by extending the period for the offer; he also wants full-page apologies in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, USA Today and the Wall Street Journal.

Gutman's letter makes clear his view that the original campaign was an "exploitation of my clients' legendary reputation and their eagerly awaited album" and "brazenly violated our clients' rights." He is also seeking an "appropriate payment ... for the unauthorized use and abuse of their publicity and intellectual property rights," with the threat of further action if an acceptable offer is not made.

"Now is the time to clean up the mess," says Gutman.

Rose did not take any action when, in March, Dr Pepper put out a press release offering free soda to any American if the long-awaited Guns N' Roses album came out before the end of 2008. However, Rose has reacted to the news that fans have been unable to get their soda following the Nov. 23 release of "Chinese Democracy."

Dr Pepper's Web servers crashed under the demand for coupons that could be exchanged for free drinks. Dr Pepper extended the Nov. 23 promotion for an extra day, but the company's Web site was inaccessible for a substantial part of it. "Dr Pepper was completely unprepared for the traffic to its site," says Gutman in the letter, describing the promotion as a "complete fiasco."

Gutman adds: "The entire point of your campaign has been to use public interest in Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses as a lure to increase consumer awareness of Dr Pepper." He further states that "mocking undertones" in the online promotional content represent a "raw and damaging commercial exploitation of our clients' rights," adding that the association is "even more damaging in light of your shoddy execution of your disingenuous giveaway offer."

The soda maker declined to comment. Dr Pepper was considering extending the promotion, according to a source close to the situation.