Jeff Tweedy @ The Vic

Hey max! It's no collector's item or anything, but it was my personal copy of the final report from the "Bring Wilco to Fort Wayne" project which is attempting to bring the band to our fair city. If you want, you can read a pdf of that same report at here (click on "what we found 4-4-07"). For example: Next band at the Embassy? Stix. :dontgetit

I was designated to deliver Jeff and Sue's packet in person at the show if I could (and I did pass it on to Sue :thumbup ). Other copies have been sent to TMM Management and High Road Touring, and delivered by hand to Embassy Theatre management, Embassy board of directors, Downtown Improvement District, city council, etc. The guys behind this project are huge fans and are very persistent and determined to make change. It's really way overdue. We have to get these people out of the 1980's.

Edie let me take a look at that book. I was impressed with the intensity of the report. It's very convincing. With that kind of effort, I cant see how you wouldn't get the band to play there eventually. Good luck to everyone involved. I hope you succeed.

Really now.....Styx? My God, you've got to be kidding me. I cant find the vomit emotocon, so i'll just use this instead. :ohwell

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really now.....Styx? My God, you've got to be kidding me. I cant find the vomit emotocon, so i'll just use this instead. :ohwell

:lol Yes! A band I never liked, and apparently never cared enough to learn how to spell their name correctly.

Thanks for the nice compliments about the report, Aaron.

Two posts from you and no comment about the calls I made to you? One to your cell phone, one to your home phone. So did none of them connect? :ohwell

Oh for pete's sake!!!! :lol :lol :lol :rotfl

I just now realized that the music-blasting-background-but-nobody-on-the-phone last night wasn't our utterly annoying, space-cadet 14-yr-old neighbor girl, who often seems puzzled over simple things like how to operate a phone.....it was you!!!! I was on the phone saying, "Hello? Hello? I can hear you, can you hear me?" and thinking to myself, "Good Lord, Celene (neighbor girl), I am really too busy for this tonight...." :rolleyes ....I had been in the middle of trying to compose a very difficult letter to a dear friend so my mind was elsewhere!

It would have been somewhere around 7 pm, right? I should mention that our land line is all screwed up right now, ever since the last heavy rain....the line crackles so badly that it's pretty hard to make anything out. We're trying to get our darling phone company repair person out to fix it soon. In the meantime we've been leaning heavily on our cell phones. So, small wonder that all I heard was some crashing music!!! I had completely forgotten about the show, too, so it never even occurred to me that it could be you. But I am tickled pink, in retrospect, to know that I was there at the show with y'all, even if only briefly, even if only by a tenuous phone link, even if only while muttering, "Can you hear me?" into the noisy, crackly void. :thumbup

Thank you for your efforts, Wendy sweetest! :wub :cheekkiss Do you have any idea what song it was? Because I sure don't! :P

Do you have any idea what song it was?

:huh I think it was "Love and Mercy" but it might have been "When the Roses Bloom Again" because I did call twice, not sure which one you didn't hear. :lol

:huh I think it was "Love and Mercy" but it might have been "When the Roses Bloom Again" because I did call twice, not sure which one you didn't hear. :lol

You know, I'll bet it was Love and Mercy, because last night as I wrote that letter, I had that song inexplicably stuck in my head. So I guess on some level, my brain recognized it.

Excellent choices! :thumbup

Where I certainly appreciate all the die hards on this site and at the show last night, I am underwhelmed by the "gentleman's club" attitudes that seem to persist. I go to a Jeff Tweedy / Wilco show to have an enjoyable night, not to see how many rare/random songs he can play. And being that last night was a request show, and that the majority of people who stood in line all day are the die hards, I felt the show had too many "lets make him play a song that only 10 of us will enjoy" moments. (even though I am among those 10) Almost every song Jeff plays solo sounds different than on the albums. The AGIB trio of Hell is Chrome, Hummingbird, and Less than you think were amazing and different. I would have been fine with him just going through his mainstream catalog (aka the studio albums) and giving us different and interesting renditions. The sense of entitlement that "I am the biggest Wilco fan and I need to hear him play a YHF demo song" is a little bothersome. If you pay crazy money to have him play in your living room than you can request anything you want. But despite Jeff saying how he felt this should be just like a big living room show, it was not. It was a large venue with a lot of different types of fans.

