The inevitable sell out post

Wilco has opted to put their art in the context of a car commercial, it doesn't make much sense to me, so I'm thinking they wanted some money. That's okay by me.

One of my favorite bands from when I was younger, The Suicide Machines, who were as anti-establishment as possible had a song sold to Disney, which ended up in a Mary Kate and Ashley movie. Knowing the band somewhat personally, and what I'd describe as quite well artistically, I look at liscenced songs in a very different light.

Wilco might have negotiated a contract years ago, with the thought that no one would ever even approach them with the kind of music they were making.

Also, where was this anger when California Stars was in a commercial?

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, where was this anger when California Stars was in a commercial?

If you look in the archives, you'll probably come across a thread or two.

If you look in the archives, you'll probably come across a thread or two.

Yeah, I probably should have taken a look. Anyway, there are about a million things I could have been doing in the time I spent reading and replying to this, things that might actually have an impact on people's opinions or perspectives. I'm going to give up arguing on the internet.

jesus...you people are taking this way too seriously. it's just a car ad and you're making moral judgement on people who you think you know because of the music they play. just because they are in car ads doesn't negate the fact that they give out their music for free on a regular basis, have had their album bought by the same company twice, and have made music that we all agree rivals even the messianic Beatles or Dylan. that's like saying to shill for your own car you're contributing to the problem so therefore you're just as bad as the company that employs tactics to get you to buy them. get over this "holier than thou" attitude. yes, the commercial industry is an egregious attack on our consciouses, but that doesn't negate the fact of who the band is: a bunch of guys who made some of the best, freshest music in a long time. that should be all that matters in the long run to anyone, because despite our best wishes, we're not Jeff Tweedy's pal and the most we can get out of his exsistence on Earth is his music, not our shallow judgement based off a silly commercial.

and marketing is very much an artform, but that requires a bit of specific education in that regard.

You

cat power sold unreleased cover songs to cingular and that one diamond company, and then she went and became a sort of spokesperson for chanel. i was mad until i saw her live for the fourth time and she told the audience that she was saving up to buy a personal submarine. i thought that was adorable and that's when i realized that 'selling out' is okay if you just want to buy a personal submarine. maybe there will be an email from WILCO HQ regarding the reasons for the commercials, but i have a hunch jeff just wants a submarine.

edit: i'm serious about selling out being okay for a personal submarine. that's the only thing i can think of that would be worth selling my songs to be used in commercials for

when? before capitalism was invented?

That's a start.

I believe you are vain.

And blind.

I hate people when they're not polite!

I guess it was polite for you to call me a liar? Hmmm

If you had a new Motorolla phone, you could browse the internet and learn about how the music industry functioned before capitalism from the palm of your hand.

Too funny - you are, no sarcam intended or implied - cracking me up.

Hip, ironic detachment - I get it.

goddamnit, now I'm gonna have to buy a fucking VW, and I really wanted to stick with Honda. Damn you Wilco!!! :realmad

This is a lot like the time I started drinking Diet Coke and smoking when IATTBYH came out. Also, getting migraines. Also, taking painkillers.

You'll be happy to know though, since getting out of rehab I've gotten a lot closer to my friends, and lately I'm just focusing on making something that sounds really beautiful.

edit: i'm serious about selling out being okay for a personal submarine. that's the only thing i can think of that would be worth selling my songs to be used in commercials for

How about a pony?

AM

BT

ST

YHF

AGIB

SBS

Nicely done. Thanks for putting all of this back in the proper perspective. :thumbup

Most people like Spoon on this board remember "I Turn My Camera On"? Or when Zeppelin sold "Rock N' Roll" to Cadallac? They barely sold any of their songs except for the School Of Rock movie and Jack Black had to get on his knees for the Immigrant Song!

I say congrats for Jeff and Wilco for the VW commercial.

When the devil came, he was not red, he was chrome and he said:

cruise control

electric power steering

tilt and telescopic steering wheel

front and rear cupholders

remote trunk release

front and rear door pockets

front seatback storage

12V front, 12V rear and 12V cargo area power outlet(s)

front console with storage

retained accessory power

so precise.....

When and where does it end – the constant marketing – the endless pitch? We as a people are losing our souls, the very essence of what makes us human – for what? A fancy new car to park in the space where our souls once resided?

I'm sorry, but if you are going to let something so trite as a song in a commercial start to eat away at your soul, then that's your problem.

I love music. It's an integral part of my life. I choose to not let something like an ad with a song i love in the background ruin the

music for me. No matter how you look at it, music is a product. Maybe Wilco should just stop charging fees for their concerts and give

everything away so that they are not seen as 'selling out'.

edit: the above is my opinion.