FileSharing Question

After reading the thread on the RIAA's college crackdown, a question came to mind. What exactly is the RIAA looking for? For example, if I'm downloading music from Limewire but don't share the files, am I at risk? What about the site out of Russia that sells songs for $.19 which are available before the cd is even released?

I would imagine the Russian one would be a definite no-no, since they are actually profiting, and there's no way in hell RIAA is getting a cut. As far as downloading and not sharing, I think that's probably much safer, but more of a dick move. :lol

In my defense, I don't know how to share. I just downloaded Limewire and started pulling in songs like crazy. If my files are available for others, I am completely unaware.

I hate to be a dick. :unsure Maybe I should sacrifice and learn to share.

I hate to be a dick. :unsure Maybe I should sacrifice and learn to share.

I'm kidding. :) Just pointing out that if you're downloading and not sharing, you're asking everyone else to assume the risk you're not willing to bear. But it's moot, because the other users are clearly willing to risk sharing whether you are or not.

As A-man posted, P2P (Limewire included) is inherently risky. My only real experience with P2P sharing, aside from Oink, was one of the -ster clones a few years ago. I think I'm pretty safe from prosecution for sharing "Bang" by Gorky Park.

I think I'm pretty safe from prosecution for sharing "Bang" by Gorky Park.

YSI?

If you're serious, I know I have it on a disc I burned with my personal files from my work computer when I moved up here. But you'll have to wait until I get home. Shouldn't you be answering the phones or sending an angry email to the boss anyway?