I love all Wilco fans, but I guess I am just a little turned off by people thinking they are only cool, if they request a song that most normal fans do not know.

I doubt that those who requested "rare/random songs" did so just to be "cool". If people have a chance to request one of their favorite songs, regardless of how 'known' or 'popular' or 'mainstream' it is, then they should take advantage of that opportunity and do so. And it seems like many did take advantage of the amazing opportunity. I really doubt that people's requests were based on how 'cool' it would make them seem. I'm not attacking you, just putting in my two cents...

I doubt that those who requested "rare/random songs" did so just to be "cool". If people have a chance to request one of their favorite songs, regardless of how 'known' or 'popular' or 'mainstream' it is, then they should take advantage of that opportunity and do so. And it seems like many did take advantage of the amazing opportunity. I really doubt that people's requests were based on how 'cool' it would make them seem. I'm not attacking you, just putting in my two cents...

Nicely put. thanks for discussing this rationally, instead of with hotheaded putdowns as can so easily happen. Nice to see a differing point of view treated respectfully. :thumbup

This brings to mind my experience from the Tweedy show i saw at the Vic a couple of years ago. One of the songs Jeff played was "Dash 7." That song could easily fit the "obscure die-hard fan request" description. Before that show, "Dash 7" was one of those songs that i did not pay too much attention to. In fact, right after Jeff played it, there was kind of a muted reaction to it from most of the crowd. i remember he said something like "why aren't more people clapping for that song? I've gotten requests to play that song for the past ten years!" The funny thing is that since i heard him play it at that show, whenever i play AM, thats one of the songs that i appreciate and pay attention to. I certainly pay more attention to it than i did before. I guess the point i am trying to make is that i like it when i hear songs that i don't know. Sometimes it can open people up to things that they didn't appreciate before. I've never been one to quibble over set lists either way. I have to say that i did enjoy hearing "Hell Is Chrome, Hummingbird and Less Than You Think last night too. He hadn't played "Hell Is Chrome" In a long time either, if i remember correctly.

I love all Wilco fans, but I guess I am just a little turned off by people thinking they are only cool, if they request a song that most normal fans do not know.

Having been one of those "die hard" fans in line early, I didn't get the impression from those around me as we were talking to Sue and requesting songs that folks were trying to be cool by requesting obscure songs. maybe some did, but it didn't seem to be that way. people were looking at the list and asking "oooh is such and such on there" "what about..." and there was great joy and excitment as we came up with the different songs. i can't speak for everyone in line, but for me, you're standing there talking to jeff's wife and you've essentially been asked, if you could have jeff play one song for you, any song you want, what would it be." brain freeze. you lock up, what would that one song be. i can only imagine what it was like for the folks in the audience that jeff asked to change their requests. that was a pretty special thing.

i do see your side of it as far as hearing some of the staple songs that jeff usually plays. i've seen him several times now and it was a bit odd to not hear "theologians" or "i am trying to break your heart", but it also added that much more to the concert and made it something different, which i think was their intention. i'm not sure how many times you've seen jeff solo, but it does seem that he tries to play a little bit of everything from his musical past. this time around that little bit of everything was just slightly different.

then again, who wouldn't want to hear "pecan pie" :) thanks to the kind soul that requested that! when i made my request, i can't tell you how many songs raced through my head afterwards, "john wesley harding" was one of them so a big thanks for that one as well.

A certain trusty fellow has the complete setlist, and I'm sure he'll post it in the next day or so if nobody else has one. What a super show. I think lessthanIthink remembered most of the songs, but there was also "The Auld Triangle" (!)

I was thrilled to finally hear "Pot Kettle Black" again. And "Less Than You Think," of course. :) Oh, and I thought "You Are My Face" was terrific live. I can't wait to see it played with the full band. Also thoroughly enjoyed Jeff's "German interviewer" impressions. All of his impressions, actually.

