anyone got one of these, i desperately need an overdrive pedal of some sort..just a nice crunchy pedal

i know Ryan adams uses a blues driver with a holy grail (which im already using) and i love his tone so i'm looking into these or the Nano Muff Overdrive

I had one many years ago -- I recall it as sort of a poor man's tube screamer. Not a bad pedal, though. Still, I'd recommend getting a tube screamer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd look around for a TS clone before I'd buy either the Boss BD or a newer TS-9 or rediculously overpriced new TS-808. If a shop in your area carries MI Audio effects check out their Blues Pro (has a built in fuzz option switchable by a mini toggle) or Blues Boy Deluxe, for just over $100 these are great boxes. The best TS clone I've ever tried is the MJM Blues Devil, all of MJM's stuff is freakin' great.

I'd look around for a TS clone before I'd buy either the Boss BD or a newer TS-9 or rediculously overpriced new TS-808. If a shop in your area carries MI Audio effects check out their Blues Pro (has a built in fuzz option switchable by a mini toggle) or Blues Boy Deluxe, for just over $100 these are great boxes. The best TS clone I've ever tried is the MJM Blues Devil, all of MJM's stuff is freakin' great.

Another money-saving option, if you're electronically inclined, is to get hold of an older, cheaper TS-9 and mod it to the TS-808 specifications. There are plenty of sites out there that can help you with this. I tried this a few years ago, but I am not very talented with a soldering iron. I fried the damn thing. Still, if you have any skill in this area (I don't), you should be able to make the mod fairly easily. Of course, if you are proficient in such tinkering and have a great deal of free time, you could get a kit and make your own and get the exact sound for which you are looking. I've always thought that would be a pretty cool way to go. I'd also love to build my own guitar some day as well, but, as mentioned before, I lack the requisite skills.

Finally (although this would defeat the budget issue), I've had some success with digital pedal modelers (if you run them through a good tube amp, they can sound pretty good and offer a wide variety of sounds), though I still often just go with the tube screamer.

I'm rocking a voodoo labs Sparkle Drive-- original TS8 specs with a mixing mechanism-- blending the two makes from some really really great tones, lots of crunch without losing your guitar. Or, you just crank it completely and blow the doors off your house. Either way, I couldn't be happier with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Boss DS-1 and then boost the signal with a MXR Micro Amp. It, surprisingly, works beautifully - total cost about $90. Turning up the bass a little helps temper the DS-1 a bit. I've completely stopped using my TS.

I use a Boss DS-1 and then boost the signal with a MXR Micro Amp. It, surprisingly, works beautifully - total cost about $90. Turning up the bass a little helps temper the DS-1 a bit. I've completely stopped using my TS.

That's a great idea, I was considering selling the DS-1 but I'll give this a shot first.