all-star game was quick so watching this genesis 2007 rome show in front of 500,000 in rome

unbelievable how banks is reduced to some disinterested faceless sideman, although i guess cage/cinema show is in here somewhere

stuermer is playing these incredible complex lyrical melodic solos and banks - the lord god king of complex lyrical melodic solos once upon a time - is content to just sit there and just add color

weird

collins sounds great actually, surprisingly

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like any chance of a proper Genesis tour in the near future may have gone. Phil Colins has had to retire from the drum-stool (all he was good for?) due to ongoing back problems. Aparently he did some seroius damage to his vertebrae on the last re-union tour and won't be playing again. Can live without the re-union shows tbh but I would really love to see them back in the studio with Gabriel and Hackett as I feel they could create something interesting. Maybe an update of Selling England By The Pound with some social commentry on the state of the UK at the moment.

In reference to the above point, I felt similary sad watching Mr.Banks of the Rome DVD. He was always the soul of that band but it seemed that the power shifted over to Collins in the mid-eighties. Has anyone ever checked out the Tony Banks solo records? Is there anything worth picking up out there? He never seemed to break out in the same way as Collins/Gabriel/Rutherford and Hackett.

Looks like any chance of a proper Genesis tour in the near future may have gone. Phil Colins has had to retire from the drum-stool (all he was good for?) due to ongoing back problems. Aparently he did some seroius damage to his vertebrae on the last re-union tour and won't be playing again. Can live without the re-union shows tbh but I would really love to see them back in the studio with Gabriel and Hackett as I feel they could create something interesting. Maybe an update of Selling England By The Pound with some social commentry on the state of the UK at the moment.

In reference to the above point, I felt similary sad watching Mr.Banks of the Rome DVD. He was always the soul of that band but it seemed that the power shifted over to Collins in the mid-eighties. Has anyone ever checked out the Tony Banks solo records? Is there anything worth picking up out there? He never seemed to break out in the same way as Collins/Gabriel/Rutherford and Hackett.

Saw Genesis on the Duke tour in Cardiff around late 70's just when they were starting to go dire. Remember them playing stuff like Cinema Show which I loved. But the new stuff was not good - guess all the punk/new wave stuff was taking over by then and for those bands Genesis were the enemy: to be destroyed. And that was fair enough - pre-Duke they were a great band but afterwards truly embarrassing.

Saw Genesis on the Duke tour in Cardiff around late 70's just when they were starting to go dire. Remember them playing stuff like Cinema Show which I loved. But the new stuff was not good - guess all the punk/new wave stuff was taking over by then and for those bands Genesis were the enemy: to be destroyed. And that was fair enough - pre-Duke they were a great band but afterwards truly embarrassing.

I think there was some good stuff post-Duke but it was just a bit thin on the ground. I also feel that, in a pop context, Invisible Touch is a really good album. Not to my taste, but still very good. 'Home By The Sea' is a good tune, as is 'Domino' and 'The Brazilian'. I was reading about the Duke album recently and apparently a few of the tracks were originaly written to be one long song, a kind of eighties 'Suppers Ready'. That could have been interesting. I believe the songs that were originaly all linked were Behind The Line, Duchess, Guide Vocal, Dukes Travels and Duke End.

P.s....Birmingham City? You want to be supporting Spurs mate!!!

I think there was some good stuff post-Duke but it was just a bit thin on the ground. I also feel that, in a pop context, Invisible Touch is a really good album. Not to my taste, but still very good. 'Home By The Sea' is a good tune, as is 'Domino' and 'The Brazilian'. I was reading about the Duke album recently and apparently a few of the tracks were originaly written to be one long song, a kind of eighties 'Suppers Ready'. That could have been interesting. I believe the songs that were originaly all linked were Behind The Line, Duchess, Guide Vocal, Dukes Travels and Duke End.

Born and grew up in Brum so life sentence assured....

Spurs? Harry's bubble will burst.Bit lucky when we played you the other week - very late goal when we could have nicked it. Was at the Brum derby last weekend - nasty match (but just the way I like it) Villa really hate us - but its mutual.

after the original Phil story appeared, Phil backed off a little bit saying he doesn't know if he's definitely done drumming forever, but his back condition won't let him do it now

but if phil / tony / steve / mike / peter want to tour with chester thompson on the kit and play only stuff up through lamb, i'll accept that as a genuine genesis reunion!

What, Abacab was not a good album?

as far as that long Duke Suite, wasn't Turn It On Again supposed to be part of that?

also, has anyone heard the 2007 remixed versions of the albums. some reviews say they sound too 80s-ish.

as far as that long Duke Suite, wasn't Turn It On Again supposed to be part of that?

also, has anyone heard the 2007 remixed versions of the albums. some reviews say they sound too 80s-ish.

