Listen! My Friends

Triplett: 40 years later, Moby Grape's best songs collected

By Gene Triplett

Entertainment Editor

They took their name from the punchline of a dumb joke, they were poorly managed and hyped almost as heavily as the Monkees, and they started falling apart before their second album was half finished when one of them went crazy with a fire ax.

Yet Moby Grape's music stands as some of the best to come out of San Francisco's late-'60s acid-fueled rock revolution. All five members of the original lineup wrote and sang, all brought differing yet complementary influences to their potent brew of folk, blues, country and straight-up rock 'n' roll, and just as early Pink Floyd had its "crazy diamond

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first album is a classic, but I'm not too bothered about getting their other stuff, really. I hope they've remastered it well, because the version of the first album I've got (which is part of a compilation - Vintage, it's called) is a bit too tinny sounding - maybe it's because of their sound, but it would be good to hear if they put a bit more bottom into the new versions.

great to hear.

Does anyone rember last year around this time rumors started to circulate that the Grape was getting back together. There was even a SF Fillmore date lined up. I was going on a road trip and was in SF that weekend; there def. was no show.

Hope this becomes a reality

What I have is the first/Wow/Grape Jam cds on the San Francisco Sound label - which were mastered off the record album releases - or so I have heard. I also have the first album on the Edsel label, the two cd anthology Vintage, and a greatest hits on vinyl from the 70s, as well as, the one that came out in May on cd. I think they are all good - the first two better than the rest - but still, I am going to get them all. I have long wanted Truely Fine Citizen and Moby Grape'69.That is actually not all of them - as they have made a few more albums throughout the years.

great to hear. Does anyone rember last year around this time rumors started to circulate that the Grape was getting back together. There was even a SF Fillmore date lined up. I was going on a road trip and was in SF that weekend; there def. was no show.Hope this becomes a reality
They did play at some Summer Of Love deal in SF this past summer. Skip's son took the place of Skip. I don't know so much about the others, but Jerry Miller plays in bars and whatnot around the area.

I also have this:

TRACKLIST CD1:[/b][/u]

01 - Introduction At Monterey Pop Festival

02 - Indifference

03 - Mr. Blues

04 - Sitting By The Window

05 - Omaha

06 - Millers Blues

07 - Hey Grandma

08 - Sitting By The Window

09 - Omaha

10 - Going Nowhere

11 - Sweet Little Angel

12 - I Am Not Willing

13 - Honky Tonk Blues

14 - Bitter Wind

15 - Murder In My Heart For The Judge

16 - Dark Magic

TRACKLIST CD2:

01 - $20 Blues

02 - Hey Grandma Blues

03 - Changes

04 - Dark Magic Part 1

05 - Dark Magic Part 2

06 - Looper

07 - 8-05

08 - Learn From Your Mistakes

09 - Can't Be So Bad

10 - Sitting By The Window

11 - Fall on You

12 - It's A Beautiful Day

13 - Big Boss Man

14 - Hey Mama

15 - I Can Only Give You Everything

Disc One:

Tracks 1-5 recorded at The Monterey Pop Festival, Monterey, Ca., June 16, 1697.

Track 6 recorded at The Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca., 1968

Tracks 7-9 recorded at Steve Pauls Scene, New York City, 1968

Tracks 10-15 unknown venue, 1967

Track 16 recorded at Winterland, San Francisco, Ca., 1967

Disc Two:

Tracks 1-2 recorded unknown venue, july 23, 1968

Tracsk 3-5 recorded at The Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca., Dec.31, 1966

Tracks 6-7 recorded at Winterland, 1967

Tracks 8-13 recorded at Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, N.Y., 1969

Tracks 14-15 Peter & The Wolves 45,PW#500, Los Angeles, 1965 featuring Peter Lewis

If any of you happen to pick up Wow/Grape Jam - check out the song Never to see where LZ got Since I've Been Loving You from.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Sundazed Music, along with the members of Moby Grape and their management, regret to announce that Sundazed has discontinued the sale and distribution of the first three Moby Grape titles, "Moby Grape," "Wow" and "Grape Jam." The two remaining albums, "Moby Grape '69" and "Truly Fine Citizen," will continue to be available from Sundazed.These titles were manufactured under license for Sundazed by Sony BMG Music Entertainment. It was Sony BMG Music Entertainment's decision to cease production of the first three titles, as a result of a longstanding and ongoing dispute over control of the Moby Grape album catalogue between Sony BMG Music Entertainment and an outside party.As Moby Grape's fans are well aware, the band's career has long been dogged by business disputes far beyond the musicians' control. These issues have contributed to keeping the band's music out of print for lengthy periods

I'm glad I managed to get my hands on the Sundazed releases of Moby Grape and Wow before they disappeared.

It's a shame - as it appears the song publishing has been straightened out, so Skip's family, and the rest of the dudes can finally get some bread. The legal stuff has been going on for years.

I see that the first 3 Sundazed releases can be found at Waffles in lossless form ;).

• 11 months later...

Sundazed is now offering the bonus tracks that were on their re-issues of Moby Grape/Wow/Grape Jam/Moby Grape '69/Truly Fine Citizen in two formats: CD or Vinyl.

Their re-issues of Moby Grape and Wow/Grape Jam are still not available to purchase. I am not sure how they are able to offer the bonus tracks that were on those releases. There must be some sort of legal deal going down. I'd get this while you can. You can still get Moby Grape '69 and Truly Fine Citizen.

The Place and the Time

1. Indifference

Columbia Records audition recording (1967)

2. Looper

Columbia Records audition recording (1967)

3. Stop

Demo recording (1967)

4. Rounder

Instrumental outtake recording from the

Moby Grape sessions (1967)

5. Sweet Ride (Never Again)

Unedited version, recorded for the motion picture

The Sweet Ride (1967)

6. Loosely Remembered

Demo recording (1967)

7. The Place and the Time

Alternate version from the Wow album sessions (1967)

8. Bitter Wind

Demo recording (1967)

9. Seeing

Alternate version from the Wow album sessions (1968)

10. What