I keep trying to think of new ways to say "Jeff and Susan are a couple of wonderful, generous people" but I guess that pretty much sums it up.

I concur with all of this! And Brianne it was great to see you again, and to meet PaulBop.

Who requested "The Good Part"? I have to buy you a drink. Thats solid. I very nearly requested it at the the living room show.

You can buy me a drink, but I think it's Jeff you owe. We got to sit in the front row (thanks to the kindness of Susan and the insistance of my younger son), and I can tell you, that song looked hard as hell to play and sing (which hadn't occurred to me before), but Jeff just sailed right through it. I was VERY happy to hear it!

I cannot believe I drove through a white-out blizzard for 2 of my 3-1/2 hours home tonight. :blink Freakish, I tell you, and not a lot of fun.

But it was a really fun night at The Vic (and afterwards at Clarke's too!)

Jeff commented on his own scholastic record as a kid. He admitted he hadn't been a great student, but recently he came across one of his own report cards, and it showed that he flunked creative writing. :lol

Wendy, it was great to see you again, and hang out at Clarke's after. Sorry about the whiteout. That sucks. I bet Jeff's Creative Writing Teachers always wished that he had written a piece like the one he did two years ago! :lol

I have to leave quickly now, but want to say how much fun this show was. Music and banter all first rate. Glad the cell-phone thingy worked out to my call-ees (never am sure if it'll sound any good or not). It was really great seeing everyone; would've hit Clarkes afterwards but we were both tired.

Also, Scott really enjoyed the show. Not sure if he is 100% converted or not, but would go up again. That's really how it starts, isn't it? :wub

Edie, dinner with you and Allison was fun, and tell Scott I really wanted to go see the art exhibit he told me about, but we opted for the Field Museum for the kids instead (sorry we didn't call you, Allison, but I really didn't want to wake you up... Hell, I didn't really want to be awake myself)! But I may come up there in the next month to hit the Institute. Maybe Scott could go with me?

Yes, the parts about being interviewed in Europe were HYSTERICAL. Jeff did this impersonation of some german guy who is very intellectual and analytical and says his questions in a way Jeff is not sure if it's a question or a statement. And the Spanish woman/interviewer who insists Jeff's songs are "sad, very very sad," and does great "facial olympics" after each of his answers.

Oh My God, that shit was so funny!!!! I wanted to tke pictures of those faces so bad, but my camera sucks, so I was glad to see Morgan captured it, along with dozens of other great pictures.

I'm still in awe about last night. Jeff and Sue went above and beyond for this event. Incredible.

The balcony was full almost to the top. With seats downstairs, I was torn. The front of the Vic's balcony is one of my favorite places to see music anywhere. I managed to recruit the legendary Lou B to sit up there. We were howling during some of the stage banter.

Hey LTIT, I had a nice time talking to you and Lou at Clarke's (and I can't remember your civilian name, I'm sorry, but I had been up for about twenty hours on 5 hours of sleep by the time I got to Clarke's, on top of a 6 hour drive with two teenage boys, so you'll have to refresh my memory).

And Lou, Just let us know when you wanna come down, and we'll show you a good time, and hopefully have time to hike in the Gorge that you helped save from becoming a dammed up lake. It's just about my favorite place!

Sounds like Stacy and I missed out on a great time.

I wish you'd been there, E.

Ok, where do i start? What a terrific show that was. I got to hear lots of songs that aren't usually played, including my personal request "You Are My Face," which is currently my favorite song on SBS. I really wasn't sure if he was going to play that one, but i am very pleased that i was there to witness the first public performance of such a great song and i am grateful to Jeff for playing it.

~Aaron

It was good to meet you Aaron. We'll have to talk about Lennon some more. I've got a bunch of old Beatles bootlegs around here somewhere. If I ever clean up my studio and find them, I'll let you know.