I have them and I think they are great. However, they have seemed to get a lot of negative press from people who know what they're talking about, in audio terms. Sound good to me though. I think you're right about Turn It On Again. The two-disk SACD versions of the albums have great documentaries on them as well as some nice extras.

I have them and I think they are great. However, they have seemed to get a lot of negative press from people who know what they're talking about, in audio terms. Sound good to me though. I think you're right about Turn It On Again. The two-disk SACD versions of the albums have great documentaries on them as well as some nice extras.

good to hear the remasters are good. And Then There Were Three needed a lot of help. It always sounded muddy to me. Maybe I'll pick that one up. Thanks for the info.

btw-i did my own edited version of the duke suite once. pretty fun.

good to hear the remasters are good. And Then There Were Three needed a lot of help. It always sounded muddy to me.

this is the one genesis record that has totally not held up very well for me ... i think the songs are muddy, in addition to the recording

the rutherford stuff just slogs along through the muck, doesn't it ... say it's all right joe goes on for what, 40 minutes? ... snowbound, deep in the motherlode ... really the only tracks that holds up for me are burning rope & down and out

good to hear the remasters are good. And Then There Were Three needed a lot of help. It always sounded muddy to me. Maybe I'll pick that one up. Thanks for the info.

btw-i did my own edited version of the duke suite once. pretty fun.

The 'And Then there Were Three' two-disk set has a really good documentary on it. I've always loved that album, the first Genesis record I owned. Tracks like 'Undertow' and 'Burning Rope' hold special memories for me. It does sound markedly better remastered.

This is gonna be AWESOME. I sure wish Wheelco was still around here. He must be drooling over this.

In response to Hardwood, that '73 London show is killer! Wheel sent me that one, and the Jan. '75 LLDOB show, and a couple others. All of it is essential listening imo.

Lurking around here just a few minutes tonight, some day I'll get back in the VC swing.

The '73 Rainbow show is awesome, but the recordings that became the original Genesis Live are tops! The LA Shrine '75 LLDOB is great as well ... word is they have another master soundboard LLDOB recording as well that's being held back for some reason

Not sure if this has been mentioned in another thread but Genesis are finally up for nomination the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. They are up against the likes of KISS, Chili Peppers, the Hollies, the Stooges and LL Cool J (?). I'd be very surprised if they get in but it might help to bring the guys together in the public arena.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in another thread but Genesis are finally up for nomination the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. They are up against the likes of KISS, Chili Peppers, the Hollies, the Stooges and LL Cool J (?). I'd be very surprised if they get in but it might help to bring the guys together in the public arena.

genesis should tell the "rock 'n' roll hall of fame" to go fuck itself

what a fraud that thing is

the red hot chili peppers? have they ever written a good song? and LL Cool J? seriously? he's got a bunch of songs better than Supper's Ready I'm sure...

LL Cool J? seriously? he's got a bunch of songs better than Supper's Ready I'm sure...

:D

Anyone else agree that the live Collins version of 'Cinema Show' on 'Seconds Out' is way better than the Gabriel studio original.

Not so much the vocal, but the long keyboard solo is just amazing - sonically so much betteer than the underwhelming (in comparison) studio recording.

Anyone else agree that the live Collins version of 'Cinema Show' on 'Seconds Out' is way better than the Gabriel studio original.

Not so much the vocal, but the long keyboard solo is just amazing - sonically so much betteer than the underwhelming (in comparison) studio recording.

i haven't listened to seconds out in probably a decade, but i do have about 150 live genesis shows, and i couldn't agree more with this statement

after gabriel left, cinema show really became a showpiece for the banks solo at the end, where on selling england, it's just kind of the quiet coda

genesis was never a better live band than 1978 and banks seemed to enjoy that without gabriel's theatrics, his playing became much more of a showpiece in the band

i didn't see genesis until 1974 and they were great, but the 1976 through 1980 tours were all just beyond what the band ever was before in terms of sound and performance. i love hackett but let's face it, darryl steurmer's chops blow away hackett. his playing on those late 1970s shows is astonishing.

i do have sheet music for the banks cinema show solo somewhere if anybody wants to try playing it at home! it's very challenging, although nowhere near the supper's ready 9/8 solo in complexity. banks' phrasings are otherworldly

i haven't listened to seconds out in probably a decade, but i do have about 150 live genesis shows, and i couldn't agree more with this statement

after gabriel left, cinema show really became a showpiece for the banks solo at the end, where on selling england, it's just kind of the quiet coda

genesis was never a better live band than 1978 and banks seemed to enjoy that without gabriel's theatrics, his playing became much more of a showpiece in the band

i didn't see genesis until 1974 and they were great, but the 1976 through 1980 tours were all just beyond what the band ever was before in terms of sound and performance. i love hackett but let's face it, darryl steurmer's chops blow away hackett. his playing on those late 1970s shows is astonishing.

