Sydney - 21st April

Hi guys, first post!

Wow. What an incredible show that was. A lot of you would have listened to the webcast so you already know this. Can't wait to get my hands on a recording!

It's almost 3am here so I'm a bit buggered and might hit the sack. Looking forward to discussing it tomorrow. :)

Setlist:

Your Are My Face

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Muzzle of Bees

Handshake Drugs

A Shot In The Arm

At Least That's What You Said

One By One

Impossible Germany

Jesus Etc.

War on War

Via Chicago

Walkin

Theologians

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

Encore 1

Hate It Here

The Late Greats

Kingpin

I'm a Wheel

Encore 2

Misunderstood

California Stars

Airline to Heaven

Poor Places

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the board Dan! :cheers Don't be a stranger here. Glad you had a great time!

just back from the enmore, too.

a transcendant show; they were loving it up there.

and i have a mental picture i'll carry with me for a long, long time:

theologians. jeff tweedy, clenched fist raised high in the air, singing "a ghost is born, a ghost is born", triumphant.

many, many jaw-droppingly great moments, but that was the one for me.

onya, mate.

and if *anyone* could pm me a link to a recording of the stream, i'd be eternally grateful - despite a list of instructions, my slightly technologically-challenged dad didn't quite manage to grab it.

That show was so great, stoked I got to go. I was not going to be in Sydney due to other commitments, so happy I was able to get out of them and get to the gig!

A big thank you goes out to wilco as well for putting on such an amazing show, I'd been waiting sooooo long for this. :worship :worship :worship

My God, how long I have been waiting for this show. The Enmore was packed. Had front row balcony seats. Perfect place to watch the band. Here's a quick rundown.

Your Are My Face

Beautiful way to start the show. Haven't heard anything from the new album so to hear this gorgeous gentle song as an opener set the scene perfectly. The crowd was so reverent yet noisy in all the right places (a rarity for Sydney audiences who sometimes have a reputation for being a little docile).

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

On fire. I never tire of hearing this song. They couldn't have played it any better.

Muzzle of Bees

I was waiting for this one. I always get excited about Nels' solos at the end and tonight was no exception. My son asked, "Why was that guitar player having seizures on stage?" Received a huge cheer at the end.

Handshake Drugs

Sublime. Drone at the end sent chills up my spine

A Shot In The Arm

Never been one of my favourite Wilco songs but tonight blew me away in any case. Jeff screaming at the end. Perfect.

At Least That's What You Said

Holy shit. One of my ultimate Wilco songs. It struck me during this song that the sound last night was phenomenal. Perfect levels everwhere. A lot of recordings I have do not do justice to John's bass. This one had my rib cage pounding courtesy of Mr Stirrat.

One By One

My favourite Mermaid Ave song. Could not have asked for a better choice.

Impossible Germany

A great rocker. I love the big orange guitar Jeff uses. A friend of mine said it reminded him of 'China Cat Sunflower'. Smiles all round during this song.

Jesus Etc.

Aaahhh. Took some video of this one. Hopefully work out how to get it on YouTube. Crowd singalong, big smiles on Jeff's face. Audience lapping it all up. "Our love is all of God's money..."

War on War

Didn't think I was gonna hear this one. For some reason I always think of Leroy when I do.

Via Chicago

Jawdroppingly beautiful. The noise parts were sublime and then everything falls away to Jeff thumb strumming quietly. "Searching for a home..." I could have been in Tweedy's loungeroom, so clear was the sound.

Walkin

Not my favourite of the new songs. But still irrepressibly foot tappin'. Gotta love it.

Theologians

Absolutely damn straight. Jeff punching the air and screaming "A ghost is born!" The goosebumps on my arm couldn't have been bigger, spine absolutely rattled.

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Glenn must lose several kilos during every Wilco show. I don't think I've seen a more physical drummer. Man, he just doesn't stop! That Kotche grimace will be on my mind for a long time!

Hummingbird

Ha! Guitarless, the Jonathan Richman drumming at the end! Nice.

Hate It Here

First time I've heard this song so I can't remember it so well. Jeff told us not to take offence at the title. :)

The Late Greats

Another one I was hoping for and they delivered. Watching Pat Sansone the whole time on acoustic waiting for that great little strum he does near the end of the song. Wonderful.

Kingpin

Ha! Lots of talk about Australia being settled by pirates, Jeff not knowing his geography being American and such. Is this where Froggie got a mention? Nice work, Mende! :)

I'm a Wheel

I was hoping for this when I saw Pat strap on the Tele again. His Townsendesque windmills are compulsive viewing

Misunderstood

This was it for me. Absolute highlight. Funny how the intro sounds a little like IATTBYH. Was a little lost when I didn't realise what they were playing. Then it began. Absolute reverence from the audience. And then..."I know you've got a God shaped hole..." Jeff screaming it out like those shows in 99. It was too good. No band should be this fucking great. But they are.

California Stars

Beautiful follow up. Sunny, feel-good, sweet and tender.

Airline to Heaven

Somewhere around here Jeff made a comment to the effect that he just wanted to keep playing more songs if that was OK. Absolutely.

Poor Places

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

What a way to finish. I loved the way Spiders emerged from the beautiful ashes that Poor Places descends into. The look on Jeff's face as the crowd roared at him was one, I think, of genuine delight.

