I've been saving up to get a new amp and pedals for the good ol' Washburne but decided, why not go all out and do it right? What is your favorite set-up? Guitar, pick-ups, strings, cables, pedals, amps...

What would you suggest for something that can go between jazzy excursions and crunching Neil riffs?

What would you suggest for something that can go between jazzy excursions and crunching Neil riffs?

Start with a tube amplifier with a nice clean warm tone that has a solid overdriven sound.

Next add a guitar that really suits your playing style well. For me I think a Jazzmaster would be ideal, right now I have a Strat, it doesn't quite have the warmth/muddiness of soapbar pickups...but choose something you really want to play.

Then toss in (sparingly) a few choice effects, a fuzzbox of some sort will really destroy sound if you want that Nels explosion of fuzz effect, that or an overdrive pedal just to kick your amp into it's warmer/crunchier state. Then add something that can really just obliterate your sound like a 16 second delay or similar that gives you both a loop kind of ability and modulation. That is great for just crazy sounds. Then go from there.

I've been experimenting a lot with noise and layering on a number of recordings I've been working on. I really like using an Ebow. I don't know if that's a "setup" but it sure is neat to experiment with.

I really need to get a fuzz pedal.

My favorite setup? Between my MIJ Jazzmaster and Jay Turser Sheraton copy, I'd probably go with the Jazzmaster.

I like my Supro Sahara, it's a good solid basic tube amp. If I could afford it, I'd buy a Swart Atomic Space Tone.

Pedalwise, I'd go with my Big Muff, Ibanez DE-7, Colorsound Tremolo, Boss PS-5 (especially once I figure out how to use it), and something for overdrive (DOD 250 or MXR Dist+). Oh, and a TU-2. It's hard to go wrong with delay, fuzz, and some sort of overdrive/distortion, plus a pedal or two for modulation effects.

Well, my favorite setup is my electric one since my others are just each a guitar and no amp(classical and acoustic).

But for my electric, I use a bigger amp I inherited from my Uncle (or a smaller one when I play at friend's houses). And I use a Boss RXCL-20 Loop pedal, and a fuzz factory. That's the only effects I have now, but I have a lot more I want like Holy Grail Reverb, Digital Tech-Whammy bar, 1969 fulltone fuzz, and too many more. I also have a floyd rose jackson guitar, but my dream one is fender jazzmaster, but they are very expensive.

My set up is prone to change from month-to-month, but for the most part I couldn't live without my PRS Hollowbody, Fender Bassman amp, Hot Cake pedal, and Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet pedal. On the guitar I use .11 D'Addario's, Fulltone cables, and Fender Heavy picks.

2007Guitars.jpg

(L to R back row): Fender P-Bass, Rickenbacker 360/12, Rickenbacker 360WB/6, Aria Pro II

(L to R front row): '59 reissue Strat, PRS Hollowbody w/Spruce Top and Piezo, PRS Custom 24 10 Top, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Fender Deluxe Strat.

PedalBoard.jpg

Here's the chain to the pedals: Ernie Ball volume pedal-->Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah-->Fulltone '69 Fuzz-->Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet edition-->Crowther Hot Cake-->Fulltone OCD-->MXR Phase 90-->Crowther Prunes & Custard-->Boss tuner. The Janglebox (compressor) and Boss Loop Station are left on top of my amp and activated by hand.

My set up is prone to change from month-to-month, but for the most part I couldn't live without my PRS Hollowbody, Fender Bassman amp, Hot Cake pedal, and Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet pedal. On the guitar I use .11 D'Addario's, Fulltone cables, and Fender Heavy picks.

2007Guitars.jpg

(L to R back row): Fender P-Bass, Rickenbacker 360/12, Rickenbacker 360WB/6, Aria Pro II

(L to R front row): '59 reissue Strat, PRS Hollowbody w/Spruce Top and Piezo, PRS Custom 24 10 Top, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Fender Deluxe Strat.

PedalBoard.jpg

Here's the chain to the pedals: Ernie Ball volume pedal-->Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah-->Fulltone '69 Fuzz-->Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet edition-->Crowther Hot Cake-->Fulltone OCD-->MXR Phase 90-->Crowther Prunes & Custard-->Boss tuner. The Janglebox (compressor) and Boss Loop Station are left on top of my amp and activated by hand.

some great stuff you have there.

some great stuff you have there.

Thanks! I'm about to add a Nash Stratocaster (www.nashguitars.com) in Fiesta Red. Guitars and their related gadgets are more affordable than psychotherapy, and a lot more fun!

I have a 2007 Gibson SG Standard with DR 10-46 Brite Wires. (main guitar)

Here are my pedals (in order)

Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah Wah (Standard)

Modified Ibanez Tube Screamer (more gain, removed .22uF capacitor before tone circuit to take the "blanket" off)

Fulltone OCD

Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe (the big box version, with an Ernie Ball Volume pedal to change speed)

Line 6 Delay Modeler

all signal cables are Monster

into

'99 Vox AC30 (with Celestion Greenbacks, J/J power and Rectifier Tubes and Tungsram reissue pre-amp tubes)

I also have a Leslie Model 25 that I modded for 2 speeds that I'd like to incorperate into this rig at some point.

Thanks! I'm about to add a Nash Stratocaster (www.nashguitars.com) in Fiesta Red. Guitars and their related gadgets are more affordable than psychotherapy, and a lot more fun!