i do have sheet music for the banks cinema show solo somewhere if anybody wants to try playing it at home! it's very challenging, although nowhere near the supper's ready 9/8 solo in complexity. banks' phrasings are otherworldly

Wow, you don't hear these sentiments expressed everyday! (post-peter>peter era, darryl>steve). I've always preferred the '70-'75 years more than what came after, although Trick and Seconds are fantastic records. But I will defer to you HF because you have listened to a HELL of a lot more of the Post Gabriel than I have. Maybe we could hook up a trade sometime! :thumbup

Wow, you don't hear these sentiments expressed everyday! (post-peter>peter era, darryl>steve). I've always preferred the '70-'75 years more than what came after, although Trick and Seconds are fantastic records. But I will defer to you HF because you have listened to a HELL of a lot more of the Post Gabriel than I have. Maybe we could hook up a trade sometime! :thumbup

not saying i like the phil-era stuff more ... although i do think wind & wuthering and trick of the tail are terrific (and i think lamb is a little overrated). to me, trespass / nursery cryme / foxtrot / selling england is genesis at the peak of its powers.

but i just think that because of the way the band evolved and probably because of the way the technology evolved throughout the 1970s, the live shows were on another level musically on the late 1970s and early 1980s tours

amazing body of work they have

Article from Billboard.com:

Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks isn't taking his tuxedo to the dry cleaner yet. But he's hoping that the British prog rockers, who are on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot for the first time, wind up collecting trophies at the March 15 induction ceremony in New York City.

"It'll be great if it does happen," Banks tells Billboard.com, "but I can't really tell whether we're going to be one of the ones that goes there. It would be good to happen, I think. It would be nice."

A Genesis induction would, of course, create the potential for a reunion of the Peter Gabriel-fronted 1970-75 lineup, with Phil Collins on drums, that's been rumored for the past five years. Collins recently announced he has a back condition from years of wear and tear that prohibits him from drumming and could complicate such a performance, but Banks says "we'll face that particular hurdle when we get to it." It does, however, render any other future Genesis reunion "a long shot," according to the keyboardist. "I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it."

While the Hall of Fame announcement looms, Genesis is giving fans plenty to tuck into. A new 10-disc box set, "Genesis Live 1973-2007," comes out Sept. 29 featuring four of the group's five concert sets, an open slot for "Live Over Europe 2007," unreleased material from 1973 and 1975, and video footage, all remastered.

Banks, who's been active in compiling Genesis' series of box sets since 2007, says he "wasn't so sure about doing the live stuff" in this fashion but is happy with the result. "I think it's fun to hear the (music) in different versions for fans who like the stuff, anyhow," he explains. "As a first introduction to Genesis I think the studio albums are definitely better, but it's quite interesting to hear how we did these very complex pieces live. They take on a bit more fluency, I think."

Genesis' next release will be a 2010 box that compiles the group's concert videos. There will be no duplication from the box sets, Banks says, but there will be some previously unreleased material, including 40 minutes of "home movie" footage that Collins shot during the making of the 1983 "Genesis" album. Like the new live box, it will feature an empty slot for the "When in Rome 2007" DVD.

Banks, who's also releasing a remastered version of his 1979 solo album "A Curious Feeling," adds that Genesis is still planning to start making individual concerts from the archives available on its web site, though no firm plan is in place yet. "At some point we will do it," he promises. "We've just spent a lot of time recently doing all this other stuff, but I think it will happen. Whether any quality control goes into it, I don't know, really. Perhaps you hang it out, dirty laundry and all. Maybe somebody can get ahold of all this stuff and make a compilation of all the worst bits and stick them together and see what it sounds like. I think it would be quite funny!"

I have finally gotten around to seriously listening to Gabriel era Genesis after I read the thread in JAF that compared Muzzle of Bees to Stagnation. I am vaguely familiar with the Collins era radio hits, and "You Have Your Own Special Way" was on a lot of my Dad's mix tapes, but other than that I really didn't know a lot about their music.

So I picked up Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, Trespass, and well it's all I've listened to in the last week. I've always dug Gabriel's solo stuff, and these albums are really incredible. I like just about everything about them, and I've been kicking myself for over looking them for so long. Ah, well, you can't be on top of everything. I have a feeling this is going to be the beginning of a massive prog-rock kick for me. As if I needed another fairly anti-social musical genre to get obsessed with.

--Mike