Accessing SBS Enhanced Content

From Wilco HQ:

WILCO - SKY BLUE SKY

SUPPORT

Accessing the Enhanced/Bonus Content on Sky Blue Sky.

In order to access the bonus content, you must be connected to the internet, and the faster your connection the better.

There are actually two disc images on the Sky Blue Sky CD.

MAC: when you insert the CD into your disc drive, both disc images will appear one called "Sky Blue Sky" and one called "Sky Blue Sky Bonus Content".

WINDOWS: either double click on the My Computer icon from your desktop or choose My Computer from the Start menu. From the "Devices With Removable Storage" area there will be an icon for the Wilco CD you've inserted. Right click on the bonus content icon and choose Explore from the pop-up menu. A window should open with the bonus content with a read me file for the particular enhanced contents instructions.

Double-click or Open the file called extras.mov. This will launch a QuickTime movie.

If you see a notice that you need to Enable Flash.

On Mac OS X:

1. Open System Preferences in the Apple menu.

2. Double-click QuickTime in the Internet & Networking section.

3. Select the Advanced tab.

4. Select Enable Flash.

5. Close the QuickTime Control Panel.

On Windows:

1. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel.

2. Double-click the QuickTime Control Panel.

3. Select the Advanced tab.

4. Under Media Types, select Enable Playback Of Flash Tracks.

5. Close the QuickTime Control Panel.

After changing the QuickTime preference. Quit QuickTime and then relaunch the extras.mov

Clicking on the Wilco CD icon made my desktop PC crash three times in a row, so I gave up and tried it on my laptop. That worked smoothly.

Can I half-drunkenly ask a totally off-topic question (he asked, moments before proceeding before anybody had a chance to answer)?

What's so bad about Real? I love RealPlayer and QT, which seem to be the most reviled media players on the whole of the internet. I find Real is a nice no-frills player on which streaming presentations are reliable and don't ever bottom out during broadcasts, etc. And Quicktime, hell, it's the only streaming video player that closely approximates DVD quality.

Other players basically kind of suck out loud by comparison. There's WinAmp, which, my god, offends my aesthetic sense to no end with its Millennium Falcon dashboard chic and it's one millimetre tall display when minimized (seriously, are we supposed to be able to use this without tearing out clumps of hair in frustration?). Then there's Windows Media Player, which is solid as an MP3 player, but which is basically untenable as a means of watching video clips. The video looks like a blocky patchwork quilt and the audio tends to burp and blurt like a flatulent old man on his sixteenth can of beans...

And now I go to bed.

When I follow the above instructions I only get the 1-12 tracks displayed..Is the enhanced content only available on certain formats???

I got the deluxe edition with the dvd...

Tks

When I started in Windows Explorer, I could only get the 1-12 tracks to list. But when I started from the My Computer icon (from the Start menu), it worked properly. Did you make sure to start from the My Computer icon?

WINDOWS: either double click on the My Computer icon from your desktop or choose My Computer from the Start menu. From the "Devices With Removable Storage" area there will be an icon for the Wilco CD you've inserted. Right click on the bonus content icon and choose Explore from the pop-up menu. A window should open with the bonus content with a read me file for the particular enhanced contents instructions.

Can I half-drunkenly ask a totally off-topic question (he asked, moments before proceeding before anybody had a chance to answer)?

What's so bad about Real? I love RealPlayer and QT, which seem to be the most reviled media players on the whole of the internet. I find Real is a nice no-frills player on which streaming presentations are reliable and don't ever bottom out during broadcasts, etc. And Quicktime, hell, it's the only streaming video player that closely approximates DVD quality.

I like QuickTime.

Real has a history of installing adware and other shit on your computer. That's the biggest reason I banished it from the kingdom. Maybe they're not doing that any more, but they still were as of a couple of years ago.

Quick Time is alright - but I notice they keep trying to get me to put iTunes on my computer when they do an update.

Fortunately they still offer a standalone player, which is good because I have no interest in iTunes.

I use Winamp if I am playing Mp3s or Flac files - and Windows Media Player for cds. I use VLC Media Player for all video stuff - except for the Wilco or Pete Townsend stuff.

Back to accessing the enhanced content...i am still stuck!

I put the CD in my laptop, go to My Computer, but i dont know where to find the 'Devices With Removable Storage'. Usually, i just right click the CD Drive, and the folder opens up with the secret stuff in it, but the Wilco CD only has the 12 audio tracks.

What's in the Enhanced stuff anyway?

So far, it is a download of The Thanks I Get. I had to enable flash on my Quicktime in order to get this to work. Did you follow what Mr. Beltman posted?

I'm trying to follow Mr. Beltman. I dont know where the Device for Removable Storage is though.

Also, when i go to Control Panel, and open up Quicktime Settings, i can't see an Advanced tab.

is there anyway this can be explained even more simply? Sorry...but i am thankful for any help.

I'm trying to follow Mr. Beltman. I dont know where the Device for Removable Storage is though.

I'm on XP. When I click on the "My Computer" icon, this screen comes up:

untitled1.jpg

Also, when i go to Control Panel, and open up Quicktime Settings, i can't see an Advanced tab.

The Quicktime settings, at least as stated in these instructions, can be adjusted within Quicktime itself, not the operating system's Control Panel. Open up the Quicktime program, and then follow the steps.

I hope this helps!