(P)review of "Sky Blue Sky"

Great reading. :yes Thanks a lot for posting this.

The only thing that confuses me is the part about the 2 minute mark:

"You Are My Face" in particular becomes a stronger song around the two-minute mark when Cline lets it rip and the band all chime in strongly before fading down a minute later, echoing the crest and fall of Television's "Marquee Moon," a Tweedy favorite.

Do you mean the 3 minute mark, or the really cool guitar solo around 1:30 - which I'm pretty convinced is Tweedy.

There have been few artists to both challenge and soothe their listeners in the ways that Tweedy has over Wilco's twelve years and there is no doubt that he will continue to do so for many more.

That is a fantastic description. Thanks for putting that feeling to words.

:cheers

The only thing that confuses me is the part about the 2 minute mark:

"You Are My Face" in particular becomes a stronger song around the two-minute mark when Cline lets it rip and the band all chime in strongly before fading down a minute later, echoing the crest and fall of Television's "Marquee Moon," a Tweedy favorite.

Do you mean the 3 minute mark, or the really cool guitar solo around 1:30 - which I'm pretty convinced is Tweedy.

And if a Marquee Moon reference is going to be tossed around, it should probably be used towards Jeff and Pat's guitar line in the I.G. breakout

Great job. Finally, a reviewer that knows what they are talking about (though the guitar solo "You Are My Face" I believe is Tweedy). Moreover, amazing job at backing at your arguments: most critics are just too plain.

I keep wanting to phrase this so I'm not insulting anyone, so please no one take offense to this because I don't mean any, but how does anyone know for sure who is playing what specifically re: guitar parts?

And if a Marquee Moon reference is going to be tossed around, it should probably be used towards Jeff and Pat's guitar line in the I.G. breakout

I was specifically referring to the crescendo and twinkling piano/guitar bit of it. Marquee Moon falls out in a similar fashion. The guitar "duel" in that song you mention is close to that as well, I would agree with you.

Yes. around 1:30 is accurate...I noticed I was wrong on this part today while listening to the album again...I'll be amending that.

and for all of the nice comments and positive feedback (all of the postings would fall under these two categories), I really want to say thank you. Thanks also just for reading it.

how does anyone know for sure who is playing what specifically re: guitar parts?

for me it's a combination of having playing acoustic and electric guitars (and pedals) for many, many years, and having seen and listened to many, many shows. There is a wealth of folks around here that are much better than I at such things, I only offer that as one person's point of view. Jeff and Nels' tones seem readily distinguishable to me. And Pat puts some great notes in there at times as well. Jeff has a very distinctive style of playing, (as does Nels, to be fair) which is one of the many things that springs my admiration for him.

for me it's a combination of having playing acoustic and electric guitars (and pedals) for many, many years, and having seen and listened to many, many shows. There is a wealth of folks around here that are much better than I at such things, I only offer that as one person's point of view. Jeff and Nels' tones seem readily distinguishable to me. And Pat puts some great notes in there at times as well. Jeff has a very distinctive style of playing, (as does Nels, to be fair) which is one of the many things that springs my admiration for him.

Same here. But if it make anybody feel any better I have no idea what Pat's contributions to this album are. But it's pretty obvious to me what Tweedy and Nels are doing. Probably because they have such distinct guitar styles. I have been (to borrow John's phrase) "over the moon" about Tweedy's guitar playing since AGIB.

My ear for such things isn't nearly as developed as some people's here, I'm afraid. I know that there are specific parts that can't be anyone but Nels, but the intermingling of he and Jeff is harder to distinguish for me. Thank you all for the input.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the album's coming out, I figured I'd bump this thread so that those who haven't seen it before can now. A full review with a star rating will be appearing this week.