Wilco webcast from Sydney!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also saw Paul Dempsey from Something For Kate and Tim Freedman from The Whitlams at the gig.

I didn't see Paul Dempsey during the gig, but I did see him in an Indian restaurant up the road beforehand. :)

Also saw Chris Taylor there as DrunkFly mentioned. Also spotted Mark Elberg from Huckleberry Swedes and David Michod, filmmaker and editor of Inside Film magazine.

Peter Fenton from Crow was also there.

I didn't see Paul Dempsey during the gig, but I did see him in an Indian restaurant up the road beforehand. :)

Also saw Chris Taylor there as DrunkFly mentioned. Also spotted Mark Elberg from Huckleberry Swedes and David Michod, filmmaker and editor of Inside Film magazine.

I was there and it was a fucking amazing show. I hope someone recorded the webcast!

I've posted what I think is an accurate setlist in the 'After The Shows' section, though HighFives' was pretty spot on.

Wilco, you are a bunch of geniuses.

my god, only FOUR new songs out of 24? That's ridiculous... seems like the guys like the new record about as much as I do...

my god, only FOUR new songs out of 24? That's ridiculous... seems like the guys like the new record about as much as I do...

You're forgetting that the new album isn't out for another three weeks. They'll incorporate more songs from it once it's in people's hands.

And yes, most of us on this board have copies of it by now, obtained by whatever means, but as an artist, I think you have to assume that most of the crowd at your shows haven't heard the record before its release date. Sprinkle in a few new songs, but don't overwhelm people with stuff they don't know.

honestly i think theyre still working the kinks out of some of the songs live

honestly i think theyre still working the kinks out of some of the songs live

Yeah, and I think they've played everything on the record except Leave Me Like You Found Me and Be Patient With Me (which Tweedy has done solo) at least once now. The new stuff will be worked in soon, they're not just going to keep going with the Ghost/YHF heavy set list forever, though sometimes it seems that way :stunned. But they continue to play the hell out of all of those songs so it's not like the gigs are getting too boring.

--Mike

You're forgetting that the new album isn't out for another three weeks. They'll incorporate more songs from it once it's in people's hands.

And yes, most of us on this board have copies of it by now, obtained by whatever means, but as an artist, I think you have to assume that most of the crowd at your shows haven't heard the record before its release date. Sprinkle in a few new songs, but don't overwhelm people with stuff they don't know.

I was under the impression that that's not how they treated YHF and AGIB at shows before they were "officially" released... Wilco have a history now of making their albums available online before they release them, and I'm pretty sure the band knows by now that most folk at their concerts arent exactly there for the first time...

I'm confident youre right, but I am a little nervous as minus 4 songs on that set I've seen that show 5 times already, and am hoping for something different this go around...

also, they haven't been to Australia in over 4 years. I think they wanted to give the fans a little bit of everything.

Well, the album hasn't been "officially" released, so I think we can assume we'll see a few more SBS songs after the release.

a few of us were at the pub down the street and we spotted pat, mikael and john going into the thai restaurant across the road

Plus Australia doesn't have the internet yet so they haven't possibly heard the new album.

there were quite a few people singing along with the very new stuff (like hate it here and side with seeds, as opposed to walken, ect

a few of us were at the pub down the street and we spotted pat, mikael and john going into the thai restaurant across the road

D'oh! We almost ate at that restuarant but went to the Duke instead. They were playing Summerteeth when we walked in, though.

Chris Taylor, of The Chaser fame, was in the crowd last night.

I thought he might be. He must be a pretty big fan because he programmed a Wilco mix tape on JJJ a year or two ago. They play all songs from one chosen artist for an hour straight. Not only is he a very funny and clever man, but he has great taste in music too.

I had no idea this was going down. Thank god there was free wifi at the BBQ competition and someone just happened to check out Wilcoweb around 5am. My team, Ulika, got to rock out to the whole set as our brisket, ribs, butts, and chicken slow smoked to perfection.

Wilco and Ulika BBQ... You don't need one to enjoy the other, but they make a great couple.