1st Album/1st Concert

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ist Concert ~ Stills/Young Band w/Poco @ Colt Park, Hartford, Ct. July 11, 1976.

1st album I bought with my own money was Harvest. All I ever spent my allowance on was LPs. I think I was 14. My sister had brought Everybody Knows & Goldrush into the house. I took over from there. God bless my older sister!

I just gotta say being a teen in the 70's was the f*****g best. I would choose no other decade to grow up in. I hope everyone feels that way about the time they grew up. B)

My first concert was the Beach Boys at the Wisconsin State Fair, in 1988 I believe. I was 8.

First real concert I went to without the family was U2 at Soldier Field, 1997.

The first album I bought for myself (on a trip to the mall with no parents!) was Wilson Phillips' self-titled album, on CD. 1990. Hmmm, the Wilson family played a prominent part in my early musical experiences.

I just gotta say being a teen in the 70's was the f*****g best. I would choose no other decade to grow up in. I hope everyone feels that way about the time they grew up. B)

:cheers I concur, Harpoon! It really was the best decade to grow up in, because we didn't have to suffer the indignities of being a 'longhair' like some of those who grew up in the 60's did ( hi Lou :lol ), and we didn't have to deal with the 'just say no' zealots like my wife & others her age did (she's 38). Truly, nobody gave a damn about hair, pot smoke, etc...

..But I digress... what was the question? :stunned Oh yeah... first records : either Stones--High Tides & Green Grass, or Byrds--5th Dimension. Obviously, my parents bought those for me. I also had a very cool cousin, 9 years older than me, who was always turning me on to cool shit. I must have been the only kid in second grade to have Zeppelin's first 2 LPs when they came out!

First LP bought w/ my paper route$$ ? Probably "Sabotage" (Sabbath) or the 1st Kiss LP. First show: 8th grade--Kiss/Bob Seger, 8/2/76.

I hope everyone feels that way about the time they grew up. B)

oh yeah...growing up in the 90s was a blast! :rolleyes I got teased to no end for listening to Radiohead, while my 'friends' were dancing away to NSYNC and Miss Spears. :barf

1st album - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

(got my ears pierced and bought a paper dress -- was my bday ...

1st concert was @ Hunter College Auditorium -- Opening Act: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Middle Act: Fleetwood Mac (though I might have dreamed that) - headliner JM & The Doors ...

age has some benefits

thanks for triggering the memories ....

> hope everyone feels that way about the time they grew up

being a teen the start of the 90s: you get into the grunge scene - you grow out of it - you're friends think you're gay - you discover pop music again - you then discover real music from times before - you start listening to rock music of all times - you stumble across mermaid avenue - you like that california stars song - you become a wilo fan

yeah, and you hear a song that was incredible it's first incarnation .... I Shall Be Released .... and 20 (?) years later Jeff Tweedy's tender but raw and scarred vocals are startling ... no, exquisite. I love the continuum!

First physical CD album I bought with my own money was Incesticide by Nirvana - 1992?

First concert was REM at Huddersfield Stadium in 1995.

How's about this for cool...

My first gig was Level 42 at the Newport Center in Newport, Wales... nice.

Next proper gig was Pink Floyd at Earls Court in London though which has always stuck with me. Amazing show.

First CD - Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells II. Nice... I think my parents might have bought me a couple of records previous to that... I remember being Jean Michel Jarre's Concert In China on double vinyl as well... though whether that predates TBII I don't know. I used to love instrumental music and synthesisers...

I can remember asking for, and being given, "So" by Peter Gabriel at christmas when I was six - I am sure that was due to the video for Sledgehammer. But, I think the first cassette i actually bought myself (not record, or cd - yeah, i was cheap) was "Bullet From A Gun" by Derek B - I used to go to my friends garage and play it whilst learning karate moves on his brothers punchbag.

First gig was Iron Maiden at Wembley Arena. "Rock on Tommy!"

The first album I ever bought with my own money was Blink 182's Take Off Your Pants And Jacket. Still like that one...

The first album I ever remember being obsessed with was Green Day's Dookie. Still one of my favorites.

First concert was Crosby, Stills and Nash. First concert I remember was Paul McCartney. 3rd row center. Linda waved at me.

I have no idea what my first album purchase was with my own money. My parents had bought me a few things over the years, and I listened to a lot of stuff from my older brother's collection, but my own first purchase probably came in about 1979. Consequently, it may have been something I wouldn't be real proud to mention now. The first album I definitely remember buying with my own money (though I strongly doubt it was my first-ever purchase) was Journey's Escape in 1981.

My parents never took us to "rock" concerts, but I grew up going to bluegrass, folk, and other stuff on occasion. Mostly local or regional acts, though. Probably the biggest name I saw in my earlier childhood was the Red Clay Ramblers.

My first rock concert was Robert Plant in Kalamazoo. He played a couple of warm-up shows for his first post-Zeppelin tour, and the show at Wings Stadium was the second of those. It didn't even appear on the official tour schedule. No opener, and Phil Collins was on drums. I was in the front row with a friend.

First album: Saturday Night Fever soundtrack (split the cost with my sisters)

First album of my very own: probably ELO's Out of the Blue

First Conert: Jerry Garcia Band, July 1980 (Certainly one of the best things about the show was hearing Tangled Up in Blue. I bought Blood on the Tracks the very next day.)

I remember the first 45 I bought was ABBA ~ Winner Takes It All...the first cassette I bought with my own money was probably Rick Springfield ~ Working Class Dog or Duran Duran ~ Rio.

I went to several concerts with my parents growing up, mostly along the lines of John Denver, Beach Boys, Crystal Gale, and Air Supply type things. :) But the first one I probably paid to see was Joan Jett and Loverboy.

My first records were singles. I distinctly remember buying I Think I Love You by the Partridge Family and War by Edwin Starr on the same day.

I'm a little more foggy on the first concert but I think it was T Rex opening for 3 Dog Night. I remember very well Marc Bolan exciting "a riot" and my parents seeing it on television.

I think the first 45 I owned was "Disco Duck". First album I purchased all by myself was REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity, in 4th or 5th grade.

First real show was Dio/Yngwie Malmsteen. I saw the Beach Boys on the Mall in the DC a couple years before that, but it was with my parents. I did drink a full beer though, and inhaled a lot of second-hand pot smoke, so maybe that should count afterall.

Concert - Eagles at Exhibition stadium in like 1977.

That's not what I would have expected. In my fan fiction version, I'm going to make The Skulls/Subhumans/DOA your first show.

Marshall Tucker, James Taylor or Linda Ronstadt

I can't believe I'm your e-friend.

Concert - Eagles at Exhibition stadium in like 1977. Also first date in Grade 8. His whole family came with us...

I was at that show and it was also a date.

In answer to the inevitable next questions, I was not in grade 8 and my family didn't come.