And thank you, Warner, your present got us halfway home! :cheers

Ahhh, the jealousy knows no bounds, but reading it here and experiencing it through all of your eyes (and cameras, very cool, Morgan! :thumbup ) is definitely the next best thing. Thank you for every description and happy moment shared. In my mind's eye, I was there.

Johnny, your poster turned out to be a masterwork. I want to climb right into it and relax in that fantastic treehouse. It's wonderful. :worship

You were there in spirit, Donna. And I'm still wearing your daughter's bracelet. Thanks everyone who had kind words about the poster. It was a labor of love. My art is fueled by music (almost literally), and for the past twelve years, Jeff Tweedy's music has come to occupy about 55-60% of my listening time. The music has to strike the right chords, or I just can't create. As I get older and crankier, I get pickier about what I listen to when I paint. Jeff covers all the bases more than any other single artist, and he makes you think, too. Nobody else's albums fight with you and reveal themselves so slowly, weep, lament, give up, ruminate, point fingers, explore, experiment, rock out, and have so much fun little hidden wordplay as do his and Wilco, as well as Loose Fur. Such good stuff. I was ecstatic to have a chance to help out with the school's cause (as I do a lot of free artwork and fundraiser stuff for my kids' schools and Boy Scouts, etc), and to be able to engage in a little artistic talking back to an artist who helps keep all of our minds a little more nimble than they would otherwise be. Thanks, Susan for letting me have the chance to do it.

p.s. It was my son Quinn who requested Hell Is Chrome. Jeff didn't announce it, so it probably didn't get on Paul's list, but that was great to hear.

Okay, obviously I'm still sleep deprived, so I should just stop posting rambles till I get a nap. But I can't wait for the new tour. See you in Indy!

That "Fort Wayne" Proposal Booklet is quite compelling. I hope it gets read by the "interim government" and passes on to the higher powers to be signed off on! Good luck, I hope to be there if it manifests. :dancing

John: very interesting to read what creative forces were at work in the making of that poster, thank you so much for sharing that..I keep looking at the leaves...I'm just crazy about their delicate intricacy.

Where I certainly appreciate all the die hards on this site and at the show last night, I am underwhelmed by the "gentleman's club" attitudes that seem to persist. I go to a Jeff Tweedy / Wilco show to have an enjoyable night, not to see how many rare/random songs he can play. And being that last night was a request show, and that the majority of people who stood in line all day are the die hards, I felt the show had too many "lets make him play a song that only 10 of us will enjoy" moments. (even though I am among those 10) Almost every song Jeff plays solo sounds different than on the albums. The AGIB trio of Hell is Chrome, Hummingbird, and Less than you think were amazing and different. I would have been fine with him just going through his mainstream catalog (aka the studio albums) and giving us different and interesting renditions. The sense of entitlement that "I am the biggest Wilco fan and I need to hear him play a YHF demo song" is a little bothersome. If you pay crazy money to have him play in your living room than you can request anything you want. But despite Jeff saying how he felt this should be just like a big living room show, it was not. It was a large venue with a lot of different types of fans.

I understand what youre saying. I am a fairly recent Wilco fan by the standards of people on this board. Ive been a fan for about 2-3 years now, but i do consider myself quite a dedicated fan none the less. I have all the cds and have listened to them countless times. My girlfriend even jokes that Jeff Tweedy is my "lover" because im so obsessed with his tunes. That being said there were many songs that i did not know that he played during the show. Probably because i am younger than the majority of the people i saw at the show so i dont have a long history of hearing these songs. I still thought the show was absolutely amazing. I enjoyed hearing some new songs but i do agree that i wish they had played more better known songs. This was my second time seeing Jeff solo. I would have liked to hear California Stars or Henry and the H Bombs, but i didnt mind IATTBYH and theologians being left off for a change. I really enjoyed The Good Part which was one of the songs i hadnt heard much of. This show was a good mix of older stuff and enough to satisfy the newer fans as well. I think Jeff did the best he could in that aspect. I cant complain with anything that was played, just wish he threw cali stars in there since ive never heard them play it.

