• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just Like Gene Autry: A Foxtrot (written by Skip Spence, featuring Arthur Godfrey)

Now that we are talking about it, I need to play it on the turntable I actually have set up that plays at 78.

LouieB

But who wants that? I know, I know.

I have what you just posted, plus I found another copy a few years back, and gave it to LB. It goes for about 40-50 bucks here I think.

The Sundazed re-masters sound better than the tracks on Vintage: the Very Best of Moby Grape of Moby Grape.

But who wants that? I know, I know.

I have what you just posted, plus I found another copy a few years back, and gave it to LB. It goes for about 40-50 bucks here I think.

The Sundazed re-masters sound better than the tracks on Vintage: the Very Best of Moby Grape of Moby Grape.

i haven't heard the sundazed remasters, but i'd like to. it is better than nothing though. at least the tracks are in order - so you can listen to it normally. it's still cheap on amazon in the uk - and it only takes a week for me when i order stuff from america to the uk, so i assume it'd be the same the other way round.

apparently the tracks on vintage are remastered by sundazed, did they do it again then for the newer cds?

yeah, i agree about mp3 - or at least, paying for them.

i'm gonna search the internet to see if i can find the remastered version - cos i do think the vintage cd sounds very thin.

It's worth having though, as you get studio chatter, a nice booklet, and that version of Big is different. There are probably some other differences also.

I forgot about this:

Following a few minutes of silence there two hidden tracks on Disc Two. One is an out-take from the recording sessions of "Just Like Gene Autry: A Foxtrot" where Arthur Godfrey records his spoken introduction to the song. The second is an original radio advertisement for the album Truly Fine Citizen.

Some more information:

On October 9, 2007, Sundazed Records released a remastered CD version of the album's stereo mix containing bonus tracks, some of which were previously unreleased. In addition, Sundazed also released the album's mono mix on LP, but with no bonus tracks. Both the CD and LP versions were taken out of print, along with Wow and Grape Jam, on November 3, 2007, for reasons not officially stated. It has been widely circulated among the Moby Grape mailing list that former manager Matthew Katz, with whom the band has been in legal battles since the late 1960s, threatened to file a lawsuit against Sundazed claiming ownership of the album artwork.

Many of the songs from Wow also appear on the 2 CD collection Vintage: The Very Best of Moby Grape released in 1993. This collection includes "Foxtrot" and the complete acoustic version of "Bitter Wind". It also includes a few Wow out-takes, notably an alternate earlier version of "Bitter Wind" in a completely different rock arrangement.

The complete version of Wow was first released on CD in Japan in 1995. A newly remastered version was released by Sundazed Records on October 9, 2007 featuring a number of bonus tracks, most of which are previously unreleased. At the same time Sundazed also released the CD debut of Grape Jam in its entirety with 3 previously unreleased bonus tracks.

Both Wow and Grape Jam were taken out of print on November 3, 2007, along with Moby Grape for reasons that were not officially specified. It has been widely circulated on the Moby Grape mailing list that former manager Matthew Katz, whom the band has been in legal battles with since the late 1960s, threatened to file a lawsuit against Sundazed claiming ownership of the albums' artwork.

• 5 years later...

The deal is - the first two are out of print. Sundazed re-issued the cds, but then they had to remove them, due to legal issues. I bet you can find used copies out there. Don't buy any of the cds unless they are the Sundazed re-issues, as the San Francisco Sound cds are edited.

Just saw that my library system has the Sundazed CD re-issues of  Moby Grape (1st release) and Moby Grape '69. I have them being brought in.

Haven't listened to the  Historic Live Moby Grape Performances 1966-1969  that I purchased when it was released in long while - need to listen to this weekend.

I did a search of Sundazed and my system also has the below (among others):  Looking forward to these, too.

Fire on the Bayou - Meters

Rejuvenation - Meters

A Hard Road - John Mayall

Live at the Royal Hall 1971 - Byrds

I was actually at the Byrds 1971 show at Royal Albert. The release sounds pretty good.

LouieB

That's great --- just listened to it last night. I may be in the minority, but this version of the Byrds (as a four piece with White) is by far my favorite.

The version of Eight Miles High on the Royal Albert release is great -- the bass solo is a lot of fun.

Just noticed that Jacques Levy worked with McGuinn prior to Dylan and that Roger introduced Levy to Dylan. Also they covered a Jackson Browne song at the show, too.

How did you manage to catch the show -- did you spend a semester studying abroad or did you do the whole hippie backpacking across Europe thing?