Unheard Beatles "last great song"

Unheard Beatles "last great song" set for release

London | April 30, 2007 12:11:20 PM IST

The surviving members of the Beatles are set to release a never-before-heard new single.

The track, called Now and Then, is based on a John Lennon recording, given to Sir Paul McCartney by Lennon's widow Yoko Ono in 1994 as part of their Anthology project.

According to friends this may now be the "one last great song" that McCartney has been waiting for since he recommenced touring and working in 1989.

"Paul was asked in the early Nineties when he started touring again, why he was doing it. They said that he was rich, he didn't need this. But Paul said that he felt he had one great song left in him. He's always been the most uncannily intuitive person and it looks like that song has finally arrived," the Daily Express quoted ELO musician Jeff Lynne, who produced the sessions, as saying.

Archive tracks from George Harrison will also be merged with the new song, along with vocals from McCartney and drumming from Ringo Starr.

The iconic band is likely to redeem hundreds of millions of pounds in new marketing campaigns around the first release of Beatles digital downloads.

But the new song will be surprise package for their existing fans as well as the new generation of music lovers.

Lynne also said that the best thing about the song was that it brought back a lot of memories.

"The best thing about it all was to work with John again. Hearing him in the headphones, it was like he was in the next room. It's like an impossible dream," he said.

According to sources, McCartney has reverted to the drawing board and will conclude the song the way he and John always worked, making it a suitable Lennon-McCartney masterpiece.

Along with the new track, McCartney will also release a new album, Memory Almost Full, in June, which will coincide with the 40th anniversary of The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. (ANI)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember sometime before Anthology 3 came out that it would be considered to release a new song on there as well, but then they decided not to at the last minute. I seem to remember the surviving Beatles at that time saying that they didn't release another new song because they felt they had said all they had to say music-wise, or something to that effect. Instead, we got an instrumental introduction on Anthology 3 that had never been released. I'm wondering if this new track is the final one that was supposed to be released back in '96.

I know - but that was the actual title. It's really just another Jeff Lynne overproduced song from the anthology sessions.

Overproduced or not, "Real Love" is probably my favorite Beatles tune...one of my favorites ever. Just something about the chord progression and John's vocal melodies. Perfect.

Overproduced or not, "Real Love" is probably my favorite Beatles tune...one of my favorites ever. Just something about the chord progression and John's vocal melodies. Perfect.

Not really a Beatles song - a John demo with added on stuff.

I am so tired of Sir Paul f ing with Beatles tunes. Why can't he leave well enough alone?

Uh, this isn't common knowledge, but he was actually one of the original Beatles...

Fucking Jeff Lynne.

I remember sometime before Anthology 3 came out that it would be considered to release a new song on there as well, but then they decided not to at the last minute. I seem to remember the surviving Beatles at that time saying that they didn't release another new song because they felt they had said all they had to say music-wise, or something to that effect. Instead, we got an instrumental introduction on Anthology 3 that had never been released. I'm wondering if this new track is the final one that was supposed to be released back in '96.

it is that extra track.

on a side note, i was pretty pissed to see george martin do the recen Love remix album b/c when the anthologies were coming together he was asked why he was not producing and he said b/c his hearing was bad. now 10 years later he is producing and remixing. why the hell isn't martin doing the production on this. although i like jeff lynn, everything he touches sounds like Full Moon Fever or Traveling Wiburys or even worse Eldorado!!!

c

I thought George Martin's son was the main producer on the Love project...I could be wrong on that, but I thought I read it somewhere. As for the 3rd Anthology track, Geoff Emerick said that they started working on it in '94 but never finished it. I'm guessing Jeff Lynne just stepped back in to help finish it off, since he participated in the earlier stages of the song. I'm happy it's going to see the light of day after all. :yes

Not really a Beatles song - a John demo with added on stuff.

Sure it's a Beatles tune, it's got all four Beatles playing on it. It's released under the name "The Beatles". How can that not be a Beatles song yet songs like "Blackbird" or "Yesterday" or "Within You Without You" are??

Anyways, I had always heard that the third Anthology song was scraped because Harrison didn't like it?

Either way, I'm very excited.

I don't care what Lynne does to ELO or those others, but he should keep his musical sarcasm away from the Beatles.

Is there a link to this article? I looked at the abbeyrd Beatles news briefs website, which is usually a very reliable source for Beatles news, and the opinion there is that this news may not be true, at least not yet. I actually hope it is true. I'd love to hear it.

Is there a link to this article? I looked at the abbeyrd Beatles news briefs website, which is usually a very reliable source for Beatles news, and the opinion there is that this news may not be true, at least not yet. I actually hope it is true. I'd love to hear it.

here

I thought George Martin's son was the main producer on the Love project...

I believe that is correct. George Martin scored some new string stuff for a track or two, but I think that's all he did. And I was skeptical of that project until I heard it... it's great.

whats sick about this is they didnt want to release when they recorded it. and every time paul has released an album he pulls some publitcty stunt using th ebeatles name to help sell his record and now that george is dead there is no one to stop him running amuck now with thtat name

all the same im glad to it coming out i just wish the evervy article and ad for it will feature a refernbce to the new (probably crap) mccartney recory

I thought George Martin's son was the main producer on the Love project...I could be wrong on that, but I thought I read it somewhere. As for the 3rd Anthology track, Geoff Emerick said that they started working on it in '94 but never finished it. I'm guessing Jeff Lynne just stepped back in to help finish it off, since he participated in the earlier stages of the song. I'm happy it's going to see the light of day after all. :yes

it was george martin and his son who did love. anyway, it makes sense that lynn is back to finish up. just wish martin had been involved a bit more with the anthologies. wonder what it would've sounded like.

on second thought, he really botched up some America records in the 70s with mucho overproduction.

who knows...at least glad its not bob rock or steve lillywhite or something horrendous like that!