Where's a good place to get a Crunes?

Where's a good place to get a Crunes?

You can order one from www.pedalgeek.com, but if at all possible I suggest you find one to try out first. They have a very specific application and are great for that, but I must admit it's not the most practical pedal to own. If you already have all the pedals you want, then by all means pick up and Prunes & Custard. If you're toying between several pedals, I'd wait on this one. The guys in my band get nervous whenever I use this pedal.

On a related note, the same company (Crowther Audio) also makes the Hot Cake. I highly recommend this pedal. You can get everything from a clean boost to a warm sounding vintage Fender tube amp with overdrive. I can't imagine playing a gig without it.

Do you know about the price difference between the Crunes and Hot Cake. I also live in Chicago land area and have not really a found place that carries these pedals. I really want to find a store because when it comes to pedals I am not big on buying something just over the internet.

Do you know about the price difference between the Crunes and Hot Cake. I also live in Chicago land area and have not really a found place that carries these pedals. I really want to find a store because when it comes to pedals I am not big on buying something just over the internet.

I hear you, I get nervous buying pedals over the internet too. I prefer to try them out first. The Hot Cake retails for $149 and the Prunes & Custard for $179. You can get them for less on eBay or Craigslist. Because the Hot Cake is so good at doing so many different things well, I'd feel safe recommending that people buy it even if they don't have the opportunity to try it first. I can't see how anyone would be disappointed. It's completely opposite for the Prunes & Custard. Although it's great at getting freaky noises that will compel listeners to wonder if they're having a stroke, it's application is so narrow that it could disappoint someone who buys without tinkering with it first.

Fun fact: Paul Crowther, who designed these pedals, was the drummer for Split Enz.

Good pickups + good tube amp = great tone. I'm a firm believer in handwound pickups; I have Harmonic Designs in my Tele and Jason Lollars in my Epi Sheraton. They're a little pricey, but well worth the return in tone. I fairly recently pulled the humbucker in my Les Paul and replaced it with a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (a P-90 single coil replica). Suddenly, this $80 pickup has made the Paul my number #1 guitar. As good as the $150 Lollars sound, there's something special about the sound of that Duncan in that particular guitar. Tone heaven!

I give my tubes a bit of a boost with a modified Ibanez Tube Screamer, since it's not always practical to turn up loud enough to get enough power tube breakup. I crank the level up all the way and only dial the overdrive to about 9 o'clock, so the pedal provides mostly level boost and just a tad bit of overdrive; it really helps the tubes do their job. I also use a Boss EQ-7 set flat, with the level cranked a bit, as a solo boost, since rarely can you count on the soundman to know when you're soloing and give your guitar a boost in the mains. Especially if you're using more than one guitar in a band, these guys (or some equivalent device) really helps keep the leads boosted where they need to be. It also does a great job serving in the same capacity as the Tube Screamer, as a level boost for a tube amp. Aside from a volume pedal I ocassionally employ, and of course the omnipresent Boss TU-2 tuner pedal, that's about all I really need. Maybe a wah from time to time would be nice, if I were to add anything to my set up, but I try not to get caught up in all this pedal madness.

1978 Fender Vibro Champ and Fender Tele.Lots of vibrato,little speed,a two second delay,a low compression,and volume and tone rolled back a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know if ANYONE cares... but some of my original playing has been compared to Neil, and i think i've gotten some pretty Wilco-y tones too...

I play a variety of guitars through a Vox AD100VT (tube amp-ers may scoff, but it serves me well).

Here's some of my babies:

HPIM1941.jpg

in the Gibson Corner: a 90s era Les Paul classic 1960s reissue, a Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway Ac/Elec, and a Satin-Finish ES-335 reissue

HPIM1946.jpg

in the Fender corner: a 90s era Mexican made Standard Strat, a very young Mexican made stanard tele

not pictured: (electrics-) Schecter Ultra III, Neptune electric 12-String, and (acoustics-) 1975 Martin D28, Washburn D10s, Ovation Legend, 1960s era Nylon String

the pedals (in the style of Nels' TECH TALK):

pedalboardpictureforsamsphilosophys.jpg

1. Ernie Ball Passive Volume Pedal Jr.

2. ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail Reverb

3. ElectroHarmonix Pulsar Tremelo

4. Boss DD6 Digital Delay

5. Boss PS3 Phase Shifter

6. Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble

7. Visual Sound Route 66 American Overdrive

8. Boss CS3 Compression Sustainer

9. Ibanez Tube Screamer

10. Fender Chromatic Tuner

11. ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi

12. Boss DS1 Distortion

13. Dunlop Crybaby Wah Wah

soon im getting a new board for it all to sit on, and replacing the boss chorus and phaser with a Fulltone DejaVibe

sorry everyone, i guess that was pretty extensive. but i love sharing my loves.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently modded my rig, added a Blues Driver as my main overdrive. Great pedal for the price, if you like gritty, kind of fuzzy overdrive (which I do). I've also been playing my hollowbody a lot more compared to the Jazzmaster. I may add a Bigsby to it as some point.

• 1 month later...

DSCF3443.jpg

The rest of my set up includes a 6 pack of Shiner Bock and a Kyser capo :thumbup

Actually, I do have an electric rig ('89 American Strat, '59 Bassman 4X10 combo, effects board) but I spend muuuch more time with those three ...