• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was after fan voting. It was on the band's short list. If they had kept doing the Halloween shows, they would've played it by now, I'm sure of it.

I would love to see them do that (maybe they will still?)

I was saying they'd be relieved because Lamb demands technical wizardry while Loaded is essentially strumming chords.

What were the other finalists? Is that info on phish.net?

I would love to see them do that (maybe they will still?)

I was saying they'd be relieved because Lamb demands technical wizardry while Loaded is essentially strumming chords.

What were the other finalists? Is that info on phish.net?

Nope. I was at a party with them that weekend and they said it was between Lamb and the one that won out. They wouldn't tell me what won out.

Phil Collins is the Devil !

Shut up. Phil is a fantastic drummer - maybe only Bonham and Moon were better.

this thread would be much cooler if it were about Sega Genesis.

No, it wouldn't.

My point was that the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is possibly the most important record to Trey Anastasio and a huge influence of Phish.

so because i like trey and phish, i have to be a genesis fan?

for the record, i've never really giving genesis much of a chance. which may be a mistake. i'll never know until i actually listen to them. however, i still play my old sega genesis and i was hoping that's what this thread was about, although i pretty much knew it was referring to the band. so i tried to be hilarious.

for the record, i've never really giving genesis much of a chance. which may be a mistake. i'll never know until i actually listen to them. however, i still play my old sega genesis and i was hoping that's what this thread was about, although i pretty much knew it was referring to the band. so i tried to be hilarious.

Sure.

My post was tongue in cheek. You didn't even bust on Genesis in your post. It just seemed to me to be an ironic scenario. I would recommend checking out some Genesis, especially Lamb. It puts tunes like You Enjoy Myself in perspective.

Sure.

My post was tongue in cheek. You didn't even bust on Genesis in your post. It just seemed to me to be an ironic scenario. I would recommend checking out some Genesis, especially Lamb. It puts tunes like You Enjoy Myself in perspective.

i will check it out.

I liked my Sega Genesis too, but I don't play it anymore. I still play Genesis records.

Whenever I see anything about Genesis or Phil Collins I think about Roger Waters' comments about "poor Phil Collins" from this interview for Musician Magazine for Amused To Death. (I can't believe that album is 16 years old.)

http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/band/interview...musician92.html

>"You can draw a line between what I'm interested in and what I'm not interested in," he said. "On one side you can name Dylan and Lennon, who observe the world and have "feelings", and write songs directly from those feelings. On the vapid side you have pop groups who need material and write songs to fill the hole, rather than getting somebody else. But they might just as well get somebody else, because it's a manufacturing process. It's not poetry, because it doesn't spring from heart or guts or wherever John Lennon's or Dylan's songs came from. And in my view - I seem to always wind up attacking poor Phil Collins," he laughs, "but it's only because he's so visible - he's symptomatic of an awful lot of if. He might well disagree and so might his fans, but the "feeling" I get is that he's pretending to be a songwriter or a rock'n'roller. It's an act. That's why it's unsatisfying. And those videos underscore that feeling. If you cared about what you were doing, you would "not be able" to do that silly walk, one behind the other, because you would find it impossible to ridicule your work in that way. 'Mister Picasso, we think it would sell this work if you hung by your heels from a crane and held it upside-down with your trousers down.' Pablo's not gonna do that because he's serious about what he does. Just a passing thought. That's taken over an awful lot of the business. You could say, 'Well, why shouldn't it?' Absolutely "no" reason, so long as it doesn't take over and "squeeze" out the Lennons and Dylans because they're too good for it. They "won't" take their trousers down and do silly walks on the beach."

Whenever I see anything about Genesis or Phil Collins I think about Roger Waters' comments about "poor Phil Collins" from this interview for Musician Magazine for Amused To Death. (I can't believe that album is 16 years old.)

http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/band/interview...musician92.html

>"You can draw a line between what I'm interested in and what I'm not interested in," he said. "On one side you can name Dylan and Lennon, who observe the world and have "feelings", and write songs directly from those feelings. On the vapid side you have pop groups who need material and write songs to fill the hole, rather than getting somebody else. But they might just as well get somebody else, because it's a manufacturing process. It's not poetry, because it doesn't spring from heart or guts or wherever John Lennon's or Dylan's songs came from. And in my view - I seem to always wind up attacking poor Phil Collins," he laughs, "but it's only because he's so visible - he's symptomatic of an awful lot of if. He might well disagree and so might his fans, but the "feeling" I get is that he's pretending to be a songwriter or a rock'n'roller. It's an act. That's why it's unsatisfying. And those videos underscore that feeling. If you cared about what you were doing, you would "not be able" to do that silly walk, one behind the other, because you would find it impossible to ridicule your work in that way. 'Mister Picasso, we think it would sell this work if you hung by your heels from a crane and held it upside-down with your trousers down.' Pablo's not gonna do that because he's serious about what he does. Just a passing thought. That's taken over an awful lot of the business. You could say, 'Well, why shouldn't it?' Absolutely "no" reason, so long as it doesn't take over and "squeeze" out the Lennons and Dylans because they're too good for it. They "won't" take their trousers down and do silly walks on the beach."

