Zappa Appreciation Thread

:lol

I think this is the first time I have ever had a thread on Via Chicago get resurrected. Nice job, guys.

The Zappa Plays Zappa tour has gotten some pretty good reviews from the hardcore fans on zappa.com. If you've got disposable income and they're going to be in your area, it's apparently a nice presentation.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the beat goes

and I'm so wrong

the beat goes on

and I'm so wrong

Hey darlin', can i buy ya a couple of drinks?

You must be a Libra....love your nails...

I think this is the first time I have ever had a thread on Via Chicago get resurrected. Nice job, guys.

The Zappa Plays Zappa tour has gotten some pretty good reviews from the hardcore fans on zappa.com. If you've got disposable income and they're going to be in your area, it's apparently a nice presentation.

I am sure it is, but having been lucky enough to see the real thing a few times, there isn't enough disposable income that could get me into one of these shows....

For anyone who has not seen it, 200 Motels (the original movie, not any of the recuts) was fun and disorienting. There are also many concert films of Frank around too. Not sure how many have transitioned to DVD as opposed to VHS.

LouieB

And it's not even about The Flaming Weezers or whatever.

on the Dweezil tip...and i'm being serious...if anybody could scour the internet and hook me up w/ an digital copy of the dweezil zappa album 'confessions' by 5P today, i'll put:

'Your screen name here IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME.'

in my signature. I had the actual CD eons ago and it dissapeared by the time I graduated college. I have hankering to listen to it something fierce.

• 3 years later...

Frank Zappa Day

On Sunday Frank Zappa’s hometown of Baltimore will unveil a bronze statue of the musician to commemorate Frank Zappa Day. The statue, originally was commissioned by Zappa fans in Lithuania, will be dedicated at 2PM at the intersection of Eastern Avenue & Conkling Street, followed by a free performance by Dweezil Zappa and his Zappa Plays Zappa band. Earlier in the day, at 10AM, Zappa’s widow Gail will speak at the Creative Alliance. The day also marks the 25th anniversary of his congressional testimony opposing music censorship.

Even though I have read a bit about Zappa I forgot or didn't know he was from Baltimore. Considering he talks about growing up in California and lived there most of his life, Baltimore didn't leave much of a stamp on his work.

LouieB

What an showman!! :worship Saw him twice at The Dallas Convention Center in the early eighties. At one of the shows, Steve Vai was showered with glass after a "fan" threw a bottle into the lights above. Frank abruptly stopped the show and demanded for the audience to point out who did it. They didn't give up the guilty party and he then threatened to stop the show for good if there was anymore trouble.

Although there is certainly no comparison when it comes to Frank and Dweezil, the ZPZ show I caught in Vegas was a fitting tribute and was a damn good time!! Great to hear those songs again live.

• 2 years later...

I don't think I've ever seen such a thing as this before:

$1,000

This is a unique opportunity for you to experience life as a music distributor.  As an independent distributor, you’ll learn intimate details about the relationship between the artist and the record company, how everyone gets paid, and how the distribution process really works.  Hopefully, you’ll have a lot of fun too while we make history together.  And you will be making history in this way – in creating this Distribution Deal the master plan is to raise the money it will take to complete the Film, The Roxy Performances and get it out there in Theaters for your hot little eyes and into your hot little hands on DVD.  You are the ones who want it and you are the ones we need to help us make it happen!  So this is also a big Thank you to all the fans that are ready willing and able to participate in the ultimate adventure of distributing this record.  We are grateful – and we are hopeful that you will show us how to do it better than it has ever been done before.

I don't think I've ever seen such a thing as this before:

$1,000

God, that is a disgrace.

The Zappa Family Trust has done a horrible job with Frank's legacy. They have been circle jerking this Roxy project for years, promising to get it out, and never getting it done. Now they are thinking they are going to find a thousand suckers to cough up a thousand bucks a piece? Frank must be spinning in his grave at an ever-increasing rate.

Don't get me wrong: I'm grateful they have put out a lot of product to an (obviously) ever-dwindling fan base, but even a fair amount of that has been pretty weak. They dragged their feet forever on putting the catalog on iTunes; they mucked around with Ryko for years; they have never gotten serious about offering live shows to stream; even this past year, they made a big production of releasing a ton of remasters. Seriously? Who is going to buy this stuff for a third or fourth time, without even any bonus tracks?

I'm sorry but Gail is a freaking idiot. I will only buy something from them if it sounds very promising and has been well reviewed. Even if I had a grand to throw away, I wouldn't give it to them, knowing their history. It's sad.

• 7 months later...

With the recent passing of George Duke I was looking into some of my albums and doing a little research. I looked up Waka/Jawaka and it has credited Jeff Simmons for the slide guitar part on, "It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal". It says he played a Hawaiian guitar.... I have always been under the impression that Sneaky Pete Kleinow was playing on that track with his pedal steel guitar.
Can anyone deny or confirm the Wikipedia credit. I'd hate to be wrong all these years.

Edit: Sorry, It took me 1 minute to go get the liner notes and Sneaky Pete is undoubtedly credited for the solo. I guess now I know where I got my facts. Wikipedia is wrong.

With the recent passing of George Duke I was looking into some of my albums and doing a little research. I looked up Waka/Jawaka and it has credited Jeff Simmons for the slide guitar part on, "It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal". It says he played a Hawaiian guitar.... I have always been under the impression that Sneaky Pete Kleinow was playing on that track with his pedal steel guitar.

Can anyone deny or confirm the Wikipedia credit. I'd hate to be wrong all these years.

They both play on the track. Jeff Simmons plays the hawaiian guitar at the beginning/ending, Sneaky Pete plays the solo. 

For those who are interested in this sort of thing, the ZFT now has a new CD called Roxy by Proxy available for pre-order. I guess they couldn't find a thousand suckers to pony up a grand a piece to become "distributors." :lol

I'm sure I'll buy it eventually, but waiting to see some reviews on the zappa.com forum first. It's due out next month.