I'm sure I'll make more comments as they occur to me but that's it for the moment. Took a heap of photos and will post when I work out how to do it.

Sublime night. Looking forward to seeking out the recording. If it sounded half as good on the webcast as it did in the venue last night, you'll know what I'm talking about here.

just back from the enmore, too.

a transcendant show; they were loving it up there.

and i have a mental picture i'll carry with me for a long, long time:

theologians. jeff tweedy, clenched fist raised high in the air, singing "a ghost is born, a ghost is born", triumphant.

many, many jaw-droppingly great moments, but that was the one for me.

onya, mate.

and if *anyone* could pm me a link to a recording of the stream, i'd be eternally grateful - despite a list of instructions, my slightly technologically-challenged dad didn't quite manage to grab it.

A huge welcome to the board to all the Aussies who are new here! :pirate :cheers

I love that mental picture, and in fact as that line came up, I flashed on previous concerts & Jeff raising his fist at thatpoint, and I was so caught up in my computer concert that I raised my fist and punched it in the air right along with him, across all the miles around the world.... :yes

......earning me a "boy my mom is a dork" look (but also a grin) from my kiddo. :blush

I'm sure a recording is going to emerge...looks like the Col. got it.....

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?sho...7989&st=200

4th post down.

Fritz, fabulous review & very nice pics! I love the energy of the last one....puts me right there at the show!

Hi, first post

First time I have properly seen Wilco (have seen them at festivals)

WOW, what a night, one of the best shows I have ever been to.

Dantheman, Misunderstood was definitely the first song of the second encore and

I nearly fainted when they played it.

Fritz, great review, you really nailed it on every song.

Shot in the Arm is one of favourite Wilco songs so I was ecstatic when they played it.

I was hoping they would play Sunken Treasure, but they don't seem to make

that a regular anymore.

And yeah Via Chicago was amazing as was basically everything.

I loved the Sky Blue Sky songs too.

I have a review of my night here-

http://oceansneverlisten.blogspot.com/

My first post too.

Bits I loved: "Misunderstood" - because I love the facial expressions that accompany the nothings, "Hate it here" - which is still stuck in my head (I love that Sue refers to it as the liar song because Jeff apparently doesn't know how to use the washing machine), the bit where you could really feel the bass guitar, "Poor Places", and lots of other little things that I can't articulate.

Wow! What a great show! PeskyWife, who is only somewhat a fan, said it was the best show she has ever seen. (However her taste is questionable since she married me).

Spiders was stunning and a great way to end the evening.

Can't wait for the Latitude Festival in July.

i'm going through my photos now.. will try and post in the next day or so. video of hummingbird dance coming up in half an hour..

hey andrew, why did you snob us off for? :lol

thanks for the detailed review... from memory jeff called Hate it here "the domestic song"

Dantheman, Misunderstood was definitely the first song of the second encore and I nearly fainted when they played it.

Thanks wayne, noted and edited.

Was definitely a highlight of the night, and highly anticipated. There were a bunch of guys near me who were shouting requests for it all night.

Yeah, I was just bursting with excitement when they played Misunderstood. That second encore

was as pure and great as music gets. Poor Places>Spiders, what a way to end the show.

I think my favourite new song is Shake it Off so I wouldn't have mind hearing that. And deep

down I was hoping they might squeeze in She's A Jar.

But I can't complain, what a night!

Congratulations Sydney on being responsive and respectful. Isn't it great when an audience

pays attention to the band and doesn't talk all the way through.

Sydney crowd sings along to Jesus Etc. Pure joy.

:wub I was still listening to the webcast at that point, almost making me late to my morning class.

The album version of that song may never be topped for me, but it's so good live these days. :)

Where will the aforementioned (by Col.) of this webcast appear when it is posted? Somewhere on this site, or on one of the hundreds of bit torrent sites out there?

My first Wilco show, and so incredible.

Must have a recording of it!

Cheers.

Where will the aforementioned (by Col.) of this webcast appear when it is posted? Somewhere on this site, or on one of the hundreds of bit torrent sites out there?

My first Wilco show, and so incredible.

Must have a recording of it!

Cheers.

I have not decided as of yet, but i'll probably put it up on bt.etree. The other sites have pretty strict rules on torrenting webcasts(maybe etree does too? i dont know). I plan to have it ready to seed tomorrow at the latest, and when i put it up, i'll post a link to it here.

Does etree allow webcast torrents? If not, who does? Does anybody know? It's reasons like these why i miss the VC Tracker. I could post Wilco webcasts there without the fear of having my ip address banned.

Finally back home. Sydney show definitely made the trip to Australia worth it. What a way to end the trip. I guess I'm just one of those people who have nothing better to do than follow a rock band round... ;)

Here's a few of my photos. They're not very good, but thought I'd share anyway. Note to self: quicker shutter speed when not using flash!

Jeff

Jeff John Pat

Jeff again

Nels

More Jeff

And here's a few (very short) videos. One of the security guards seemed pretty good at knowing when you were holding your camera up for too long to simply be framing a shot...

Short clip of I'm The Man Who Loves You

V short bit of the Kingpin banter - 'Ears bleed'

PS - So glad the Hummingbird dance/run got caught on video, thanks!