wow, he fails to mention Phil is a kick ass drummer and participated in writing, along with fellow "silly walker" Tony Banks, tons of great prog tunes in the seventies, some of which put Floyd to shame

wow, he fails to mention Phil is a kick ass drummer and participated in writing, along with fellow "silly walker" Tony Banks, tons of great prog tunes in the seventies, some of which put Floyd to shame

I've always thought Trick of the Tail was a really excellent record for those who need to hear some post-Gabriel stuff.

I was on board until about the "Abacab" era - it came out about the same time as Crimson had re-tooled and released Discipline. Play both of those records back-to-back - it's obvious that Crimson had decided to stay progessive (and not sell a lot of records) and Genesis made a very concious decision to make as much money as possible..."not that there's anything wrong with that" - but it certainly didn't do much for the music. IMO.

I've always thought Trick of the Tail was a really excellent record for those who need to hear some post-Gabriel stuff.

I was on board until about the "Abacab" era - it came out about the same time as Crimson had re-tooled and released Discipline. Play both of those records back-to-back - it's obvious that Crimson had decided to stay progessive (and not sell a lot of records) and Genesis made a very concious decision to make as much money as possible..."not that there's anything wrong with that" - but it certainly didn't do much for the music. IMO.

I pretty much totally agree with you, plus Discipline is about my favorite King Crimson album!

What a great live album with the band continuing to play a lot of Gabriel era songs -- note that Bill Bruford of Yes and King Crimson drums on the awesome version of "The Cinema Show", which unlike in later concerts and on 3 Sides Live, is done in its entirety as on Selling England By the Pound!

Yeah, that record got a TON of spins here way back when. Back when USA Network had the "Night Flight" program I taped a documentary of that tour. Very cool stuff.

Yeah, that record got a TON of spins here way back when. Back when USA Network had the "Night Flight" program I taped a documentary of that tour. Very cool stuff.

I saw a couple tours after that one and the lighting/staging were great. Loved the rotating mirrors above the stage. I'm guessing those went away during the Duke and later period.

After many years of guffawing at Genesis fans and pshawing their music, I have found myself listening to a lot of their early stuff up to Duke and liking a whole lot of it. Damn, informative and interesting music magazine article! But that 80's stuff is still pure shite though.

After many years of guffawing at Genesis fans and pshawing their music, I have found myself listening to a lot of their early stuff up to Duke and liking a whole lot of it. Damn, informative and interesting music magazine article! But that 80's stuff is still pure shite though.

It's very easy to put a beat down on the pop mid-late '80s era. I'd venture to say that close to none of us posting in this thread are regularly spinning Invisible Touch and the like. The period of '70 to '80, with or without Peter Gabriel, was pretty unique, though. So, I basically agree with you . . .

tony banks is the greatest musician who ever lived

all-time top-5 band for me

tremendous up through wind & wuthering and still pretty damn good up through duke

always thought lamb was a wee bit overrated, a little thin in areas ... great record but selling england, foxtrot and nursery cryme and even trick of the tail were their peak moments. although the high points on lamb are ridiculously great (carpet crawlers, lilywhite lilith, lamb, riding the scree and of course in the cage)

my genesis top 10

1. supper's ready

2. musical box

3. cinema show

4. firth of fifth

5. one for the vine

6. watcher of the skies

7. you might recall

8. the knife

9. burning rope

10. afterglow

that genesis is not in the r&r hall of fame is just a fucking travesty

• 3 weeks later...
Any of dudes familiar with this film? It looks pretty cool.

Genesis: In Concert

Genesis Live 1976 with Bill Bruford: Supper's Ready (Pt. II)

Yes, I do have this on VHS - I taped it from the Night Flight program back in the mid 80's. It's very good.

Apparently, there are some issues with the version you can get now . I bet that dude wanted a bunch of money and they would not pay. I'd like to see it.

The film was released on laserdisc in Japan in 1992.

The 2007 reissue of A Trick of the Tail includes Genesis: In Concert as a feature on a bonus DVD. The quality, however, is far from an optimum standard. The film appears to have been transferred from the laserdisc master videotapes, and not directly from the source film reels.

Director Tony Maylam still possesses all of the source films. It is therefore hoped that one day a complete concert performance will be cut and released in high-definition.