You were there in spirit, Donna. And I'm still wearing your daughter's bracelet.

Hehe. I was wondering about this just last night. I'm still wearing mine (2) as well, Donna. :wub

So I guess I was that arrogant self-professed "biggest Wilco fan" who "needed to hear him play a YHF demo song." Just wanted to clear my good name and say that I was not being intentionally obscure with my song request, though I think most fans should understand that without me having to explain.

When the opportunity arose to request a song (any song!), a million choices ran through my head. By the time I got my chance, there were already a bunch of great songs on the list, so I went with "Venus Stop the Train." Could I have been more "mainstream"? Yes, of course! But this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance for me, and I wanted to hear one of my favorites that I'd never heard performed live before. At the time, I didn't think Jeff would be playing every request, so I didn't expect him to play mine anyway. I know "Venus" is more of a piano diddy and all, but I figured I'd throw it out there. It didn't hurt to try, right?

In my own defense, one should go to a Jeff solo show expecting to hear some rarities because, well, it isn't a Wilco show, folks! I didn't know every single song that was played, but I still enjoyed them all.

Anyway, I'm trying not to be personally offended about this. I just wanted to say that I wasn't trying to come off as pretentious or any such thing. I just wanted to hear a nice song.. :ohwell

So I guess I was that arrogant self-professed "biggest Wilco fan" who "needed to hear him play a YHF demo song." Just wanted to clear my good name and say that I was not being intentionally obscure with my song request, though I think most fans should understand that without me having to explain.

When the opportunity arose to request a song (any song!), a million choices ran through my head. By the time I got my chance, there were already a bunch of great songs on the list, so I went with "Venus Stop the Train." Could I have been more "mainstream"? Yes, of course! But this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance for me, and I wanted to hear one of my favorites that I'd never heard performed live before. At the time, I didn't think Jeff would be playing every request, so I didn't expect him to play mine anyway. I know "Venus" is more of a piano diddy and all, but I figured I'd throw it out there. It didn't hurt to try, right?

In my own defense, one should go to a Jeff solo show expecting to hear some rarities because, well, it isn't a Wilco show, folks! I didn't know every single song that was played, but I still enjoyed them all.

Anyway, I'm trying not to be personally offended about this. I just wanted to say that I wasn't trying to come off as pretentious or any such thing. I just wanted to hear a nice song.. :ohwell

Ah, I would have loved to hear this. Weird, my best friend was hoping for it too. I can't remember, what song did you end up requesting?

Well, I tried to request "Far Far Away" (that's a little less obscure, right? :) ), but I'm a pretty soft-spoken gal and Jeff couldn't hear me. Those around me, who were much louder than I, were screaming for "Airline to Heaven," so that's what we got in the end. Works for me, I think it's a great song too.

lol i knew that's the song it was. once you said demo's it made sense. can't really blame you for trying! airline was a good second choice.

edit: or far far away

Hey LTIT, I had a nice time talking to you and Lou at Clarke's (and I can't remember your civilian name, I'm sorry, but I had been up for about twenty hours on 5 hours of sleep by the time I got to Clarke's, on top of a 6 hour drive with two teenage boys, so you'll have to refresh my memory).

The civilians call me David. It was great to meet you. I had a blast Friday night. Hopefully, see you in Indy?

John: very interesting to read what creative forces were at work in the making of that poster, thank you so much for sharing that..I keep looking at the leaves...I'm just crazy about their delicate intricacy.

Thank you. A lot of it was Photoshopped.

Here's the original pencil drawing.

The civilians call me David. It was great to meet you. I had a blast Friday night. Hopefully, see you in Indy?

Unless I'm out dragging my kids through the desert, I'll be there! :cheers

By the time I got my chance, there were already a bunch of great songs on the list, so I went with "Venus Stop the Train." I just wanted to hear a nice song.. :ohwell

I guess Jeff isn't playing it at all these days; it was requested at one of the LR shows and was not played there either. Maybe next time he plays solo here he'll play far, far away instead :)